#551 - Teenage Newsbag

Jayenkai

Jan 20, 2022, 5:53:04 AM1/20/22
to Socoder Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weekly Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Teenage Newsbag
#551 - Thursday 20th January, 2022

[subscribe]
        http://groups.google.com/group/socoder-newsletter

Every Thursday, Starting another game.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Print
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hello World

Uhoh, haven't started a SmileBASIC game for Friday.
I did have a plan in mind.
I've been loving that daily Calendar puzzle thing, with the blocks that slot into the grid to show today's date.
Bought it from DragonFjord, and it's been keeping my puzzle mind active since September.
I thought it'd be nice to have a similar puzzle on the Switch, so have had it in mind to quickly make a similar thing, for most of the week.
About an hour ago, I started my "how to code it" thinking and ..
..  How the hell am I going to do the controls for that, given most people will be using a standard controller?
Oh, bugger..

So I guess I don't actually have a plan for this week, then, and I suppose that means I have to now scramble together something entirely different within *checks watch* oooh, about 36 hours or so.
Bugger.

Um...
*shrugs*
        https://www.dragonfjord.com/product/a-puzzle-a-day/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Realtime JavaScript Blitz-alike
Realtime pops on over to tell us about a Blitz-like command set he's making in Javascript.
Neat!
It's not interpreted like how JSE is, so it's much faster than that could ever hope to do.
If you're after a nice and easy way to wrangle the modern dev-style, then this might do the job.
Let Realtime know your thoughts, and just how much you'd love to see it expanded.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8574

; MicroStudio 3D
I'm not entirely sure when MicroStudio got a 3D upgrade, but..
MicroStudio's had a 3D upgrade, and can now do things like cars wot drive, and guns wot shoot and .. um.  whatever else it is that modern developers do with that mystical 3D technology.
        https://socoder.net/?GotoPost=82129

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoInstalled
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Virus Checker
What's the 2022 virus scanner of choice?
Are you using anything beyond Windows Defender?
What tips can you offer, on keeping your system running like a happy little lemming?
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8570

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoRetro
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Rogue64
A Roguelike for the C64, featuring all your favourite ProcGen dungeon goodies.
        http://www.indieretronews.com/2022/01/rogue64-new-c64-roguelike-from-badger.html

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoTelevised
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Quantum Leap
Is the series ACTUALLY going to come back, this time?
The Peacock says... Maybe!
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8569

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoSiteNews
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Topic of the Week
What's the most popular thread on the site, this week?
Well..
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8571

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoTinyCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 1 Mode 1; Border 30,30,80; Dim t(32)
 2 GameHandler("Mini Highrise")
.StartGame ;v=0;f=0;l=0;Gosub 24;Return
.Ingame ; CLS;ResetDraw;bx2=bx;g=0
 5 if f==0 then x=x+4
 6 if x>640 then x=0;y=y+16
 7 Text x,y,"-h",1:Text x,y-8,"-",1
 8 for n=2 to 29;h=t(n)*16;dx=n*20
 9 if t(n)>26 then t(n)=26
10 Rect dx,480-h,20,h;if h>8 then g=1
11 if Abs(bx-dx)<30 and by>480-h
12 bx2=5000;t(n)=t(n)-Rand(1,3);v=v+1
13 PlaySFX("Explode_Low_4");endif
14 if Abs(x-dx)<10 and y+6>480-h
15 if f==0 then PlaySFX("Explode_Low_5")
16 f=f+1;endif;next;bx=bx2;by=by+16;
17 if by>480 && f==0 &&(KeyHit || MDown)
18 bx=x;by=y;PlaySFX("Lazer_4");endif
19 Text bx,by,Chr$(252),1
20 if f>60 then EndGame
21 if g==0 then Gosub 23
22 Score=10*v;TextScore 320,16,1;Return
23 PlaySFX("Beeper_Powerup"):v=v+10
24 l=l+6;for n=0 to 32;t(n)=Rand(1,l)
25 next; x=0;y=16;bx=5000;by=480;Return

        https://GotoJSE.com/SS6tbHLX.BAS

If you'd like to submit a Mini-game for future newsletters, check out the Box-Coding thread, here.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8555

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
KiloTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Life
And death..
        https://youtu.be/HQTlGBOJbUM

; Cheese
And wine..
        https://youtu.be/bgq4fw6o8Gc

; Child Prodigy
This young lady has a new album out in March
        https://youtu.be/SPZiuPw-LLs

; Musical Interlude
If you're good, you might get one!
        https://youtu.be/1OG70hY4KcQ

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MegaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Billy Bashing
Take 2 designers and 2 IKEA Billy Bookcases, and what do you get?
        https://youtu.be/uJ9De7KWw4Y

; Remixing for a Fiver
Actually, well above a fiver, but some great mixes none-the-less
        https://youtu.be/LNRBhq2oV8k

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
GigaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Kitty Cats
Truths and otherwise
        https://youtu.be/ZiANwkkgkzI

; Framing Up
Adam and Kyle make a frame.
        https://youtu.be/3qOJakmE7Pk

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Outdoor Pursuits
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Part Four
        https://youtu.be/QkLDThED4T4

; Raising a Barn
The Tested.com Ghostbusters Afterlife videos are INFINITELY more entertaining to watch, and much more informative, than the extras available through iTunes.
        https://youtu.be/ZoeL2lwLpXs

; KITT'ing up
Can you turn a Tesla into KITT?
        https://youtu.be/_hWLAmMlz4U

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
In Scam We Distrust
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

        https://youtu.be/SMnRiGL6rC0

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
2000s Cover Corner
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

        https://youtu.be/Fw8ZDwdyHJQ

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
TVCover Corner
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This week, Apple Music has dragged me kicking and screaming into the world of French TV Themes.
I swear, everything has lyrics..
EVERYTHING!!!
        https://youtu.be/WUq3YPEkdz8

VGRemix Corner