Engine.io

utan

Jul 10, 2013, 11:01:11 PM7/10/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys and gals,

I am coding or refactoring my application with engine.io but I am lost , documentation seems very little when it comes at what can you do with engine.io..

How would you authenticate domain connecting in socket.io you have server.set('authorization', function () {}); can't find anything in engine.io..

Also where is broadcast.in and the similar methods in socket.io, they come handy, I can't even find the ip of the socket connecting in engine.io ...

If someone can help me find documentations please post it..

 Appreciate UTAN

mgutz

Jul 11, 2013, 1:49:58 AM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Two diffrent libraries. Think of engine.io as websocket transport with fallbacks. All it is concerned about is the connection between the client and server. Socket.io does all that PLUS authorize handshake, rooms, etc.

Your options:

1) Build that functionality yourself
2) Use something like zendesk/radar (built on engine.io)
3) Or, use socket.io 0.9 and hope socket.io 1.0 doesn't change API too much

utan

Jul 11, 2013, 12:37:55 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I understand is a different library but why would you need it if you need to create functions that socket.io has available.. I thought engine.io inherited methods from socket.io since is on top of socket.io ..

Or is because engine,io isnt completed yet, as it is right is raw and the only advantages is better connectivity than socket.io itself..
I have my app written with vanilla socket.io so this has stopped me now from upgrading.. and when socket.io v1 it will use engine.io by default.

let me know if I understood all this.. regards

Elvio Rogelio Toccalino

Jul 11, 2013, 1:01:13 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Not quite. Engine.io is offers functionality which was factored out of socket.io. Socket.io v1 uses use engine.io to handle transport choice, connection quality, reconnection, etc.
Your app uses socket.io v0.9. If you ever upgrade it will continue to use socket.io (engine.io will be dependency which will be npm-install'ed).

cayasso

Jul 11, 2013, 3:34:40 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com

Not so related but consider Primus, also I just started Primus.IO both doesn't support authorization as yet, but are interesting projects.

utan

Jul 11, 2013, 5:26:12 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
So if I understand you, when socket.io v1 comes out will have engine.io which will do the connectivity and all stuff you talked about..

So when I upgrade my app then it will use engine.io because engine.io is a requirement as you stated for socket.io .. So engine.io will take over I just need to update my app code  if the api changes in socket.io v1?

hope I got it this time... if know you are welcome to correct me.

Elvio Rogelio Toccalino

Jul 11, 2013, 5:28:47 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com

That's how I see it. Use socket.io v0.9 for now. You should never have top deal with engine.io directly (not now, nor in the future).

utan

Jul 11, 2013, 6:38:52 PM7/11/13
to sock...@googlegroups.com
Oh great, Thanks for your help appreciate a lot.