SocketStream is looking for a new sponsor

Paul Jensen

Jul 30, 2015, 3:00:59 PM7/30/15
to SocketStream
Hi everyone,

This month I spoke about SocketStream at the NYC Camp at the UN in New York. It was a good event and a great chance to chat shop with fellow members of the realtime space.

As mentioned at the talk and discussed with the core team a while back, SocketStream is looking for a new sponsor.

In the early days of the project, AOL allowed Owen (the creator of SocketStream) to work full time on SocketStream, and that went some way towards sustaining the project. When Owen left AOL, the sponsorship ended.

When I took over lead developer role of the project in August 2013, I worked towards stabilising the project and plugging some of the gaps it had. Some progress has been made, but like Owen I've discovered that it has been a real challenge to work on a web framework in your spare time, especially if there are lots of other things going on in your life (like writing a book for Manning, as I'm currently doing).

At the moment, SocketStream is sponsored by my 1-man consultancy, Anephenix. The costs of looking after hosting and other items is small, and that is fine, but that is not why we're looking for sponsorship. What we're looking for is for a place that has an interest in realtime web apps and Node.js to consider becoming a home for the project. A place where developers could put SocketStream to good use, whether it is for developing realtime financial platforms, dashboards, advertising tools, and other applications.

I will continue to support SocketStream where I can, but I think now is the time to find the project a good home.

Regards,

Paul Jensen