Other Roman Groups

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Jan 14, 2016, 2:27:15 PM1/14/16
to Societas Via Romana
Salvete, amici -

While my Stoicism study occupies a deal of my free time, I do try to keep up our little list here and deal with new applicants for membership in the SVR.  I thank Laterensis for following through and actually joining us.  And while our little group is quiet, and I think we're not the only ones.  Am I wrong, or has the interest in things Roman declined somewhat in recent years?

I have found that one of our more illustrious and sage SVR founders, Piscinus, has membership in a Swedish-based group, www.respublica-romana.com , apparently (like the SVR originally) a spin-off of members from Nova Roma.  Have any of you visited this site?

I think our most active - in two senses - member of SVR would be Medusa, being gladiatrix with the gladiatorial group Ludus Nemesis, website http://www.ludus-nemesis.eu .  You can see videos of their demonstrations and contests at their site.

What about other groups?  Is the rest of Neo-Romanism popping or quiescent these days?  How many of you, sodales, are involved in a more active Neo-Roman organization?

Cleopatra Aelia

Jan 14, 2016, 2:54:46 PM1/14/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve Iohanne,
Salvete Omnes,

Thanks for pointing our my gladiator group LVDVS NEMESIS.

I don't think that interest in Rome declined, only the medium changed. People are more active nowadays on Facebook. I personally think that an e-mail list like this is rather outdated. I personally prefer still a forum as a platform for discussion because it is structured so that you could find even older threads. Whereas in a Facebook group you cannot sort threads into certain topics so always the latest post is on top and the older the further to the bottom it is.

Through my re-enactment activity as a gladiatrix I got to know many other Roman re-encators, fellow gladiators, legionaries, civilians. We all more or less have an interest in all things Roman, be it Roman cooking at camp, be it Roman religion. But none of them is organized in any kind of Neo-Roman organization like Nova Roma.

Valete optime,
Medusa Gladiatrx

Appius Iunius Laterensis

Jan 14, 2016, 3:33:59 PM1/14/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salvete

I can see that also other neo-Roman groups and movements are not more so active. In my humble opinion many people like to "talk" but not so much to go deeper and practice. And this is the reason why then there is a "silence". In the end remain a few people and some other people start to look for new groups and communities - but then also there they will be bored.
What I like in Old Times is that all of this was practical - style of life and looking at the world around.  It means that to be a Roman can not be understood only as virtual club out of daily life.
My humble opinion.

Valete!

Ap. Iunius Laterensis

L. Livia Plauta

Jan 15, 2016, 11:03:18 AM1/15/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve Johannes,
the most active Roman religious group at this time is CPR, that is Communitas Populi Romani, in Italy. It's based in Rome, but it has members in the rest of Italy too, and affiliated organizations in Brasil, Costa Rica and France. However, it's based on personal presence, so you can only join if you are in a place where at least two other cultores are, so that you can form a Curia, or you can join an existing Curia. Most of the Internet activity goes on on Facebook.
The Facebook group called Cultus Deorum is also an important hub for people to keep in touch.
Res Publica Romana was founded by exiles from Nova Roma, but at the moment it has few members. Unlike Nova Roma, however, it has a normal atmosphere and it's not currently subject to a dictatorship. Its statute was thought up in order to avoid most of the problems which befell Nova Roma, but it maintains the major flaw that the organization is open to people of all religions.
Being open to people of all religions is a requirement by law, so CPR also allows anybody, but in this case taking part in monthly rituals is required in order to keep membership, so people who are not interested in Roman religion disappear by themselves.

Optime vale,
Livia

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Jan 22, 2016, 12:57:58 PM1/22/16
to Societas Via Romana
Took me a while to find time to reply, but I certainly wanted to thank you for the resumé of Neo-Roman groups.  You said, speaking of the RPR,

Unlike Nova Roma, however, it has a normal atmosphere and it's not currently subject to a dictatorship.

I wanted to open up that whole subject:  What is going on at Nova Roma? There's always been strife there, usually inter-religious in nature, but at this point there's been an Internet coup-d'etat, the place is under lock & key, and there have been proscriptions (in the sad old Roman fashion). Does anyone know more? Where was the NEED for a coup-d'etat?

And, Lucia Livia, you made an interesting point:

[RPR's] statutes were thought up in order to avoid most of the problems which befell Nova Roma, but it maintains the major flaw that the organization is open to people of all religions.

At first that seems a sad judgment (to a Liberal-type like myself) but probably a fair one. If the purpose of an organization is the restoration of the Religio Romana, then that purpose (and its object) must dominate the proceedings; other religions would come second.  But has this actually been a problem for the RPR, too? Have they been plagued by the sorts of fights and blame-casting that NR used to see between Pagans and Christians?

L. Livia Plauta

Jan 22, 2016, 3:03:44 PM1/22/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
No, RPR has had no infights yet. They have just been plagued by the fact that there are very few people in it. Those few are civilized, however.

Nova Roma is currently under the dictatorship of Sulla. I don't remember the apropos of the coup, but there was no need for it, other than Sulla wanting all power (and assets) for himself.

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 11, 2016, 6:45:14 PM3/11/16
to Societas Via Romana
Some other groups I don't believe I've mentioned:

United Nations of Roma Victrix ( http://www.unrv.com/ ) is an interesting site.  Her enterprising proprietor, Christian Posratschnig, and his team even have book-giveaway contests (various new books, but not the now-infamous one from Triarius!).

Another Res Publica Romana, in contrast to the RPR, has arisen (you've probably read Brutus's post in the Amended History thread) founded by P. Iunius Brutus.  His post  here  has some links.  To avoid confusion, they go by "Roman Republic -dot- org".

Still around is a non-social, non-forum site, http://www.forumromanum.org/index2.html , most important to me as an entrance point for the Corpus Scriptorum Latinorum.  (If only I was retired and could spend some hours with the ancients!)

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 25, 2016, 6:35:51 PM3/25/16
to Societas Via Romana
Iunius Brutus's Roman Republic is off to a roaring start.  For Romans of earlier NR or SVR days, some respectable names have shown up, as though people soured on Nova Roma's decline have found a new home.