President's message, March 2022

1 view

Stephen Chrisomalis

Mar 19, 2022, 1:40:02 PM3/19/22
to society-for-anthro...@googlegroups.com
SAS members and friends,

As the weather grows warmer (at least here) I wanted to reach out (as SAS president) with some relevant information about our upcoming conferences, and some other items.

Spring meeting (SFAA) : Salt Lake City / Online (Mar 22-26)

Our spring meeting this week is taking place in conjunction with the Society for Applied Anthropology.  SfAAs this year are hybrid, in person in Salt Lake City and online.  You can find the agenda of SAS papers and presentations at http://www.societyforanthropologicalsciences.org/2021/12/2022-sfaa-preliminary-program-sas.html or in the SfAA program itself.   And our tireless webmaster, Doug Hume, will be ensuring that all the events are posted to social media in advance as well. Unfortunately I won't be able to be there in person this year but I'm excited to attend online events.

I want to draw your attention to our hybrid Business Meeting, to be held on Thursday March 24, 5:30-7:30 PM Mountain Time (that's 7:30pm Eastern).  In person in SLC, it's in Little Cottonwood at the hotel, or by Zoom.  For those attending online, register in advance for this meeting here: https://buff.ly/3tg3R0J . After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.   We'll be discussing a number of items of relevance to the future of the Society - please come in-person or online as you prefer.

Fall meeting (AAA) : Seattle / Online (Nov 9-13)

Our program chair for AAA this year, President-Elect Toni Copeland, put out a call for contributions for the AAA program last week which I want to promote here.  We are very hopeful that this year's AAAs in Seattle will be well-attended and have lots of SAS participation.  Please use the AAA community, or the listserve, to seek participants for panels / workshops.  IMPORTANT: This year's deadlines are quite early: Wednesday March 30 to start your submission, and Wednesday April 6 to finish it up - just a couple weeks away! The good news, once again, is that meeting registration and AAA membership are NOT required for all participants in advance (at the time of submission) - once acceptances go out in July, you register for the conference and renew your membership then.  Group proposals are submitted by the panel organizer only this year - it's a little different but I'm optimistic that they've fixed some of the mistakes of the past.  The portal for all submissions is https://annualmeeting.americananthro.org/

Other matters

We've got a lot planned for 2022, starting right after the spring meetings this week.  While we'll be talking about many of these on Thursday at the business meeting, you'll be hearing more about these over the months to come, including:
  • Expansion campaign / membership drive (we are up around 20% from this time last year)
  • Reduction in student member fee to $0
  • Summer student writing group
  • H. Russell Bernard fund (new donation portal and giving campaign)
  • SAS summer conference in Vilnius, Lithuania (https://www.sasciconf2021.fsf.vu.lt/about-the-conference)
  • Online events/workshops/ventures
As always, in addition to here, you can keep up to date with SAS activities on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SocietyforAnthropologicalSciences and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/AnthroSciences.  You can also reach me by email at any time.

Stephen Chrisomalis (he/him)
Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

Dept. of Anthropology, Wayne State University

President, Society for Anthropological Sciences

3019 FAB, 656 W. Kirby, Detroit, MI 48202
chris...@wayne.edu

https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/dz6179