Awards Ceremony Info & 'runners up'

LH (Leslie Hawthorn)

Feb 12, 2008, 10:33:16 PM2/12/08
to GHOP Contest Administrative List
Hello everyone,

Titus pointed out that there is no documentation anywhere about
mentors attending the awards ceremony. So here we go:

- one mentor per organization will be flown to Google Mountain View
- expenses for this one mentor will be covered in the same fashion as
for a student grand prize winner

More details, see: http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8/rules.html
section #9:

Cheers,
LH

LH (Leslie Hawthorn)

Feb 12, 2008, 10:38:00 PM2/12/08
to GHOP Contest Administrative List
And forgot to mention that we're targeting early May for this. We
have 32 schedules to coordinate, so it's going to be fun. I'll set up
a Google Group for planning later this week. We'd like to know who'll
you'll send, but we have time to figure that out.

Cheers,
LH

Martin Aspeli

Feb 13, 2008, 3:57:19 AM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com

I vote that Matthew Wilkes, who basically did all the hard work, attends
for Plone. He's in the UK, and has expressed an interest in going, so I
hope he can make it!

Martin

Bertrand Delacretaz

Feb 13, 2008, 4:30:43 AM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 13, 2008 4:33 AM, LH (Leslie Hawthorn) <lho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...- one mentor per organization will be flown to Google Mountain View

> - expenses for this one mentor will be covered in the same fashion as

> for a student grand prize winner...

Does that mean mentors can bring someone with them expenses paid, or
is the "himself and one parent" bit meant for young students only?

-Bertrand (not joking, just wanted to clarify that ;-)

Bertrand Delacretaz

Feb 13, 2008, 4:33:09 AM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 13, 2008 4:38 AM, LH (Leslie Hawthorn) <lho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...forgot to mention that we're targeting early May for this. We

> have 32 schedules to coordinate, so it's going to be fun. I'll set up

> a Google Group for planning later this week....

Note that May 1st is a holiday in many European countries AFAIK, so
very early May might make it easier for people to attend.

-Bertrand

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 13, 2008, 11:25:57 AM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com

I'm sorry Bertrand, as much as we appreciate all your efforts we can't
pay for you or anyone from the ASF to bring along a parent or
guardian. :)

Seriously, though - look at the expenses covered for one student and
figure we'll cover the same expenses for one mentor.

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Program Manager - Open Source

http://code.google.com/opensource/

I blog here:

http://googlesummerofcode.blogspot.com -
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com -
http://www.hawthornlandings.org

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 13, 2008, 11:26:19 AM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com

Good to know - thanks!

Angela Byron

Feb 13, 2008, 12:12:30 PM2/13/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com

As much as I'd love to party with all the GHOP folks in Moutainview, for Drupal, I want to send Adam Light instead. He stepped up very early on to help with GHOP and has been a powerhouse throughout, mentoring tasks and students, helping keep the back-end administrative bits organized, hounding others for task ideas and helping to refine them, and so on. He covered me over my busy travel schedule at first, and later came to really "own" the contest and be the main person keeping track of everything. I think he of all of our various GHOP helpers really deserves the grand prize. :)

-Angie

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 15, 2008, 7:13:19 PM2/15/08
to sockh...@googlegroups.com
Alrightey, so far I've got:

Matthew Wilkes - Plone
Adam Light - Drupal

Any other nominees?  I'll be creating the new mailing list tonight.

Cheers,
LH