SOFA on Chromebook

Jeff Gross

Sep 22, 2019, 9:10:12 AM9/22/19
to sofastatistics
Has anyone been able to install SOFA on a new Chromebook running Linux?
Kernel =4.18.44
Based on Debian Stretch
Right now I cannot satisfy the dependencies.  Specifically:
According to apt-get  python3 is already the newest version (3.5.3-1), but SOFA requires 3.6
According to apt-get python3-wxgtk4.0 cannot be located.
Any thoughts?

Dutchman

Jan 2, 2020, 9:56:32 PM1/2/20
to sofastatistics
I'd be interested too.

maybe an appimage that runs on all distros?  Much easier than flatpak or snap.

Grant Paton-Simpson

Jan 11, 2020, 5:58:24 PM1/11/20
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com

Is there anyone who is willing to have a go at making such an appimage?

--

---

Dutchman

Jan 14, 2020, 5:17:49 AM1/14/20
to sofastatistics

As a chroembook/cloudready machine owner I considered the remmark about a volunteer.

On chromebooks, as soon as debian gets upgraded in Crostini, chances are sofatstats can work because of the more recent versions of python-wxgtk and other packages. Since that moment appears to be around the corner there is not that much incentive to try to change everything. Many individuals have gotten linux apps working in crostini by adding more recent repos and installing from there. I have not seen anyone trying that with sofastatistics, though.

I have never made an appimage, but from what I have read it is the links to python that may give most problems.

In most cases I have seen recommendations that the owner/maintainer of the source-code should be responsible for the appimage, but for sofastats it may be attainablle to deviate from that and only focus on using the binaries and add the required dependencies to the appimage. That is the way the libreoffice appimage is basically constructed too. https://github.com/antoniofaccioli/libreoffice-appimage
For sofastats it could be better to use the binaries from the *.tar download than the *.deb file.

The RADME txt file from the tar file spells out which packages/libraries are needed. The advice in step 4  " Step 4 - adding any required packages you forgot according to the messages SOFA Statistics provides ;-)"
cannot be followed though. Since the *.deb install and the INSTALL.sh will fail it is not possible to try to start sofastats from the command-line, read the error-messages, and add packages/libraries of the correct versions until it works.

If the dependencies are: "python3 (>= 3.6), python3-wxgtk4.0 (>= 4.0), python3-wxgtk-webview4.0 (>=4.0), libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-0v5 (>=3.0), python3-numpy (>= 1:1.13.1), python3-pymysql (>= 0.7), python3-psycopg2 (>= 2.7.4), python3-matplotlib (>= 2.1.1), python3-xdg (>= 0.25), wkhtmltopdf (>= 0.12.4), ghostscript (>= 9), python3-pypdf2 (>= 1.26), imagemagick (>= 8.6.9), python3-openpyxl (>=2.4.9), python3-lxml (>=4.2.1)"

The appimage should be a folder with the sofastats binaries from the deb or tar, and then added the packages/libraries mentioned above, to ensure they are all from the correct version.

Dutchman

Apr 17, 2020, 10:14:43 AM4/17/20
to sofastatistics
I recently upgraded my chromeOS including upgrading linux (Beta)  to debian 10.
I installed pspp, r&rstudio. All went fine.
Today I tried installinsofastats-1.5.3-1_all.deb  and it installed without errors. On my frst start a window popped up about the locale en_gb not being avaailable, but aside from that it appears to run fine.

This opens possibillites for using R and Sofastats on the same data.

I am happy I waited and did not start to create an appimage.

It works on my Acer R11 Chromebook, but also on my Cloudready laptop.

Thanks Grant.