#554 - Danger News

Jayenkai

Feb 10, 2022, 7:28:21 AM2/10/22
to Socoder Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weekly Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Danger News
#554 - Thursday 10th February, 2022

[subscribe]
        http://groups.google.com/group/socoder-newsletter

Every Thursday, Ripping cardboard

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Print
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hello World

Work has begun on the transformation of Jay's Bedroom.
Dust from a giant stack of boxes in the corner, dating back at least a decade.  Piles of cardboard thrown out.  Old crappy board games you've never played sent off to the local charity shop.
And, oh, the number of GBA game boxes.
... Where the hell did all my GBA carts go!?
Probably the same place as all my PS1 games.  Lent to friends and family, and never seen again.

At least people aren't clambering to pinch my digital purchases, nowadays.
That'll show them.
HA!

Meanwhile, all those Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii/U, Xbox, 360, PS3, PS4 console boxes..
Why do I keep the boxes?
So many boxes..

Well, at least the recycling bin is happy.

        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8606

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Emergency What Have You Done?
The forum's been kinda quiet, this week.  Though there's been a lot of TV based threads, there's been a distinct lack of other kinds of content from folk.
An emergency thread was posted to find out what everyone's up to?
Let us know if you have anything interesting going on in your life.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8605

; Painting
Jay made a fun little painting thing, this week.
Taking the Platdude Pixelart and converting it to a daily Paint-By-Numbers was an idea from Michael Fernie, and it has indeed ended up quite nicely.
I'm now wondering what else I could make with this recent engine.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82462

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCreative
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Auto-Waffle
ProHiScore gives us a link to an AI Text generator, capable of writing a vaguely suitable paragraph of text, from just a couple of vague clues.
It works reasonably well, and though it's obviously never going to write anything amazing, it might help pad out a blog or two.
One of the paragraphs of text in this newsletter has been written using the tool.   See if you can guess which one it is.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8609

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoRetro
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; MIDI CPC
A Midi card for your Amstrad, so it can happily sing choons with a higher quality than the old Yamaha AY chip can handle.
        https://www.amstrad-noob.com/2022/02/05/first-looks-at-the-ultimate-cpc-midi-sound-midi-interface-card/

; CRL
They used to be, but whatever happened to the British software house of the eighties?.. Specifically, their house.
        https://whereweretheynow.blogspot.com/2022/02/crl.html

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoSiteNews
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Syntax Bombed
I do hope that Qube is ok.  With his recent IRL issues, coupled with a slight onslaught of depressing/frustrating topics on the site, he's having to deal with grumpy forum members who don't like it when the moderator tries to make their forum a little less like a dreary bucket of depression.
I certainly have been down that path, and the backlash makes it all the worse to cope with.
Sending Qube happy thoughts and well-wishes.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8608

; Fantasy Consoles Discord
ProHiScore has rebuilt a new Discord server to replace a lost Discord server.
Some kind of analogy would be that it would be like getting one of those Raffle Barrels, filling it with folded papers with random messages on it, tumbling the barrel for 3 weeks to mix everything up and make sure it's completely impossible to find the thing you want, and then throwing out the entire barrel and getting a new one that doesn't have any paper in it, yet.
\o/yeay\o/ New Barrel!
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8607

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoTinyCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 1 Dim ob(50,4);
 2 Border 30,30,80;SetHandlerFont 14
 3 GameHandler("Mini Muncher")
.StartGame ;x=320;y=240;a=0;b=0;p=5;
 5 h=0;d=-1;t=60*10;For m=0 to 50
 6 n=Rnd(360);ds=Rnd(256)+400;
 7 ob(m,1)=320+Sin(n)*ds;e=n+Rnd(-30,30)
 8 ob(m,2)=240-Cos(n)*ds;e=e+180;
 9 s=Rnd(1,4);ob(m,3)=Sin(e)*s
10 ob(m,4)=-Cos(e)*s;Next;Return
.Ingame CLS:ResetDraw:SetFontSize 32
12 a=a*0.92+GamePad(1)-GamePad(3)
13 b=b*0.92+GamePad(2)-GamePad(0)
14 x=Limit(x+a,0,640):y=Limit(y+b,0,480)
15 SetRot Mills()*0.8;Text x,y,"O",1
16 For m=0 to 50;ob(m,2)=ob(m,2)+ob(m,4)
17 ob(m,1)=ob(m,1)+ob(m,3)
18 w=ob(m,1);v=ob(m,2);Text w,v,"@",1
19 if Pyth(w-x,v-y)<32;ob(m,1)=-100
20 PlaySFX("Beeper_Fruit_Extra")
21 ob(m,3)=-1;Score=Score+25;Endif;Next
22 SetRot 0;s=Floor(t/60);if s<0;s=0;
23 EndGame;Endif;Text 520,16,s,1;if s<p
24 PlaySFX("Beep_1");p=s;endif;
25 TextScore 320,16,1;t=t-1;Return

        https://GotoJSE.com/t2rfV4sS.BAS

If you'd like to write your own 40x25 mini game, check out the Box-Coding thread.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8555

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoFreezing
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Snoooooow!! !
Rockford was cold, and January was barely here. The snow was coming down in great big flakes, and the wind was howling. It was a typical February day.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8600

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
KiloTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Kitty Catch
        https://youtu.be/FTIM-797FJw

; Scammed
Linus has an unpleasant experience.
        https://youtu.be/UrRnqD0wOmg

; Whose Pogo is it, Anyway?
        https://youtu.be/i1uz_gj-6fE

; Bang Bang
Dan Bull, SuperSpy
        https://youtu.be/hwi1XyJWxeM

; BelAir
Five minutes from the reimagining of Fresh Prince
        https://youtu.be/WkLr-nIPXlA

; Thrifting for Sounds
What happens if you buy random records at a second hand shop, then sample them and make a remix..?
        https://youtu.be/mE9EB-Dta8Q

; After the Pandemic
Aaaah, freedom!
        https://youtu.be/6q9zkMWSBtE