#508 - Homely News

Jayenkai

Mar 18, 2021, 7:50:10 AM3/18/21
to Socoder Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weekly Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Homely News
#508 - Thursday 18th March, 2021

[subscribe]

Every Thursday, Studying Parsing

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Print
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hello World

Doesn't feel like a whole week's gone past, but it's already time to compile another pile of waffle that barely anyone reads.
To be fair, most of this week's newsletter was written on a Wednesday afternoon.  I turned the telly on to split my day in the usual way, with an episode of Tipping Point, forgetting that the blooming' horse racing has screwed up ITV's regular scheduled programming.
As a result, I had roughly half an hour to spare, and figured I could waffle reasonably well in that time.

Meanwhile, again due to the horses, The Chase has fallen back on old repeats instead of the newer episodes.
They're really obviously repeats, and are drastically different given the newer episode's Covid-Based chasm, and the almost imperceptible perspex screen between each of the players.

Every day this week on Twitter, I've posted a silly tweet mocking the apparent ignorance of Covid rules, and every day without fail, someone's had a go at me for being so stupid for not realising it's a repeat.

LOL!!

I think I'll probably have to double down for Double Points Friday.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Down to Zero
"Zero Bugs Remain!" claims Rychan, as he manages to whittle away the last of the bugs in his Flap Happy NES game.
Playtesting and stress testing is to be done, but it sounds as though the game might actually be done!
\o/yeay\o/

; Adding a Brain
Finally content with his NES game being done, Rychan turns his attention to a physical hardware problem.
He wants to know the best method, and technology, to add a brain of sorts into a mannequin.
Little single-board devices are all well and good, until you need to cram them into a small functional package.
What are some good methods?  And what's the best modern device?
..Everyone's waiting for Spinal's response!

; SVG for C
ProHiScore asks if anyone's used PlutoSVG for C.
As with all things C, there are hundreds of other options to choose from, but all have pros and cons, especially when dealing with the myriad of different targets.
What are your thoughts on a C renderer?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoLong
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

An alarmingly tragic week for celebrity deaths, this week.

; RIP : Murray Walker
Best known for commentating during the F1.

; RIP : Marvin Hagler
Best known for punching people, and getting punched back.

; RIP : Gordon Hall
Best known for making video games.

; RIP : Yaphet Kotto
Best known for making James Bond's day a bit less cheery.

; RIP : Cliff Simon
Best known for making O'Neill's life hell.

; RIP : Sabine Schmitz
Best known for driving quite fast.

Does anyone have Gamepass?
What are your thoughts on this new collection of games?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoMuchMore
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Language R Us
Afr0 wants to know why English is such a freakin' mess.  From curious misspellings to entire grammar quirks.  What on earth happened?!

; Squeeeee!
Zzoom resurrects an old thread about Steve's squeaky box.
Has Steve done anything more with his experiment, in the 9 months since he first posted it?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
KiloTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Over we go..