Disconnected users on chat example

Fabio Leal

Jul 10, 2012, 7:04:19 PM7/10/12
to socketio-netty
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the awesome project. :)

One thing that I've noticed while trying the chat example on my
machine was that the users are not being disconnected when closing
their tabs... Is there any way to know when a user has been
disconnected?

One more thing: Is it possible for a client to connect to the server
without using Flash? I'm building a web application that is supposed
to be running on iPads and iPhones...

Cheers

yongboy

Jul 10, 2012, 10:50:36 PM7/10/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
I am using the winpc. I don't know some case in machine.
When people closing the tab in safari, the server will not receive the client's ping data afater 3-4 minutes by default,  maybe it is a hidden bug :))

In some browsers , such as firefox, safari, chrome, the socket.io client will be choose the websocket to connect the server instead of flash.
With some test case, the pc safari 、ipod touch safari use the websocket at first.

Fabio Leal

Jul 11, 2012, 7:27:13 PM7/11/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
Hi yongboy,

I noticed that the html clients were being suddenly "disconnected" after a few minutes of inactivity. The screen becames white and the user must login with another nickname to send messages. I've solved this problem by sending a ping to the server every 30 seconds. If you want I can commit it to the repository later...

But my problem was not directly related to that... What I want to do is to know when a user has been disconnected (closed browser tab, for example)... Is it possible with the current code? I want to notify the other clients when one client is disconnected...
--
Fábio Leal

yongboy

Jul 11, 2012, 11:00:29 PM7/11/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
Please wait, I am fixing the close timeout bug now.
And, if you intesting the project, I can put you into the project members.

yongboy

Jul 12, 2012, 12:33:36 AM7/12/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
Hi :
     I have fixed the bug now.
    Now, the user chose the browser tab,. the server receive it, then notice the cilent.
    Please checkout the source:
  https://socketio-netty.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Fabio Leal

Jul 12, 2012, 5:13:23 PM7/12/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
Hi yongboy,

thanks for fixing this bug...
Is there any other known bug in the demo or in the project? And, sure... I can help you with the development. :)
Are you in any IRC network? Feel free to add me in GTalk.

Regards

yongboy

Jul 12, 2012, 11:32:22 PM7/12/12
to socketi...@googlegroups.com
I have put you into the project's member as one committer  now.
I have no free time to maintain the project at the moment,and I am working time maybe you in sleeping now.