Re: ITT: Ships you ship

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:14:43 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: ITT: Ships you ship
My first OTP that changed my world was Merlin/Arthur. Merlin was also the show that made me want to become involved in fandom. I'm very glad I never saw the ugly sides of this fandom. Merlin is my baby and I love it.

Kirk/Spock is perhaps The OTP. Other ships may come and go, but Kirk/Spock will be my ship forever. There is something about them that is timeless. Also, I love the fandom. I'm college-aged, yet can squee with people older than my parents about Kirk/Spock, and these fans usually bring a depth to their analysis and love for K/S that I don't get as often from other ship fans, probably because they have shipped K/S for so long.

Currently, I am getting into Steve/Tony, and have a feeling they might become like Kirk/Spock to me. I love both characters to bits and pieces -- they are my two favorite Avengers, with a bias toward Cap -- and I really enjoy how their personalities combat with each other. I'm sure once I get further into 616 I will be able to write better meta about how hard I ship them, but right now they have some sort of spark that enthralls me.

Other ships I have shipped: Robin/Starfire, Mark/Eduardo, Kyo/Tohru, Haruhi/Tamaki, Orihime/Ulquiorra, Rory/Logan, Dean/Castiel, George/Luna, Hermione/Ron, Oliver/Percy, Hermione/Fred, Harry/Draco, James/Lily, Remus/Tonks, Remus/Sirius, Holmes/Watson, Arya/Gendry, Jaime/Brienne, Sansa/Tyrion (I hear this becomes canon in the books (?????), but as this is GOT and bad things happen to characters we love, not sure if want)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

Read the latest LiveJournal news at http://news.livejournal.com/

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:17:54 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm from a European country.

"Does your country have any entertainment media about indigenous peoples of North America -- movies, books, comics, etc.?"

Yep. They're not a massive thing, but they're a thing, the way media set in Polynesia isn't.

"Are they local productions or imports from other countries?"

Both, local productions and imports from North America and other European countries.

"Are they popular enough to have fandoms? If these stories aren't really fashionable right now, were they ever more popular at some point in the past?"

Sorry, I have no connection to fandom in my own country so I don't know.

"Do they focus on a particular region or era, like 19th century cowboys-and-Indians Western frontier stuff, or 18th-century "Easterns" like The Last of the Mohicans?"

Too advanced a question for me. I don't consume a whole lot of the media about native North Americans.

"Are the stories ever set in Canada, or is it mostly stuff focused on the United States?"

I can't think of a Canada-set story off-hand.

"Are the Native characters ever in the main protagonist role, or are they usually supporting/sidekick/background characters or antagonists? Do you think the usual portrayals are meant to be viewed as sympathetic and positive, or not?"

I can definitely think of at least two comic books by an artist from my country that had a Native American hero, and he was portrayed very positively but IIRC in a somewhat romanticized fashion. I believe the positive/romantic image is the most common one. I also believe my culture is pretty big on rooting for the underdog, so naturally, the heroic Native Americans against the evil whites narrative appeals to the audience here.

We too played "indians" as children. No one ever even suggested playing "cowboys and indians". For one thing, a kid can't make a functioning revolver while only having access to a knife, some branches and a piece of string.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Memers, tell me about your country's media portrayals of Native people of North America?
For one thing, a kid can't make a functioning revolver while only having access to a knife, some branches and a piece of string.

You point your index finger, cock your thumb and go 'ka-chow!'

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:18:34 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm in the UK, and it's popular for people to say "it's like 1984!" whenever there's the latest story about councils spying on people and CCTV cameras that "talk" at you...but I can't decide if there's only a bit of truth to the believe that we're very slowly morphing into an Orwellian society or if people are intensely paranoid and over reacting. I have a tendency to be paranoid and I do get VERY angsty about the idea of things like cameras in wheelie bins and internet monitoring, but I also don't think we're as close to an Orwellian society as some do when it comes to right-wingers tendencies to scream that we are when, say, someone goes on trial for possible racism (the recent John Terry case).

This comment is jumbled, but I'd be interested to know what you guys all think and what Americans and nonnies from other countries feel it's like in your culture. I wonder if it's a UK thing for people to do the "it's like 1984!" routine.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: George Orwell's 1984 - Do you think it's kind of becoming reality?
As an American I submit that our government is nowhere near competent enough to orchestrate the kind of control-based society that 1984 has. Actually corporations and the very, very rich control everything by virtue of being able to throw money at policymakers, but that's a very decentralized and messy sort of control.

Of course to say that 1984 is about a surveillance society is not quite right. It's a simplification. I wish people would say 'panopticon' instead of '1984' when they're talking about surveillance society, because that's the correct term. Surveillance is one aspect, but 1984 is really about control of information. See: N. Korea.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:20:33 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
My cats keep peeing in places other than their litter box.
I don't know how to stop them.
Any advice?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: cats
Also suggesting the vet.

But also -- perhaps you do not clean the litter box as often as the cats would like? Finicky cats will often go outside of the box if the box is not cleaned to their standards.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:21:21 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I know, old meme, but I'd never actually sat down and read this before, and...it really is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read. I can't tell--is this meant to be satire? Dark Knight Strikes Again is pretty satirical, but this...
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: All-Star Batman and Robin
I don't know, I kind of think fanboys and Miller would have been all over the place with "but it's satire!!!!" when it bombed if it were intentionally like that.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:22:04 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
Trek TOS McCoy/Spock, probably baby's first OTP.

Epic friendship where I can see the slashy subtext but can't ever go there myself: Holmes/Watson, ACD flavor. Probably 2nd lifetime OTP, friendship flavor.

A brief sideline in Snape/Hermione through the books 3 & 4 period.

Giles/Buffy from season 1 episode 1 right on through. I can cheerfully ship Giles/Ethan at the same time.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:22:45 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: SJ creeps me out.
http://godheadcomplex.tumblr.com/post/22024125119

Not in 2052 heteronormativity will be erased, not that in that year we complete equal rights, in that year we will apparently be taken over by a dystopia of radfems who kill all white cis dudes.

(Because radfems have such good track records with trans* issues!)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:24:20 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For me, it would be Madonna's "Confessions" Tour...though to be fair I don't go to many concerts, so I don't have many experiences to compare.

What is the best concert you've experienced so far in your life?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Best concerts you've ever been to?
Biffy Clyro at the Barrowlands. I suspect that it was a home crowd thing. Also, a I was standing at the back so none of the beer that was throne was liable to land on me thing. But, awesome gig.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:25:05 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For one thing, a kid can't make a functioning revolver while only having access to a knife, some branches and a piece of string.

You point your index finger, cock your thumb and go 'ka-chow!'

Their reply was:
Give kid!me a knife, branches, and some string, and I would make any number of pretend weapons from bows to swords to regular guns to laser pistols. Not that it was necessary, as you say! Pretending didn't require props most of the time.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:25:05 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I know, old meme, but I'd never actually sat down and read this before, and...it really is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read. I can't tell--is this meant to be satire? Dark Knight Strikes Again is pretty satirical, but this...
Their reply was:
I think at first it wasn't. Frank is really just crazy (see Holy Terror). However after all the reviews came in they decided to go "yeah it's totally a parody guys, really!"

Speaking of, holey moley Holy Terror is bad.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:26:17 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:

Not in 2052 heteronormativity will be erased, not that in that year we complete equal rights, in that year we will apparently be taken over by a dystopia of radfems who kill all white cis dudes.

(Because radfems have such good track records with trans* issues!)
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: SJ creeps me out.
There's no way this isn't a joke at the expense of SJ culture. It sounds to me like they're criticizing SJs for supposedly doing exactly what you think this person wants to do.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:26:42 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:

Not in 2052 heteronormativity will be erased, not that in that year we complete equal rights, in that year we will apparently be taken over by a dystopia of radfems who kill all white cis dudes.

(Because radfems have such good track records with trans* issues!)
Their reply was:
How to solve oppression: just have everyone hate a different group!

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:28:45 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:

Not in 2052 heteronormativity will be erased, not that in that year we complete equal rights, in that year we will apparently be taken over by a dystopia of radfems who kill all white cis dudes.

(Because radfems have such good track records with trans* issues!)
Their reply was:
My second thought was that it's always depressing how many likes posts like this get. I saw one recently that was a cap of an anon ask saying "I wait until SJ people call someone out and then I make death threats to them so that everyone will pick on the SJers", with a caption saying that it was everyone else's fault for assuming anons who claim to be SJers are and you horrible people who blame the SJers for anon nastiness are all assholes. There were over 1000 notes.

My first thought was that somebody misses MySpace.

Captcha: riding outscum, yes, that's apropros.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:31:24 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
Haplo/Alfred, because every interaction they ever had fills me with so much joy. It figures that my OTP would be in a small, barely active fandom. *cries bitter tears.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:33:36 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Just looked up the Final Fantasy 7 house. Why? Why must these people exist?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: WHY did I google it?
If you really want to stir the wank, nonny,ask about them on fandom_lounge over on Journalfen. Ecchanizor or puipui will be there frothing that it's JUST NOT TRUE BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE!

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:35:26 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
If you really want to stir the wank, nonny,ask about them on fandom_lounge over on Journalfen. Ecchanizor or puipui will be there frothing that it's JUST NOT TRUE BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE!
Their reply was:
That reminds me of something:

fucking puipui

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:37:15 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I am still eagerly waiting for that perfect Arthur/Cobb fic. There have been some great ones, and for being so overshadowed by the monolith that was A/E I am satisfied with what fandom has provided, but there's this small voice in my head that tells me that that fic is out there, just waiting for me to find it, and for that reason I'll read every A/C that comes across my notice.
Their reply was:
An interesting nonny wonders if you could expound about and link to what you think have been the great but not yet perfect A/C fics?

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:37:38 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Never confirmed, only in development pre-Iron Man 1 (and then rejected, boo hiss): http://www.fempop.com/2011/11/14/what-couldve-been-a-black-widow-solo-film/
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Upcoming Marvel Movies
You're thinking of the 2004 David Hayter project that was dropped. The movie currently under development is a new project and appears to be still on with Scarlett Johansson, Kevin Feige (producer on just about every Marvel flick in the last decade), and others still talking it up as of a month or two ago. Unless something changed dramatically I wouldn't count it out. :)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:38:06 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I think at first it wasn't. Frank is really just crazy (see Holy Terror). However after all the reviews came in they decided to go "yeah it's totally a parody guys, really!"

Speaking of, holey moley Holy Terror is bad.
Their reply was:
These are my thoughts, basically

(It kind of reminds me of how a lot of people think the skeevier parts of 300 are the result of a deliberately unreliable "written by the winners" narrative. Nope, Miller really does think like that.)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:39:37 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
If you really want to stir the wank, nonny,ask about them on fandom_lounge over on Journalfen. Ecchanizor or puipui will be there frothing that it's JUST NOT TRUE BECAUSE SHE KNOWS THESE PEOPLE!
Their reply was:
I think it's Ecchanizor. Because puipui really pisses me off and this would definitely be on my list of reasons why if it were her.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:41:11 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
An interesting nonny wonders if you could expound about and link to what you think have been the great but not yet perfect A/C fics?
Their reply was:
SA

Nonny would like to, uh, mention that it's meant to be interested and not interesting.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:41:58 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
What a lot of naval gazing.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:42:05 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Sometimes I truly just can't stand the Cult of Nice contingent in my fandom.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Things you wouldn't admit unanon
I don't really understand that either.

The most recent comment I made was about how I was sad some secondary character had something bad happen to him, but was otherwise complimentary. Somebody replied to that comment with a "me, too." Then they deleted that comment shortly after. (I only found out this happened at all because I automatically have LJ send me copies of commented to my comments to an alternate email.)

The only reason I can think of for doing that is because they thought it was too mean. But a comment about being sad somebody had a tragedy in the fic doesn't seem that mean. I wasn't picking over the writing or the plot or anything.

I guess I must be considered really mean in the fandom because I kept my comment up. (Explains a lot about my lack of popularity.)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:42:23 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: FSOG at ComicCon?
Why was E.L. James giving a book signing at CC? I just don't understand. FSOG is erotica, at best, and has zero supernatural/vaguely-ComicCon-relevant-content (except for it being a fictional book). I'm sure it's not the first "thing" to be featured at CC that has nothing to do with usual fare, I just found it really odd. And kind of annoying, to be honest. Like I got the impression they were basically just soaking up the Twilight fan residue from Hall H, which doesn't surprise me whatsoever, but it was honestly the one place I expected pseudo-refuge.

/rant

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:42:47 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Meme, I'd like to ask all of you for recommendations for lesbian films! Happy endings are much preferred, and any language is fine.

I've already seen Spider Lilies, Love My Life, and Aimée & Jaguar, and Yes or No and Drifting Flowers are on my to-watch list.

So meme, what lesbian films would you recommend?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Lesbian film recs?
Check out the archives of ! Lots of stuff there.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:43:56 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'll have characters use 'hysterical' if it's in dialogue and it fits them, but it still annoys me even when I'm writing it.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Fanfic things that wouldn't bother you, if only you were a reasonable person
NA

On a similar note, I had a character use the phrase "would of" in some dialogue, though I cringed while doing so. Some reviewer tried to correct me on it.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:44:22 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Anyone have a favourite McCoy/Chekov STXI fic they'd like to share?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: fic recs go here! - McCoy/Chekov
casspeach does great McCoy/Chekov, especially "Making a Living Out of Hope":

http://archiveofourown.org/users/casspeach/works?fandom_id=9630

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:45:04 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
lol! I'm now picturing Steve waking aimlessly back and forth across the wide open field that is Bryant Park, somehow unable to find his way through the tables and chairs to get out.

I read a J2 fic once in which Jared drives from L.A. to New York City to visit Jensen for the weekend. To the author's credit, I think she said that she'd looked it up and the info she'd found wrongly stated that it was a much shorter drive than it actually is, and tried to adjust the fic after someone pointed out the improbability of driving 3,000 miles each way for a weekend visit.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Worst geography fails in fic?
Hahaha, I was going to mention a J2 fic that I read that had that exact geography!fail. I wonder if it was the same one?

(The one I'm thinking of was where Jensen played the piano and was magical and I can't remember the name of it at all...)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:45:52 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Check out the archives of ! Lots of stuff there.
Their reply was:
er, that's lgbtq_recs.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:46:40 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
From old-timey fandom days, I don't think you can beat out Heath Barkley (The Big Valley), unknown bastard son of a wealthy California rancher, wanting desperately to reclaim his birthright, have a family of his own, but willing to give it all up in a heartbeat if (as in one episode) someone else claimed to be his biological father.

Then, of course, there's Johnny Gage (Emergency!), who taught me that I adore h/c before I ever knew the term or fandom existed.

Other examples for me would be Templeton "Face" Peck (The A-Team), Remington Steele, and even though he's not my favourite character, Dr. Peter Venkman (the original The Real Ghostbusters cartoon), who was always hiding his personal pain behind his generally sarcastic attitude, but there were episodes where it was allowed to peek through.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Man-pain you enjoy
Bless you for mentioning Heath. He did that shy suck-up-the-pain thing so well. The episodes where he thought his family wasn't supporting were especially heart-breaking.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:47:14 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Why was E.L. James giving a book signing at CC? I just don't understand. FSOG is erotica, at best, and has zero supernatural/vaguely-ComicCon-relevant-content (except for it being a fictional book). I'm sure it's not the first "thing" to be featured at CC that has nothing to do with usual fare, I just found it really odd. And kind of annoying, to be honest. Like I got the impression they were basically just soaking up the Twilight fan residue from Hall H, which doesn't surprise me whatsoever, but it was honestly the one place I expected pseudo-refuge.

/rant
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: FSOG at ComicCon?
Twilight fan residue probably explains it. It does seem like a weird venue for a signing for that book, though. There's no escaping it, nonnie!

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:48:30 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
What a lot of naval gazing.
Their reply was:
Aren't you a sweetheart. :)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:48:54 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I don't know, I kind of think fanboys and Miller would have been all over the place with "but it's satire!!!!" when it bombed if it were intentionally like that.
Their reply was:
I think the fanboys don't want it to be satire. (Because Batman's a big jerk egomaniac child-man, who runs around laughing in the rain with an erection from beating up thugs) but it's just a different take on say, the one he wrote where Batman was an antisocial fanatic, Superman a resigned government tool, and Robin had some really bit emotional problems. Nobody had to explain that one was a satire.

This ones got even more over the top characters, including man-hating Wonder Woman who suddenly can't keep from kissing Superman and then the earth moves. I think it's over-the-top satire in the weird noir thing he's into. Black Canary beats up a guy who looks like Ollie in one of the early issues. The pedo jokes start in issue 1. I don't like Frank Miller, but I think it was on purpose.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:51:59 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Why was E.L. James giving a book signing at CC? I just don't understand. FSOG is erotica, at best, and has zero supernatural/vaguely-ComicCon-relevant-content (except for it being a fictional book). I'm sure it's not the first "thing" to be featured at CC that has nothing to do with usual fare, I just found it really odd. And kind of annoying, to be honest. Like I got the impression they were basically just soaking up the Twilight fan residue from Hall H, which doesn't surprise me whatsoever, but it was honestly the one place I expected pseudo-refuge.

/rant
Their reply was:
If it's any consolation, I heard the turnout for the signing was really not great. Maybe 75 people people, which either means that no one really cared, or James' pretension was showing by only allowing such a small amount. My money is on people not caring, but you never know.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:52:00 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Goddamn Batman vs. fucking Batgirl: who wins???
Their reply was:
I think we all do. You, me and Sexy Alfred.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:52:01 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
What a lot of naval gazing.
Their reply was:
Jack/Surprise OTP.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:52:46 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:

Not in 2052 heteronormativity will be erased, not that in that year we complete equal rights, in that year we will apparently be taken over by a dystopia of radfems who kill all white cis dudes.

(Because radfems have such good track records with trans* issues!)
Their reply was:
I dunno, that person is sixteen. What they're saying is undeniably creepy, but I think it's within normal parameters of Dumb Shit Teenagers Do. They get really really enthusiastically into things and they're very sure that they're right and this can lead to pretty unpleasant views or behaviors, but a lot of people grow out of it.

Granted, some don't, and it's possible that that particular person really is just that awful. But I think a lot of teenage Tumblrites just get swept up in the general fervor and will look back on this in five to ten years and cringe.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:53:50 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Oh, hey, I'm a different anon (I stepped away from meme for RL stuff last month) in Chapel Hill! I would totally go to a thing.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: FFA Meetups
AYRT: Great! I'm busy next weekend, but maybe the weekend of the 28th/29th would work? What kind of place would you like to meet up?

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:54:44 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
I ship lots of things! Though usually in a very casual way which doesn't result in me writing much fic, alas. Currently my main fandom is Naruto, where I will happily ship almost everyone with almost everyone else with the exceptions of Kabuto, Orochimaru (unless it's in a dirtybadwrong way, in which case yes please, or with Jiraiya pre-split), and a few of the other villains (okay - mostly Hidan because I hate him, Kakuzu because he bores me, and Tobi because fuck off Tobi). My favorite ships are Naruto/Sasuke because I swear even Kishimoto ships it, and some rare or fallen-out-of-favor pairs like Anko/Itachi and Kakashi/Gai. ... but seriously, I'll ship anything.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:55:16 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Meme, I'd like to ask all of you for recommendations for lesbian films! Happy endings are much preferred, and any language is fine.

I've already seen Spider Lilies, Love My Life, and Aimée & Jaguar, and Yes or No and Drifting Flowers are on my to-watch list.

So meme, what lesbian films would you recommend?
Their reply was:
The majority of lesbian movies I'm familiar with have been mentioned already, but for some less well-known stuff, I liked Mosquita y Mari, and while Leading Ladies is primarily about familial relationships, the secondary lesbian romance plot is very cute.

(I'm also curious to know where one might find Spider Lilies and Love My Life if one were interested in watching them.)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 10:55:33 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I am going to start by saying that I've been rewatching the first season of Psych, and Shawn/Gus is pretty much the greatest thing ever. I'll admit there are times when the teasing doesn't feel as good-natured, but that does not change the fact that they've been friends forever, they care about each other deeply, and I ship them a ridiculous amount.
Their reply was:
Yes, they are absolutely wonderful. ♥

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:00:36 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I ship lots of things! Though usually in a very casual way which doesn't result in me writing much fic, alas. Currently my main fandom is Naruto, where I will happily ship almost everyone with almost everyone else with the exceptions of Kabuto, Orochimaru (unless it's in a dirtybadwrong way, in which case yes please, or with Jiraiya pre-split), and a few of the other villains (okay - mostly Hidan because I hate him, Kakuzu because he bores me, and Tobi because fuck off Tobi). My favorite ships are Naruto/Sasuke because I swear even Kishimoto ships it, and some rare or fallen-out-of-favor pairs like Anko/Itachi and Kakashi/Gai. ... but seriously, I'll ship anything.
Their reply was:
Kakashi/Gai is an amazing ship and I wish there was more. But Naruto, yeah, I kind of ship everything. Though Team Ten OT3 is my biggest ship and some ships I'm too big on. But I can honestly read anything and am generally okay with.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:01:20 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Why was E.L. James giving a book signing at CC? I just don't understand. FSOG is erotica, at best, and has zero supernatural/vaguely-ComicCon-relevant-content (except for it being a fictional book). I'm sure it's not the first "thing" to be featured at CC that has nothing to do with usual fare, I just found it really odd. And kind of annoying, to be honest. Like I got the impression they were basically just soaking up the Twilight fan residue from Hall H, which doesn't surprise me whatsoever, but it was honestly the one place I expected pseudo-refuge.

/rant
Their reply was:
I hate the fact that there is literally NO escape from this book. I don't think even Twilight was this omnipresent. It's such a fucking joke. :(

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:01:56 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Trek TOS McCoy/Spock, probably baby's first OTP.

Epic friendship where I can see the slashy subtext but can't ever go there myself: Holmes/Watson, ACD flavor. Probably 2nd lifetime OTP, friendship flavor.

A brief sideline in Snape/Hermione through the books 3 & 4 period.

Giles/Buffy from season 1 episode 1 right on through. I can cheerfully ship Giles/Ethan at the same time.
Their reply was:
:D I'm glad I met another Giles/Ethan shipper. Also, Giles/Buffy are a guilty pleasure ship of mine.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:03:35 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
Up to now I've liked Gentarou/Kengo, but mostly preferred other ships with them. I tried resisting, but last weeks episode ruined that and, yeah, OTP damnit. Just that line from Kengo about following him into hell, and how different that is to early episode Kengo without doing a 180 on his personality, and the trust between them. Also awkwardly holding hands for too long. Sorry Yuuki, sorry Nadeshiko.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:04:29 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Because I have been messing around with doll makers this weekend when it's been too hot to do much of anything outside.

Mostly just been making my own characters but here is one of Azula ready for the beach. http://i.imgur.com/OHLle.png

Anons, let's make some dolls! http://elouai.com/candybar5/dress-up-girls.php
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Candybar Doll thread!
I made Rachel and Kurt from glee: http://imgur.com/a/buAra

I tried to put them in the choir room together but it wouldn't work :(

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:06:08 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Sometimes I wind up going to sites that I know will annoy me/tick me off out of some masochistic impulse. For instance, earlier tonight I wound up in the internet radfem collective (transphobia aplenty).

Don't delude yourselves, women, your male children are monsters!
http://factcheckme.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/hate-speech/

Women can never, ever, ever enjoy PIV intercourse, and if they do they're trauma-bonded!
http://factcheckme.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/bad-sense/

Between the people who threatened Laci Green and this, I don't know what to do.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Poking your finger in a light socket, internet-style
I swear, that second article sounded sarcastic....but perhaps that was just wishful thinking.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:07:32 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I am still eagerly waiting for that perfect Arthur/Cobb fic. There have been some great ones, and for being so overshadowed by the monolith that was A/E I am satisfied with what fandom has provided, but there's this small voice in my head that tells me that that fic is out there, just waiting for me to find it, and for that reason I'll read every A/C that comes across my notice.
Their reply was:
You haven't found it yet because I'm still writing it.

...I'm only mostly joking. I've been working on what I believe may be the perfect fic for them, and even if it's not the perfect fic for them that you want, I hope you'll at least enjoy it when I get it done. Eventually.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:09:11 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
*checks anon status like whoa*

I swear I'm not a psychopath or without pity, but I... really, really, REALLY can't stand mentally disabled/mentally ill people.

I work in customer care and it's hard enough when my customers are enraged. When my customers are both mentally ill and have a bone to pick, it makes my day hell. And I have to play into their craziness (sorry) to get them off the phone because God you tell anyone at my job that you can't do anything for a customer. Even one that's on the wrong side of sanity.

(Example: "Your workers at your construction site woke me up in the middle of the night! They're spying on me, just like the government." Or the OCD lady who sat there and watched our guys come off a job, and insisted that they take their breaks on twenty minute increments, like at 1:20, or 1:40 or at the top of the hour.

I think because I've been working at this job for ten years, I've become embittered. Because I didn't used to be this way. And I'm realizing this rant has become as much about my screwy job as it is the difficult customers, but... the end product is that when I run into someone with a mental problem, I'm repulsed in a way I know isn't... compassionate.

*sigh* Maybe I'm just an asshole.
Their reply was:
I know the feeling of being uncomfortable around the mentally disabled. But for me, it's more along the lines of dealing with my own mental conditions, and seeing others makes me think "Is that how I look to other people?"

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:10:57 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
I multiship in every fandom, but some really are special. Forever ships are probably Sherlock Holmes/John Watson in pretty much every iteration and Kirk/Spock as well. Ships of yore that I still can't let go of and are certainly 'up there' in terms of importance to me are Helga/Arnold, Ron/Hermione, Harry/Luna, and House/Wilson.

I've more recently shipped Mark/Eduardo, Arthur/Cobb, and Steve/Danny.

There are a few others in all those categories I'm not mentioning but still treasure but naming them might out me.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:12:19 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
What a lot of naval gazing.
Their reply was:
Ship watching, naval gazing...

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:12:36 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For me, it would be Madonna's "Confessions" Tour...though to be fair I don't go to many concerts, so I don't have many experiences to compare.

What is the best concert you've experienced so far in your life?
Their reply was:
Duran Duran original line up reunion gig in 2003 at the Kentish Town Forum in London. I really lucked out on getting a ticket, apparently there were around 200,000 ticket requests for just over 2,000 tickets. The energy of the crowd was just amazing, and being late to the D2 party, I'd never thought I'd get the chance to see them play together.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:18:41 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
My mother foodshames me all the time and I'm starting to believe I deserve it because I'm overweight and diabetic. [I'm overweight due to severe depression.] I barely eat anything as is [I skip a lot of meals] and this had lead to a lot of comfort eating [especially at night where no one can see me].
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: Things you wouldn't admit unanon TW: food shaming
Man, if you're diabetic, she really shouldn't be guilting you into skipping meals. Being overweight is a lot less unhealthy than screwing your blood sugar up.

You do deserve to eat, anon. Everyone deserves to eat.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:19:26 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Mike/Harvey remains close to my heart. So much snark, so glossy, bonus loyalty!kink and (sometimes) competence!kink. Plus Gina Torres as the stern-ish mom.
Their reply was:
I was shipping Mike/Harvey pretty heavily through the first season, but the second season is leaving me cold. Do you have squee over the past few episodes to help me out? All I've really flailed over was the scene in the first episode where casually dressed Mike was confronting Harvey in a tux.

And Gina Torres is one of my favorite parts of the show. Flawless, flawless BAMF.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:19:49 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
and think...what has fandom done to me?

/nonny was quite contentedly reading some rather violent graphic noncon fic over her breakfast cereal, before being overtaken by the thought that this is not a thing that normal people do, and is not sure how she feels about this.
This happens periodically. Just wondering if other people get this too?
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: do you ever look at yourself
Sometimes, when I get nervous or worried, I imagine sexual scenarios between my favorite RPF ship. And it almost always calms me down. So yeah, I guess fandom has messed me up.

Wow, I've never admitted that before, anon or not. And I never thought I'd find the place to say it.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:21:57 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
What a lot of naval gazing.
Their reply was:
At first I was like :| and then I lol'd.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:22:17 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: Comic Con: Pretend I'm 5
I've been wanting to go to a con for awhile and I think next year, I want to go to Comic Con. I went on the website though and none of it makes sense. I could barely find the information on when the dates were for next year.

So explain to me like I'm 5 years old. How do I buy tickets for all the days, what is a badge and how do I buy it, what hotel is the nearest to Comic Con, and what are the days normally like? The last question isn't so important because obviously it's BUSY and AWESOME, but if you've gone, I'd like to know your experience. Above all, I'd love to know the cost of everything so I can start budgeting now.

Bonus: I'd like to try my hand at cosplay so if you have any suggestions on making, getting a costume and/or walking around in a costume, I'd love to know.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:23:56 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita: Suddenly it's yaoi-con
Did anyone expect the series to turn into an epic about rival fujoshi manga publishers? Because I sure didn't.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:25:09 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm beginning to stan super hard for a barely legal celebrity. I'm only five years older than them, but I still feel kind of inappropriate.
Their reply was:
Fuck, I'm only 19 and I still feel like a creep for reading high school AUs and shipping people who are <25.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:30:14 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: Most jarring spelling mistakes or stylistic choices in fics?
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:31:09 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
An old SG-1 fic where Jack O'Neill drove from Colorado Springs to his cabin in Minnesota in an afternoon.
Their reply was:
Colorado!nonnie can't stop laughing.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:31:18 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I know the feeling of being uncomfortable around the mentally disabled. But for me, it's more along the lines of dealing with my own mental conditions, and seeing others makes me think "Is that how I look to other people?"
Their reply was:
If you have that level of self-awareness, probably not.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:34:13 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
My first OTP was Ron/Hermione, although I wasn't into fandom at that point. I remember constantly rereading all the R/Hr moments in HBP, and my family thought I was just a really slow reader! Man, what I would have done if I had known about fanfic then...

My first OTP when I was aware of fandom is Battler/Beatrice, which still remains my favorite het ship. I got into slash shipping through Reborn (Yamamoto/Gokudera ♥)

The pairing I'm currently going gaga over is Steve/Tony...I'm in love with how their relationship has this sense of scope, since they have so much history together. Not to mention my favorite ships will always be the ones where the characters are close/work together well, yet there is some type of conflict where they push each other and make each other better people (which, c'mon, is stated by Tony in canon!)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:34:14 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For me, it would be Madonna's "Confessions" Tour...though to be fair I don't go to many concerts, so I don't have many experiences to compare.

What is the best concert you've experienced so far in your life?
Their reply was:
I really want to say one of the more recent ones, but to be honest, it would have to be the concert that started my big concert obsession a few years ago.

Air. The moment I saw them in concert was the moment my obsession with concerts in general started. As soon as it was over, that's when I went "Ok, concerts are great, I need to see more of them!" And that's when I started nearly obsessively checking online for where and when bands I like would be playing, and trying to get to as many concerts as possible. So that one definitely holds a special place in my heart.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:34:23 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Need to get something off your chest? Do it here!
Their reply was:
I often end up watching shows just for the slash and the fandom. It's not always enough to get me to keep watching, but it's the reason I get into like 90% of the shows I watch.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:35:13 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'll have characters use 'hysterical' if it's in dialogue and it fits them, but it still annoys me even when I'm writing it.
Their reply was:
AYRT

That works for me! Realistic dialogue > writer annoyances. Also fics told in like close third-person where the POV character would use it. I just don't care for it when that's not the case.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:38:17 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
This nonnie just finished watching FS for the first time in about forever and has no idea where the fandom lives now that we all moved off mailing lists. So, recs appreciated for:

1. Moya's crew being introduced to (and entertained/disgusted/horrified by) Earth customs and artifacts, whether on Earth, as in "Terra Firma," or via John on Moya.

2. Conversely, worldbuilding with Sebacean/Luxan/Nebari/etc. customs being introduced to John.

3. Jool/Chiana fic. Any at all.

I'm partial to John/Aeryn for shipping purposes, but perfectly happy with gen and with other relationships that don't break up J/A.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: fic recs go here! - Farscape
This is old stuff, I don't read much in the fandom anymore. But here are some classics, I guess:

http://bifictionalbedlam.slashcity.net/guests/max.html -- In the Company of Ghosts, an epic AU in which it's Tauvo Crais who ends up on Moya instead of Aeryn. Aeryn follows a different path, which brings her into one of Scorpius' programs. It's still John/Aeryn, but very different, very gritty, with lots of military detail and great action sequences.

http://www.myscape.50megs.com/weight.html -- The Weight of the World, which was written at the beginning of Season 3. The Peacekeepers conquered Earth and John is running the resistance, while Aeryn goes undercover. More John/Aeryn, and there is a kid, but it's hardly kidfic: it's mostly a thriller.

And then you should read Maayan: http://www.butcheredart.net/fiction.html -- pretty much everything. But especially -- no, I can't pick one. They're all kind of brilliant, and a bit off-kilter. Not necessarily J/A.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:39:08 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?
Their reply was:
I was reading a fic yesterday where every time "you're" should have been used it was spelled "your". Literally every single time, I'm not exaggerating. I read about 2/3 of the way through then stopped because it was taking too long to get to the shippy parts.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:40:06 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Need to get something off your chest? Do it here!
Their reply was:
At least 80% of the time, fandom and fics are my gateway to the source canon as opposed to vice versa. Because of this, I've done a lot of faking it till I make It (i.e. watch the show-movie-anime, read the book-comic-manga). In some of my fandoms, I never got around to the source canon and know only the fandom and the fanon (*cough*HSM*cough*).

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:40:34 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Need to get something off your chest? Do it here!
Their reply was:
Last post, someone in one of the threads on The Amazing Spider-Man, compared Peter/Flash to Arthur/Eames. Now I've not yet seen Inception (I have the DVD, need to get around to it) but for some reason that really annoyed the fuck out of me. I have seen TAS, and from my meme-gathered impression, Arthur/Eames is practically White Cock in action. Peter/Flash had interaction, a story arc and a few plausibly slashy moments, which doesn't sound to me like Arthur/Eames (as gained from the meme, again). Now I shipped the hell out of Peter/Connors as well (but I'm a die-hard multishipper in most fandoms - I also like Peter/Gwen for this one, so far) but I have to say I felt a bit offput about filling Connors/Peter prompts on the kinkmemes after seeing that. I mean I probably will, but that did really annoy me, and I might focus more on another small fandom for a bit because of said annoyance.

I don't know the Connnors/Peter anon just struck me as butthurt and bashing Peter/Flash for no real reason.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:42:45 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?
Their reply was:
Than and then consistently being misused. I ended up finishing it though because it was the only SPAG issue and the plot was interesting enough.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:42:56 PM7/15/12
[...]

Subject: Re: Comic Con: Pretend I'm 5
I can't speak for how to get tickets and such, as someone else was responsible for mine, but the biggest part of CC, for me, was planning. You really have to know going in what events/panels/signings you want to attend, because you're going to have to stand in line.

This year was awful. Basically, multiple panels happen in the same rooms, back-to-back. They only let as many people in as they room for. So if people stay after one panel, then they'll only let a few more in. And if EVERYONE stays (like this year), for the WHOLE DAY and every single panel, then no one is getting in, and standing in line is fruitless. It really sucked. So you have to have a strategy, and if it's a panel you're really REALLY attached to, prepare to camp out. And be willing to make sacrifices otherwise.

It's a pricey affair. I'm on the east coast, so the airfare is what hurts me most. I was able to get a round trip for around $1000, which was OUCH.

The hotels are tricky. For one, all the good/cheap ones fill up very quickly after dates are announced, so you have to really be on your game. In this case, having fannish friends to bunk with is a lifesaver. My group of 5 got one room at a really swanky four-star hotel and after the split, we each paid about $300 for three nights.

Food can be pricey, but you can plan ahead for this as well and just go to a grocery store, stock up on stuff you can eat on the go. Our hotel room had a small fridge and microwave, so that helped.

But to be honest, don't splurge on a fancy hotel room. My friend who chose the four-star was completely stupid. I think, in all, we only spent a total of 8 hours there, if that. Seemed a gigantic waste of money, to me. Another group got a crappy room at Holiday Inn and what they paid seemed like a drop in the bucket in comparison. And it's not like they were around to hate it. You're basically just using the bed for 4 hours, and you're if you're like us, you'll be a zombie by the time you fall into it and won't even care if it's uncomfortable.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:43:37 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I often end up watching shows just for the slash and the fandom. It's not always enough to get me to keep watching, but it's the reason I get into like 90% of the shows I watch.
Their reply was:
I wish I could do this, sometimes. I can't get into a fandom unless I feel a spark with the show. I've tried to get into fandoms because they seemed cool or my friends were in them, but I can't do it.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:44:07 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?
Their reply was:
Perfectly pleasant fic, and then:

the blond man, the thin man, the older sibling, the younger brother, the green-eyed man, the dark-haired man, etc.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:44:27 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
A physical representation of trauma, insecurity, damaged self-image, being met with reassurance and acceptance and tenderness. This stuff is what makes scarfic so deeply, idtastically charged for me; it's a symbolically loaded physical locus for gestures of emotional and physical healing.

Yes, this, absolutely this.

I think the other thing that comes to mind when I think about it is the isolation that comes with being scarred, and how lonely and distancing an experience it probably is. And that no matter how much love and support you have externally, the journey of self-acceptance when it comes to it is all yours, and a very internal, deeply personal thing. So there's the duality of taking strength from your support network, and finding it in yourself. If that doesn't sound too Harlequin.

I really love everything you've said.

I would love any Silmarillion scarfic you have, oh man just the idea of it makes my head spin. I don't know the fandom you like, but am really happy to read in it as long as I don't need to know canon.

Thank you again. :)

Their reply was:
Subject: Re: fic recs go here! -- doing yr kinks wrong/right (Cont'd)
Yes! Not too Harlequin at all.

Silm recs, ahhh, I can try to poke around a bit later but it may take a while. I read mainly Maedhros and Fingon fic (gen or slashy, don't care either way), and that is of course full of amazing canon scarring and angst. But there's so little Silmfic in general, and it's so scattered, that I've never bothered to bookmark it all; I just go on periodic binges where I look everything up and READ ALL THE MAEDHROS/FINGON AGAIN until it runs out. Pretty much anything you can find with those two post-Thangorodrim is guaranteed to have scar-kink elements!

Saiyuki, OTOH, I can give multiple recs just from skimming my memories; the scars are such a prominent part of their stories that even fics that aren't all about scarkink will still have a lot of idtastic scar stuff just because it comes with the territory.

Glancing over these character summaries might be all the canon background you need:

http://saiyuki.wikia.com/wiki/Sha_Gojyo
http://saiyuki.wikia.com/wiki/Cho_Hakkai

Or if you'd rather sample a small bit of canon for a more organic sense of their relationship dynamic, watch this:

http://youtu.be/im8vDNEZgGs
http://youtu.be/QLR40SB0eAo
http://youtu.be/kjjMh9jE6FI

It's a half-hour self-contained storyline about a pivotal moment in the awkward early days of their friendship, with lots of allusions to their angsty scar backstories.

Anyway, recs! I don't know if all of these would count as examples of things eligible for KB...some don't have any overt sexual or romantic component, some are only pre-slashy, some involve talking or thinking about scars but not really eroticizing them? But this is all stuff my id considers to be satisfying scar!kink.

http://saiyuki-time.livejournal.com/115379.html Established relationship, light chat about scars; deeper feelings are bubbling under the surface of the banter but not spoken aloud.

http://cicer.livejournal.com/162975.html Awkward failed attempt at a first time, when a massive injury is just barely healed (and mental/emotional damage is still too raw) - much thinking about scars while carefully not talking about them, and bad reactions to a new scar being touched for the first time.

http://springkink.livejournal.com/1383940.html Pre-slash, POV character angsts in relation to his own scars, sympathizes with his friend's scars.

http://emungere.livejournal.com/177542.html Established relationship, dark but with a happy ending. Nightmares about the source of an old scar leads to talk of things usually glossed over, ending with a rather disturbing (but consensual and deeply cathartic) sexual roleplaying. scene (Also includes mild scarification.)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/44728 Pre-slash, a more inside-out take on nightmares reviving old trauma; here an abstract discussion of scarring is used as a way to talk around unacknowledged emotional trauma.

http://hardlove.livejournal.com/162333.html First time, starting with one character's discovery that his friend's scarring physical and mental trauma has damaged his ability to sense pain.

http://sharpeslass.livejournal.com/32939.html First time written for a scar kink prompt; a rude stranger's questions raise the subject of scars, which is the catalyst that gets them talking about subjects they've avoided. Lots of thinking about scars and their history, talking about what they represent, touching them lovingly and allowing that touch for the first time.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:46:20 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Hey, the East Side of Chicago is all too real. Probably wasn't an intentional reference unless someone out there's writing Richard Speck AU fic though.
Their reply was:
To be fair, someone looking at a map would see an East Chicago, Indiana, so its understandable that someone could be confused even if they did a little research.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:46:24 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
As someone on her friendslist, I vaguely object to the idea that we'll all leap to agree with her on her characterizations or opinions or are minions to dogpile people she disagrees with at will.

I've seen plenty of people disagree with her in her posts; one particular example being how many of us are not really into writing or caring about Kaner since Cinco de Mayo debacle, while she is still perfectly happy to do so (and that's fine if she or others want to). I've seen one of the authors of one of the fics with characterization she objects to disagree with her as well - publicly anyway; I actually suspect there's a lot of resentment from both sides behind the scenes.

I do agree that she can leave out context passively-aggressively a lot of times, especially with the recent jedusaur-angelsaves interaction and she does have a very large mouthpiece in hockey fandom. But I just wanted to point out that a lot of her flist outside of her close group of friends are not actually 100% behind every opinion she has and aren't willing to leap into dogfights on her behalf.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: From the last post re: impertinence
The nonny you replied to was correct, though: anybody who disagrees runs a serious risk of being dogpiled by her and her core group of friends. You basically don't have a lot of options, as the focus of one of these call-outs; you know it's you but feel kind of stupid commenting in case it isn't, and even if angelsaves or whichever close friend of hers doesn't jump directly on you and go on about how you're a shitty human being who gets off on being mean to abuse victims or whatever, there's still the postful of her wider flist agreeing that you're terrible, whether they know that's what they're agreeing to or not. And you can't really argue characterization even if you want to, because by the time the post is made it's not about that anymore; presenting it that way is just part of how she gets everyone to agree that she won the day.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:46:41 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Welp, I did not realise that was a kink I had until I read your post and realised you were basically describing my OTP (reasonably attractive guy x woman from a traditionally very attractive species who happened to be born with a horrendous facial deformity, for the record.)

I will read the stuff you suggested, and recs would be appreciated if available/convienient. :)
Their reply was:
What canon is this from, nonny? Rambly scarkink nonny would love to check your OTP out.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:46:54 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I wish I could do this, sometimes. I can't get into a fandom unless I feel a spark with the show. I've tried to get into fandoms because they seemed cool or my friends were in them, but I can't do it.
Their reply was:
ayrt

I feel sort of shitty about it, honestly. I worry that I don't even care about the shows and am just doing it because I want to be in on the jokes and understand what people are talking about. I dunno, I have a lot of trouble identifying my own emotions with certainty, and I worry that I'm too easily influenced by others. I don't even know if it's true, though. I might just be having confidence issues.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:49:29 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Meme, I'd like to ask all of you for recommendations for lesbian films! Happy endings are much preferred, and any language is fine.

I've already seen Spider Lilies, Love My Life, and Aimée & Jaguar, and Yes or No and Drifting Flowers are on my to-watch list.

So meme, what lesbian films would you recommend?
Their reply was:
A Canadian one: Better than Chocolate, a little cheesy, but really sweet and funny.

I like Bound, it was a little male gazy, and very noir, but fun.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:50:23 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For me, it would be Madonna's "Confessions" Tour...though to be fair I don't go to many concerts, so I don't have many experiences to compare.

What is the best concert you've experienced so far in your life?
Their reply was:
Queen at Wembley on the Kind Of Magic tour. My first concert, and i reckon i'll never see a better one.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:50:34 PM7/15/12
[...]

There is a 4-day badge with or without preview night - which is usually around 3 hours on the Wednesday before the con starts where the Exhibit Hall is open. There's also a few events but the main attraction is getting to go around the Exhibit Hall early without the crowd. There's also individual 1-day badges for each of the 4 days.

You have to sign up for a member ID and they will announce when badge sales will open (this year they were in March). They said they're changing the badge buying this year though, so definitely check for updates on that. I've never bought a badge since I usually volunteer, but I'm assuming you just log-in when the badge sales are open and try frantically to score one. The Marriott is adjacent to the convention center and there are actually quite a few events that take place in there (of course, it's incredibly expensive though). There's shuttles to various other hotels though (I live in SD, so I can't really speak for how well they are run). There's also public transportation through the trolley - there's 2 stops literally in front of the convention center that are really useful if you'd rather get a hotel that is not included in the shuttle system.

Anything in Hall H or Ballroom 20 (Hall H is for movies, Ballroom 20 is for TV shows) will require hours of waiting in line. Ballroom 6BCF is also really popular. I didn't go this year (sob) but for example, I got in line for Ballroom 20 around 7 AM and the first panel was at 10 AM and I was in the last 20% of people admitted into the first panel? They don't clear the rooms between panels, so oftentimes fans will take up seats in prior panels so they can wait in there until the panel they want happens while seat-jumping to the front.

I can't really speak much for cost considering I usually volunteer (free day badges!) and I don't need a hotel, nor do I buy much in the Exhibit Hall...but it's definitely a lot. Maybe even near the $1000 mark, although that's just a guesstimate.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:51:46 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
Yeah, if you're going to use Latin in a title, use Latin. Not google translate Latin. And if you don't know enough Latin to translate your title, consider not using Latin.

(This pretty much goes for any foreign language titles.)
Their reply was:
This.

Nothing makes me hit the back button more than bad Latin. I don't mind it being a title but use correct grammar, damn it!

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:53:45 PM7/15/12
[...]
...um I'm in the hockey fandom and this sounds crazily tinhatty to me.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:54:14 PM7/15/12
[...]

Here's a fairly comprehensive advice post that you might be interested in: http://seanan-mcguire.livejournal.com/447948.html

I can't say I've ever gone myself, so I don't really have any practical advice for you.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:56:03 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
ayrt

I know, right? They didn't even say what species! Most sharks think people taste icky! :/
Their reply was:
AYRT

Truth. D: My favorite sharks are nurse sharks, because they take naps. And snuggle (well, maybe only the ones in aquariums do that, but it's still adorable).

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:56:39 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I just discovered porn fic that a RL friend wrote, and the porn was worse than 50 Shades of Grey. I also recently discovered that an acquaintance is a big Arthur/Eames shipper, which is good to note because I hated Inception and now know not to bash the movie around her. Inception!acquaintance also has a tumblr and tags her capslock feels.

Nonnies, share the stories of when you discovered a RL friend was in fandom, and when it was it was of the "get drunk and podfic their porn" variety.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: When fandom and RL collides
I've pretty much always been "out" in terms of fandom, so I naturally attract a lot of fellow fandomers or end up converting my non-fandom friends. I guess one sort of awkward moment was when I met this girl who I discovered was really into Supernatural fandom, but she hated Castiel, never finished season four, and didn't even ship Wincest. As someone who ships both Wincest and Destiel, and primarily identified as a D/C fan back then (though that has changed), it was sort of a disappointment since she was the first -- and for a while, only -- SPN fan I'd met at college.

But now I've completely converted one of my dormmates to the fandom and she's really into the D/C, and at least three other people have told me they started watching it this summer. They're not going to get way into the fandom like me, but it's still awesome. \o/

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:58:55 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
For me, it would be Madonna's "Confessions" Tour...though to be fair I don't go to many concerts, so I don't have many experiences to compare.

What is the best concert you've experienced so far in your life?
Their reply was:
Dir en grey live. I went to three total, and the second one was probably the best - I had a good view, I was (for once) up to date on their discography and knew almost all the songs, and I went with a good friend. It was a great time.

Also a metal concert I went to featuring Epica. Tiny venue, fucking amazing show.

... I'm also not a frequent concert-goer.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 15, 2012, 11:59:56 PM7/15/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?
Their reply was:
For me it's not typos, but misspelling as other words, particularly homophones/words that sound vaguely similar. The ACD!fic where Watson calls Holmes a handsome, for instance. (It helps that there's a joke along the same lines in Shroud Of The Thwacker, thanks, but I prefer 'boyishly good-looking'.) Just that they look right... but aren't, and are often comical.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:00:00 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
AYRT

Truth. D: My favorite sharks are nurse sharks, because they take naps. And snuggle (well, maybe only the ones in aquariums do that, but it's still adorable).
Their reply was:
DA

Mine are Port Jackson sharks, because they like to get pats, and when they see a favoured keeper, they'll come to the top of their tank for scritches. Also, they look pretty neat!

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:00:12 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I know, old meme, but I'd never actually sat down and read this before, and...it really is one of the funniest things I think I've ever read. I can't tell--is this meant to be satire? Dark Knight Strikes Again is pretty satirical, but this...
Their reply was:
The thing that's always puzzled me up regarding the "it was meant to be a satire from the beginning!" explanation is that an over-the-top and heavily satirical story seems like a really odd choice for an imprint that was originally meant to present iconic, accessible versions of characters for readers who were new to comics. So either Miller was totally seriously about it and then fell back on the "satire!!" excuse when the reviews came in, or Miller wanted to do a crazy version of Batman and totally ignored the intended purpose of the imprint. Neither of which speaks well of him, but it's not like that's a surprise.

Of course, ASBAR's awfulness meant it had good numbers and people who'd never read a comic picked it up to see just how bad it was, so...mission partially accomplished, I guess.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:01:55 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I'm reading a perfectly lovely Steve/Tony fic full and then the author throws me right out of the story by, for no reason that I can possibly imagine, spelling "through" as "thru".

What the FUCK, author? Why would anyone do that! The rest of their spelling and grammar is perfectly fine so I'm sure they know the correct spelling.

Utter nonsense, weird, and very annoying.

What similar things have you come across that made you double take at best and stop reading at worst?
Their reply was:
When every single character "starred" at something or someone. That's not stylistic, just a recurring typo (god, I hope), but throughout the whole fic I just kept picturing the main character giving out stars. Like GoodReads. "Three incredulous stars for you."

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:02:47 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I often end up watching shows just for the slash and the fandom. It's not always enough to get me to keep watching, but it's the reason I get into like 90% of the shows I watch.
Their reply was:
I'm a lot more likely to something a shot if it has a large fandom (I have Teen Wolf sitting and waiting to be watched for just this reason), but I probably only actually end up getting into those fandoms about half the time.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:06:35 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
I can't speak for the class, but I love talking about my ships. So, let's talk about the ships we ship.
Their reply was:
Ships I am really into right now: Audrey/Nathan/Duke, which is the most OT3 of OT3s ever, and people who ship just Audrey/Nathan or just Nathan/Duke are WRONG. Wrong, okay? Wrong.

Also McKay/Sheppard, which just works, somehow. Possibly because they're both completely maladjusted in oddly complementary ways.

My 'you can never pair them with other people ever' all time OTPs: Legolas/Gimli, John/Aeryn, Jim/Blair, Han/Leia, and Hikaru/Akira.

Other ships I have shipped and still ship if I go back to that canon: Fraser/RayK, Devon/Danziger, Rei/Minako, Ranma/Akane, Ken/Daisuke, Jack/Sam, Lee/Amanda, Starsky/Hutch, Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon, Buffy/Faith, Giles/Ethan, Gunn/Wesley, Doctor/Master, Jared/Miss Parker, Stuart/Vince, Cara/Kahlan, Garak/Bashir, Londo/G'Kar, Chad/Ryan, and Helen/Nikola/John/James/Nigel.

If you can find any sort of pattern in those please tell me, because I sure can't.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:07:26 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to a LiveJournal post in which sunnymodffa (sunnymodffa) said:
A story featuring were-velociraptors appeared this week in the wild. Or on AO3. Same thing.  Nowhere in this story did they mention FFA. I feel as if we were slighted somehow. Don't all characters who turn into velociraptors come here? They should.

All the fail_fandomanon Rules and Information: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/36692.html
The short version: no embeds, don't out people's real names, don't be that much of an asshole, body fluids are off topic, Mods reserve the right to delete the fuck out of stuff. Meme away.

Other posts and resources relevant to your interests:

Flat Meme: http://fail-fandomanon.livejournal.com/37289.html?view=flat
Their reply was:
Subject: How not to be annoying on tumblr
^ Exactly what it says on the tin. Share your wisdom, meme.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:11:26 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
^ Exactly what it says on the tin. Share your wisdom, meme.
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: How not to be annoying on tumblr
Don't be an otherkin. (This is generally good life advice in any context.)

(LOL@ "please confirm you are a human below." What about posters who are trollkin or velociraptorkin? Species privilege!)

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:12:08 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
^ Exactly what it says on the tin. Share your wisdom, meme.
Their reply was:
Don't flood my dashboard with your responses to asks.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:13:01 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
NA

On a similar note, I had a character use the phrase "would of" in some dialogue, though I cringed while doing so. Some reviewer tried to correct me on it.
Their reply was:
NA: But the only difference between "would've" and "would of" is in spelling. Why would you spell it that way for dialogue?? If all dialogue included the spelling mistakes the speaker would make if they were writing it down, um... that would be weird.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:14:31 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
^ Exactly what it says on the tin. Share your wisdom, meme.
Their reply was:
Tag your shit accordingly. If one more "One Direction" post comes across my dash post-blacklisting of every person, acronym, possible typo, and song/album names, I'm going to ragequit the internet. I've been ridiculously thorough, people. It's your turn for an ounce of effort.

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

LiveJournal Comment

Jul 16, 2012, 12:15:49 AM7/16/12
to sockg...@hotmail.com
Somebody replied to an anonymous comment left in a LiveJournal post. The comment they replied to was:
<333
Their reply was:
Subject: Re: fic recs go here! - H/c
Any hurt/comfort fics where a character soldiers on in spite of a steadily worsening illness/injury/exhaustion until they collapse? All fandoms except Avengers movieverse (616 is fine, but there's a high chance I've already read any given hurt!Tony fic in comics fandom).

From here, you can: If your mail client supports it, you can also reply here:

Message:

It is loading more messages.