#550 - Strong News

Jayenkai

Jan 13, 2022, 7:28:27 AM1/13/22
to Socoder Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Weekly Newsletter
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Strong News
#550 - Thursday 13th January, 2022

[subscribe]
        http://groups.google.com/group/socoder-newsletter

Every Thursday, battering myself over the head, trying to make sense of why I'm still doing AGameAWeek, after all these years.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Print
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Hello World

Spent some time making requesters, menus and templates for GotoJSE, this week.  Alarmingly difficult, as always, because I had to try and do it all using CSS, and my CSS skills are approximately none-existent.
Still, I somehow managed to make a vaguely half-assed couple of boxes, so I think that's .. probably.. ok.
Right?!

Hmmm..
I swear, if I had even an ounce of art/design skills.
.. At the very least, there'd be a set of default Symbols to use.

..  Awww, nuts..  Gotta do that, now, haven't I?!
RAWR!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Making Maps
Pakz has written this lovely little Map Generator to build random maps.
Hurray!
Now the questing will be endless.
        https://socoder.net/?Snippet=82074

Pakz also tried out an alternative maze making method, which makes more, what I would call, pen+paper style mazes.
        https://socoder.net/?Snippet=82103

; All in the Name
Steve finally settles on a title for his ice-sliding puzzle game, then makes a nice looking title card, and begins rejigging the rest of the UI to fit the new style.
Amazing how one little change can transform the style of a game.
        https://socoder.net/?Blogs=80580#Comment18260

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoCrafting
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Sounding Board
Ingame sound effects can come from many different places.
What's the most unique sound you've created for a game?
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8559

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoRetro
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Magazine Archive
There are now more than 30,000 of your favourite old computer magazines archived at Archive.org
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8562

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoFreeTools
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Free'ish Ableton
Jayenkai subscribed to a magazine for the first time in his life, and got a free Lite edition of Ableton for his troubles.
It's not the all-powerful music tool that he'd have liked, given it's a Lite version, but it'll at least come in handy for some things.
Hopefully.
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8561

*Jay previously didn't subscribe because either..
A : He was a child, and therefore didn't have any means to do so.
or
B : He worked in an off-license that sold magazines, so didn't need to subscribe, since he could claim issues before they even went on the shelf!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoTinyCoder
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

// 4567890123456789012345678901234567890
 1 Mode 1:sc=0:hi=ReadFile(0)
 2 px=320:py=240:w=-100:s=4:l=1
 3 CLS 120,80,40,0.2
 4 if w<-32 or w>672
 5  d=Rand(0,1):w=32:h=Rand(32,448)
 6  if d==0 then w=672:d=-1
 7 s=Limit(s+0.3,0,12):endif
 8 w=w+d*s
 9 mx=Limit(MouseX()-px,-24,24)
10 my=Limit(MouseY()-py,-24,24)
11 px=Limit(px+mx,10,630)
12 py=Limit(py+my,10,470)
13 Rect w-8,h+32,16,480
14 Rect w-8,0,16,h-32
15 Ink 3:Oval px,py,32,32,16
16 Text 17,17,sc,0:Text 625,17,hi,2
17 if Abs(w-px)<16 and Abs(h-py)>16
18 z=MouseHit():s=0:PlaySFX("Drum_Low")
19 Goto 23:endif:sc=sc+1:Ink 26
20 Text 16,16,sc,0:Text 624,16,hi,2
21 Oval px,py,32,32,16
22 Flip:Goto 3
23 Notify "Game Over",0,1:if sc>hi
24 hi=sc:WriteFile(0,hi):SaveFile:Endif
25 Repeat:Flip:Until MouseHit():Goto 1

A tiny dodge game.
        https://GotoJSE.com/JgXZcMZC.BAS

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoChallenging
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; 1Loop1Life
Over on Twitter, @Gnyonpix created a new hashtag, #1Loop1Life.
Create a single loop of music in your DAW of choice, then using only the abilities of the instrument/DAW, and the solo/mute buttons, try to get the best melodically result that you can.
        https://twitter.com/Gnyonpix/status/1480949190536888321

        https://twitter.com/hashtag/1loop1life

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SoLacking
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; No Job?
In need of a job, but can't find anything to suit?
Why not try...
        https://cbsn.ws/3FcguN0

; No Heart?
In need of a heart, but can't find a dead person to take it from?
Why not try...
        https://socoder.net/?Topic=8564

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
KiloTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; The Dalek's New Weapon
Rat-a-tat
        https://youtu.be/OB1xjb_e4Y0

; Funky
        https://youtu.be/HlYTls-UbUs

; Tweak the Volume
If it's too loud, simply turn it down.
        https://youtu.be/xQvp5HzY9xc

; Musical Interlude
Caravan Palace
        https://youtu.be/vlpLgjnRPhI

; Trailer
Fresh Prince Reboot
        https://youtu.be/rQ1uG91Bbls

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
MegaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; Back to the Future
Tom Scott looks back at a 10 year old prediction video, then makes a new prediction for 2032
        https://youtu.be/NYj3DnI81AQ

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
GigaTube
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

; A Little Bit of Toast
How EPIC can the expensive toaster be?
        https://youtu.be/Lq3iwWaoU7w

; Wind in the Willows
The first few episodes, re-edited back into a feature length version.
        https://youtu.be/YXGfCKNa_9E

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Outdoor Pursuits
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-