#557 - Hit Me Baby, with News

Jayenkai

Mar 3, 2022, 7:22:52 AM3/3/22
to Socoder Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weekly Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hit Me Baby, with News
#557 - Thursday 03rd March, 2022

[subscribe]
        http://groups.google.com/group/socoder-newsletter

Every Thursday, Waiting for Amiga Stuff

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Print
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hello World
Been playing with the Amiga, this week.
With the end of the bedroom re-arrangement stuff nearing, it's getting to the point where I have to hook up all my tech.
Good grief, there's a lot of it.

The Amiga's certainly not had a good time during the switch-around, though.  The old mouse died, and I ended up having to buy a whole bunch of new bits and pieces to get it updated to semi-modern standards.
I'm now wondering if I should keep going, and buy a Ram expansion.  It IS still a bog-standard unexpanded A600, after all.  Might be nice to get a little more of an oomph out of it.
*shrugs*

Still a few boxes to unpack and the hoard of Game&TV-related teddy bears that have to go somewhere.  But it's getting there.

..but where the heck is the Amstrad CPC going to go?

        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82854

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Bee Happy
Rychan heads back to NES development, and plays a bit more with his Bee game.
        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82785

; Toggle 1-2-3
A rather basic platformer, but still infinitely more fun than Switch 1-2
        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82802

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoStayIndoors
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; World War Three
Russia's invaded the Ukraine, and all hell's broke loose.
Well, isn't that just peachy.
Anonymous are hacking Russian websites.
Banks are locking down on transactions.
Apple and Google are blocking certain Mobile features.
Even EA's joining in.
The modern battleground!
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8624

; Discussion about Discussion
The war topic is incredibly important, but it's also incredibly off-topic, so much it could be considered a very "not suitable for a programming forum" topic.
After a few hours of being removed, the topic was then reinstated.
But should it have been?
Is it OK to have that thread on the forum?
What are your thoughts on the topic of this topic?
Let us know in this thread, with the topic of the thread about that topic.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8629

What happened next was all kinds of scary.  Out of the top 10 threads on the sidebar, as I was writing this week's newsletter, 4 of them were about the war.
Like I say, I know it's an important thing, but ..  we're not supposed to be that.
Much like the periods of having a thousand RIP threads, it just isn't necessary.
I've since opted to merge all the threads into one.
I think people might be pissed off at me for that.
"Free speech" and "our forum" and all that.
At the end of the day, and I guess this goes back to the original email I got, the forum IS supposed to be about coding, and creativity.

Don't make me add PowerBars back, to measure how on-topic your posts are!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoRetro
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; The Machinations
A C64 Puzzle game which looks like exactly the sort of game I'd be playing a ton of!
A sort of cross between Sokoban and Deflektor.
        https://h4plo.itch.io/the-machinations

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoHandywork
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; DIY
Rychan sews some curtains and heads to the Gym, while Dabz finished off his Fireplace.
..  Sounds like the plot of an old BBC Sitcom!
        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82774

Dabz finishes off the fireplace, and relaxes back into his cumfy chair to admire the view.
*boiiink*
He shoots up, with a sewing needle lodged firmly in his butt.
Dabz *shaking his fist* : Rychaaaan!!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoTinyCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 1 w=800;h=600;Graphics w,h,1;Dim v(9)
 2 gh=h/6;Symbol 0,"0__0_0_0_;";
 3 GameHandler("Mini Blastoid")
.StartGame ;For m=0 to 9;v(m)=Rand(1,5)
 5 Next;py=3;scrx=w*2;spd=0;sm=8;Return
.InGame        ;CLS;ResetDraw;scrx=scrx-spd
 7 for y=0 to h step 8
 8 InkRot 220,1,y/h;Rect 0,y,800,9;Next
 9 Starfield 0-((spd*0.75)+0.25),0;
10 ResetDraw;If GamePadHit(1) and c==0
11 If GamePad(0) and py>1 then py=py-1
12 If GamePad(2) and py<5 then py=py+1
13 EndIf;if spd<sm then spd=spd+0.1
14 SetSize 2;Ink 22;Text 32,py*gh,">>",1
15 sm=sm+0.01;c=0;for m=0 to 9;y=v(m)*gh
16 x=m*400+scrx;Text x,y,">X<",1
17 if py==v(m) and Abs(x-32)<32 then c=1
18 next;if sm>20 then sm=20
19 if scrx<0;for m=0 to 8;v(m)=v(m+1)
20 next;v(9)=Rand(1,5);scrx=scrx+400
21 score=score+10;endif
22 SetParticleSize 32;if c==1
23 ThrowParticle 32,py*gh,1,Rnd(360)
24 spd=0;sm=0:EndGame;endif
25 TextScore w/2,32,1;Return

https://GotoJSE.com/5sfrPw29.BAS

If you'd like to submit your own 40x25 mini game, check out the Box-Coding thread.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8555

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
KiloTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Kitty Fried Cat
Only one piece in this bucket.
        https://youtu.be/bs_10vEOTf0

; Musical Interlude
Cheery!
        https://youtu.be/fWoP_NM9I1A

; Drumming
Bart smashes out an epic rhythm
        https://youtu.be/IpB80fcHxV4

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MegaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Filth
        https://youtu.be/pZIv6VVHqdU

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
GigaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hungry?
        https://youtu.be/QQ86HiLrI-4

; Windows
A Fascinating Build, and I really really like the use of the shelving units as steps.
        https://youtu.be/0Z8nfEOJS6M

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Holiday Pursuits
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hotel
Why not stay at this lovely Days Inn hotel.
        https://youtu.be/G9sI5FyfYfM

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
90s Cover Corner
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-