Re: Digest for socket_io@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic

Mike McNeil

Oct 11, 2013, 5:58:23 PM10/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Sails apps come with redis store integration for socket.io commented out by default, checkout https://github.com/balderdashy/sails/blob/master/bin/boilerplates/config/sockets.js
In core (or config/sockets.js in a new app) for an example--- it's just passing the socket store config straight thru to socket io

-
Mike's phone

On Oct 11, 2013, at 14:21, sock...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/socket_io/topics

    Filipe <fil...@gmail.com> Oct 10 04:24PM -0700

    Today we finished implementing Socket.io + Redis + Node Clusters +
    Authentication (share express session). Everything went fine.

    Now we will implement load balancer with stick sessions.

    On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:01:13 PM UTC-3, cendrizzi wrote:

    Duncan Wilkie <duncan...@hotmail.com> Oct 11 08:22AM +0100

    Hey,

    Are you going to write a blog post about your setup and experiences? I'd be interested in reading it, I'm in the process of setting up a fairly small scale - internal only websocket "real-time" web application - and I'm interested in other peoples setup, though I'm going for Sockjs rather than socket.io

    - mrdnk

    "DAVIES, Huw 4" <Huw.D...@admiralgroup.co.uk> Oct 11 08:58AM +0100

    +1 for a blog post on your experiences and how you did it.

    On 11 Oct 2013, at 00:24, "Filipe" <fil...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Today we finished implementing Socket.io + Redis + Node Clusters
    + Authentication (share express session). Everything went fine.

    Now we will implement load balancer with stick sessions.

    On Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:01:13 PM UTC-3, cendrizzi wrote:

    No one can chime in on this? I hear all these bad stories but
    yet never hear anything on what to do about it.

    On Saturday, October 5, 2013 2:43:05 PM UTC-6, cendrizzi wrote:

    Just listened to the nodeup podcast on websocket scaling (nice
    work for those of you producing that, some of which I've seen on this
    group).

    Anyway the redis store is the supported way to scale socket.io
    across processes, however, I keep hearing a lot of real world cautionary
    tales that stem from it. Basically many people saying it simple has not
    worked for them when it comes to scaling.

    I'm in startup mode right now and have socket.io working very
    well (using SSL) in terms of code stability. However, I am just starting
    to look more closely at scaling the infrastructure further. I need to
    support at least ten thousand concurrent connections initially, using a
    lot of rooms, however it can be anticipated that there will fairly light
    talk going over the wire most of the time (this is not a chat app that
    could literally see tons of chatter across the wire). Obviously the
    better things go the more concurrent connections will exist in the
    future. My main interest in websockets has always been the light
    overhead and most importantly the very quick, real time updates.

    Anyway, is the redis store even usable in it's current form for
    scaling really big? At present I'm using redis.io so hopefully they can
    scale to meet my redis store demands but I'm pretty concerned when it
    seems like so many have to fork their own socket.io implementation just
    to scale it property.

    Any help/advise/code etc to help would be really, really nice. I
    would also love to really understand why the redis backend has been
    problematic for others. I would switch to engine.io if I didn't want the
    reconnection and room support (while I don't have rooms in the real
    sense I do need to partition the communication which rooms provide).

    I would REALLY appreciate any help from any of you who have
    already been down this path (and might even be interested in some
    consultation work if interested).

    Lastly, I should mention that I've been playing with nodejitsu
    and modulus as my hosting service. At this juncture I have no interest
    in setting up my own infrastructure as I would rather rely on others
    expertise.

    ****** This email is sent for and on behalf of Admiral Group plc ******

    Admiral Group plc is registered in England and Wales at Capital Tower, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff CF10 3AZ (Reg. No. 03849958). EUI Limited (Reg No: 02686904) is a subsidiary of Admiral Group plc and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (Firm reference number: 309378). These details can be confirmed by visiting the Financial Services Authority's Register, www.fsa.gov.uk/register/. EUI Limited acts for, and on behalf of, other regulated insurance companies. Further details may be provided on request.

    Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily the company. This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from the Company, are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. It may contain material protected by attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use is strictly prohibited.

    If you have received this email in error please notify our customer services department by telephone on +44 (0)871 882 0000. Please then delete this email and any copies of it.
    Security Warning: Please note that this email has been created in the knowledge that Internet email is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and accept this lack of security when emailing us.
    Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
    We may monitor the content of emails sent and received via our network for viruses or unauthorised use and for other lawful business purposes.