Amended 'History Lesson"

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 7, 2016, 9:24:53 PM3/7/16
to Societas Via Romana
Here is my revised summary of recent events at NR.  As always, if anyone notes any errors, please let me know.

NR (Nova Roma) has always had its simmering political frustrations. The SVR itself was born of an earlier NR controversy, back in 2003. NR member Marius Peregrinus was hounded out of NR and brought with him a freedom-loving group, and they founded the SVR. Years later, for a time in 2008, thanks to broad-minded people at NR, there was a period of rapprochement between our own SVR and NR, and a number of people were became members of both organizations.

I speculate that NR's resumption of relations with what Sulla and company called a "competing organization" -- one that was attached to inclusiveness and freedom -- may have irked them, and helped prompt their long-range plans for consolidating power.

In any event, politics in NR have always been stormy.  In 2010 the group that favored reconciliation, led by Piscinus (a very respected SVR member), explored the possibility of establishing a dictatorship at NR themselves.  They approached Marinus, a citizen felt to be neutral politically and trustworthy individually, and offered him the distatorship. Marinus consulted an attorney, who said, no, it would not be legal to set up such a dictatorship in NR.  Apparently at this time Sulla threatened legal action if they seriously tried to impose such a radical solution.

At least some of those who had proposed the Marinus dictatorship left NR and went on to found the Res Publica Romana (the RPR which Livia Plauta mentioned, [ http://www.respublica-romana.com/ ]. This new organization was intended to improve upon NR. At what must have been the same time, a Cultus Deorum website and Facebook group were set up in 2011; the site has since lapsed, but the Facebook group was restored, and it continues [ https://www.facebook.com/cultusdeorum/ ].

Among the founders was one of our own founding members, Horatius Piscinus, cultor extraordinaire, scholar of Rome, man of sound judgment.

This may have added yet more to the Sullan faction's paranoia: losing some of their best people to yet other "competing organizations".

In 2013 Sulla apparently posted an announcement that indicated that his colleague Caesar had come up with a "legal" way to impose a dictatorship in NR. (I'd be interested to know if at that time they were portraying themselves as warning others or as threatening others.)

 Later, in the Senate session of July, 2013, an agenda item appeared about the creation of an "Executive Committee", which was to be a group of two (Sulla and an appointee) who would (in an emergency) exercise all the powers of the Senate (the Board of Directors). (In the business world an Executive Committee allows one or two people to take care of the day-to-day board work and leave the rest of the board free for other things.)  Sulla portrayed the Committee as being legally desirable and simply "advisory in nature".  It was sold as an antidote to the hypothetical problem of a magistrate gone wild, sold as a failsafe device.  If any NR citizens noticed "Executive" in the Committee's name and put two and two together, they were too few. As to the law itself, it was innocuously titled "Senatus Consultum on Corporate Compliance", but its "Executive Committee" would function not as an advisory committee, but as the organ out of which the Dictatura would emerge.

At the time Senator Crassus queried Sulla as to why a simple advisory committee should be gifted with actual Senatorial powers. I'm told there are over a dozen pages of back-and-forth argument on this (was this during that July 2013 session or subsequently?). Eventually, Sulla disclosed that the rationale for giving the Committee this potential power was so that it might issue Senatus Consulta as the only effective way to combat a hypothetical out-of-control official.  Despite the debate, the Executive Committee was approved for creation (Crassus dissenting, I believe).

If my information is correct, later at some point, said Senator Crassus was "tried" for "treason" in NR. (A treason trial? By Gadfrey, what a give-away!  I wonder who the prosecutors were?)  Can anyone else supply the date for this, or verification that it occurred?

And apparently some time after this, without mention of the "Corporate Compliance" law, Sulla posted that he and his cohorts had verified with an attorney that, yes, Caesar's un-named method of establishing a dictatorship in NR would apparently be legal, after all.

At some point (perhaps in 2013 or 2014?) it became law in NR that no one serving on the Board (the Senate) could simultaneously belong to the board (or magistracy) of any "competing organization".

Finally (in 2014 or 2015?) two controversial Consulta were proposed to the NR Senate; these involved requirements for new members that would preclude admitting anyone to NR who was involved -- or even suspected of involvement -- with any "competing organizations".  Apparently this was supposed to involve a controversy surrounding one Publius Claudius Caecus, which is mentioned but not explained in Sulla's obfuscatory post (given in Livia Plauta's second post).

I'm told that when this Senate meeting took place, there was a storm: NR's Senator Audens spoke out against the measures, the argument boiled over, and ultimately Audens resigned in disgust from both the Senate and from NR. Yet despite the objections he had raised, the two Consulta passed.

One NR Tribune, Publius Porcius Licinus, conscientiously posted an Intercessio (in common terms an appeal for a stay of execution, in effect a veto by the Tribune). Now this had to be ratified by the other Tribunes, and although Sulla and company immediately argued the Intercessio was improper, it was in fact upheld by the other Tribunes. This actual practice of republican government was too much for the Sullan faction, and so they announced the Dictatura, revealing that the "Executive Committee" had already been more-or-less secretly activated in 2013! And that they were now going to issue not just Senatus Consulta, but Senatus Consulta Ultima -- Senatorial executive orders of the highest authority.

The expulsions, demotions and banishments followed, in the worst tradition of the malefactors' namesakes, Sulla and Caesar. As I said, if anyone can add to or correct the chain of events, please do so.

Also:  Tribnue Porcius Licinus and Consul Tutor are heading up the fight to have this state of affairs overturned and the illegal seizure of control of the NR non-profit reversed via litigation. Porcius Licinus has posted here, and if one is interested in supporting their fight to re-open NR, you can contact him.

Appius Iunius Laterensis

Mar 7, 2016, 11:57:33 PM3/7/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve V. Claudius Johannes

Thank you for all info.
I would like to ask who created this one: http://romanrepublic.org

Vale

Ap. Iunius Laterensis

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 8, 2016, 7:14:06 PM3/8/16
to Societas Via Romana
Salve, Laterensis -

Thank you for pointing me there, reminds me of SVR in its hayday, and it parallels the better activities that Lentulus and others had tried to promote in NR.  I may just apply for citizenship.

Of course, your trick question was:  Who created "Roman Republic - dot - org"?  I have to note, Laterensis, that you are among that membership!  So -- are you not a founder of http://romanrepublic.org ?

Vale bene.

Appius Iunius Laterensis

Mar 8, 2016, 10:56:35 PM3/8/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve Iohannes

No, I am not a founder of it. I joined them two days ago - I received some email with info about this. This is the email:

Greetings, Salvete and Khairete!

Fellow Romans (and Greeks!):

I am writing you to invite you to come visit and preview our exciting new website, romanrepublic.org.

With more than one year in the planning and development of an online modern dynamic platform to bring together modern Romans and Roman enthusiasts, we have on March 1st of this year publically opened the Roman Republic Cultural Group, a Canadian registered Non-Profit Organization.

What this means for you is that there is finally a place where all Roman and Roman-related groups can come together.  How you benefit from membership is that we get to all meet you and/or your group, share ideas with you, and learn from you as you do the same with all of us.  This builds the Roman community and brings us all together. Come explore what we have to offer you!

We are different from other groups in the Roman community.  We offer something for you and/or your Roman or Roman-related group, no matter what your interests are:

(1) We are nearing the end of the developmental stage of Academie Minervalis, where one can take online classes and participate in projects involved in all aspects of ancient Rome.  We are currently looking for instructors to voluntarily participate in teaching and leading classes, and we offer a published peer-review professional journal service, and will be offering free classes soon! Latinists, Scholars and Historians are very much welcome!

(2) We offer opportunities for members to participate in and/or learn about Classical Religion practices, learn Latin and Greek, and instruct others in the Cultus Deorum Romanum, or Religio Romana.

We are currently seeking qualified persons who wish to participate with us in priest/priestess positions (Sacerdotes) to perform the various public rites of the Roman religion on festival days and organized ludi events. We are also seeking qualified applicants for Pontifex positions, who will be responsible for assisting and coordinating the modern reconstruction and operation of the Roman religious system and assisting members with the sacra privata.

While we do offer opportunities to participate in an learn about classical religion, THERE ARE NO religious requirements for members.  We absolutely stand firm on the principle that whatever your religious beliefs are, they are firmly yours.  Religious intolerance is banned in our organization. You are free to believe what you believe with no exceptions.

(3) We are building a base of organizations to practice, research, study and educate others on the via Romana through the development of member-based and generated Collegia (colleges) and Sodalitates (interest groups/special project groups). Current Roman and Roman-related organizations may establish their own group within the RRCG, and they may actively work solely within the organization or use their collegium as a gateway to their own organization.  As we grow, it is our desire to expand these groups and have them serve as the lifeblood of the organization, providing a place for all Roman and Roman-related groups to collaborate together as they wish on various online and real world projects to preserve the ancient Roman culture and history, as well as a place to learn about and live the via Romana, should they choose!

(4) We offer opportunities for the various Roman reenacting groups and living history societies to come together, recruit new members, and teach others.  You can enroll your Legio or society at no charge, meet with others, and build/forge new relationships with others.  Enroll your group today!

(5) We have a small “governmental body” that serves as the organization’s administrative and operational core, who are elected from the membership.  We are not heavily steeped in Roman politics, nor do we have any interest in playing Roman politics!

(6) Our members vote in the traditional Roman committees, which we have modeled after the ancient system, but made allowances for the modern age. Our organization is Member-Driven, not Magistrate-Driven, as in many other organizations!

(7) You CAN be a member of our organization, as well as any other organizations you wish!  We accept and encourage diversity among our members and member groups!

(8) We offer a new internal Denarii monetary system, where you are rewarded for your efforts, may transfer/exchange Denarii with other individuals and groups, purchase goods and services, and this system may be used by groups as well!

We invite you to come and visit us.  Check out our online Forum, evaluate us, comment or join in the discussions if you choose, and…if you find us worthwhile…we invite you to join us.  Membership is free. Come see what 5-10 new members are experiencing by joining each day!  We are different, come and see.  We are not a competing organization with anyone, and that is by design!

If you have questions, please feel free to email me or any of the other directors at romanrepublic.org, which you can reach in the Forum on our website.

We have heavily invested in this project and are poised to become the world's largest and premier Roman reconstruction community platform, BUT, don't take our word or others' opinions or evaluations, come see for yourself!  You may even find some of your friends at the Roman Republic.  If you like us, tell your friends about us!

Optime valete,

Chip Hatcher
Founding Director

(aka, L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS)

Email: lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT net

L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS

Eastern Roman ~ Byzantium Novum
Praitor, Theme of Anatoliou Pelagous
Principal Chancellor, Theme of Anatoliou Pelagous
Chancellor, Provincia of Prasino Boura
Count of Prasino Boura I
Mayor of Volaterrae

Visit us at byzantiumnovum.org

Western Roman ~ Roman Republic
Founding Director

Visit us online at: romanrepublic.org

So this is how I got info and joined them. But I have no idea who are they.

Vale

Lateransis

L. Livia Plauta

Mar 9, 2016, 3:48:00 AM3/9/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com

L. Vitellius Triarius used to be in Nova Roma. He has the know-how to make complex websites that work. He disappeared some years ago due to his wife's untimely death, then he reappeared during the time when Sulla and Caesar were in power, but before the formal dictatorship, and proceeded to gather all the public domain information that was on the NR website and publish it for money as an ebook on Amazon under his own name, without ever asking permission from the people who had contributed that information, mainly Marcus Horatius Piscinus. He justified himself by the fact that the profit went to Nova Roma. The ebook is still there, but I don't know who the profits go to at this point.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/societas-via-romana.

P. Iunius Brutus

Mar 9, 2016, 10:00:22 AM3/9/16
to Societas Via Romana

Salvete,

I'm the founder of RomanRepublic.org, and the creator of the website. Those in SVR probably don't know me. So let me introduce myself.

I've been involved in Roman Restorationism since early 2001. At that time I was a member of NR. I served as Curule Aedile in 2002. My name at that time was Amulius Claudius Petrus. I was largely inactive in NR from 2002 until 2014; however, I was certainly watching the events which unfolded over these years. I just did not have the time to participate as I was busy finishing my undergraduate, then graduate studies... Upon returning to activity in 2014, I was dismayed at how things have evolved over the last decade. I remembered a time, very early in NR history, when optimism and ambitious plans took primacy. There was so much potential, but so little had be realized in over ten years. Good Romans had been hurt, treated without respect, many leaving NR and possibly the greater Roman Restorationist community. What a tragedy,

So I decided to found an academy in NR. I have an academic background and hold a graduate degree in education, so I thought this is where I could do some good. Try to bring a greater focus towards culture and learning. In 2014, I founded Academia Minervalis (academiaminervalis.org). I presented this to NR had received a hostile response has, NR was suspicious of my intentions, and I didn't get permission from the Senate... Frustrated by this situation, and by how far things had slid in NR, I decided to run for Praetor. I thought, maybe I could help make a difference. But then my candidacy was tossed out, and I was declared a non-citizen based on registration form dispute which was resolved in 2002... Forget that I paid NR tax and voted for years, apparently I was never a citizen. Convenient.

Things were more corrupt than I ever imagined and all of Roman Restorationism was being hurt by the actions/inaction of NR. I felt compelled to do something, but I didn't know what.

So I got together with a handful of other Romans who were interested in the Academia project. We talked and decided to see if we could build a better website for NR or a NR like group. I was a web developer during earlier days, it paid the bills for by studies. Through this process Triarius became involved, he has been very helpful. In the end, we developed an early version of the RomanRepublic.org. Yet we didn't have a plan for creating a new group at this point. In the summer of 2015, we proposed offering our web tools for free to NR if they decided to reform. We thought this could serve as a spark for positive change. The consul at the time agreed to hear a proposal, but then as the proposal was being prepared NR quickly rejected the offer and declared us a "competing organization," something that was bizarre considering we were not an organization, nor were we competing. But very well...

This left our group with a website, and ideas. We discussed things further for a few months. The lawsuit started in NR. We decided that NR could not be reformed (probably something obvious to many here, I guess we were slow to realize this) and that the whole modern Roman community was being harmed the actions of this single organization. No single active group reflected our views. We believed in an inclusive community dedicated towards Roman culture, the Cultus Deorum, and building a national cultural community. So we decided after 15 months since our first meeting to become an organization. On March 1st, we launched publically.

We are not a protest group. We are happy if our citizens want to hold any position in any organization. 1/3 of our founding directors were never in NR or any Roman group. We are not focused on political roleplaying. We have a Roman republican style governance but only for administrative purposes and for cultural expression. Politics will take a backseat to cultural activity and community building. We will be actively providing incentives for real word action and cultural works through an internal economy based on activity. We hope to become a hub for other groups. We encourage our citizens to form collegium (independent sub-organizations) within the Roman Republic. We are also reforming an independent Collegium Pontificum.We welcome anyone that wants to advance our Declaration (http://www.romanrepublic.org/wip/declaration.html). We are inclusive and made up of a mosaic of interests, just as ancient Rome was a patchwork of peoples. But we are all Roman.

We are currently growing at a rate of 5-10 citizens/day. We have an active forum (http://www.RomanRepublic.org/forum). We just signed the bylaws of our corporation. We are now developing the operating procedures to allow for Roman assemblies and for elections. Elections should occur over the next few weeks. We have our first ludi planned for the end of the month; real ancient Roman coins are the prizes. We are soon accepting applications for the Collegium Pontificum. Needless to say, things are very busy and exciting.

I welcome anyone who is interested to join us! You can become a citizen here: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/citizen/registration. I think you will certainly find something of interest.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer!

Valete,

P. Iunius Brutus

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/societas-via-romana.

Appius Iunius Laterensis

Mar 9, 2016, 10:13:01 AM3/9/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve P. Iunius Brutus

Thank you very much for explanation and introduction. I appreciate it very much!
I already become citizen of Your organisation two day ago. Thank you. I joined NR last year but I was not active. I do not like to fight and make politics. I deeply hope that the things will not go like in NR and that SVR and Your organisation will be able to cooperate.

Vale

Ap. Iunius Laterensis

Appius Iunius Laterensis

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 9, 2016, 6:14:41 PM3/9/16
to Societas Via Romana
Oh!  Triarius is involved.  He was a vital force back in the days of what I refer to as the "reconciliation."   I think it was he who founded RomanSpace over at the Ning social network site.

That was a fun site - at least to begin with.  We had a virtual Rome of antique times, and could take up 'apartments' and 'domus' (ie, personal webspots) on this-or-that street on this or that Hill.  I had some fun trying to put my Roman flat together, and remember exchanging notes with one of our French Romans about the composer Couperin.

I wonder how Triarius is fitting into the current NR world....

L. Livia Plauta

Mar 9, 2016, 6:56:14 PM3/9/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if he wasn't the same Triarius who published other people's work for profit under his own name, I would be glad he's involved. He is competent for sure at making websites. As things are now, I think he has ruined his reputation among a lot of cultores, and his association with this Roman Republic taints it.

V. Claudius Iohannes (alio nomine JKN)

Mar 9, 2016, 7:06:51 PM3/9/16
to Societas Via Romana
Here's a piece that Ericius had given me before and I failed to include in my revision:

Back in 1998 was the very first NR 'coup' -- July 4, 1998, when Iulianus Cassius and Vedius Germanicus (with whatever others) overthrew the structures of the still-nascent government, which they had set up when beginning the group on March 1, 1998.  Germanicus played dictator, appointed a senate, and had them vote on their new club rules.  That was quick: only four months after NR had been founded.

P. Iunius Brutus

Mar 10, 2016, 3:02:03 AM3/10/16
to Societas Via Romana
Ave,

I can't comment on the Triari book issue. Maybe a mistake was made, I don't know, nor do I really care. I wasn't there and I will excercise good faith and prudence in assessing this past event. But I've communicated with Triari over the last 15 months and to me he has consistently shown himself to be an intelligent, reliable and very hardworking man. He is committed to our greater Roman community.

This said, it's unfortunate that any single individual in an organization which has grown to almost 70 people in 9 days causes you to pass such judgement on the entire project. Maybe I misunderstood you? It appears that you have been critical of the RR since I first spoke with you about it in Feb when I was soliciting feedback on the idea. You first mentioned past failures with NR as your primary concern. We addressed many of these specific concerns in our Declaration. Thank you for the feedback. But then once we posted the Declaration publicly, you claim we have stolen RPR's name. This was somewhat inflammatory and not an opinion shared by RPR and certainly not our intention either. Our two groups are on friendly terms and I hope it always remains this way. Now you are here at SVR linking a past grievance with Triari, to the entire organization. Please try to understand my perspective, that is all somewhat disconcerting.

I'm starting to feel like no matter what we do, you will find fault. I enjoy your points of view on many topics and respect the role you play in this wider community. I hope that with time we can enjoy a more neutral or positive endorsement. We have been and continue to be open to feedback. Be that from yourself or others. I do think that the RR offers a fresh and positive path forward for many who desire to incorporate Romanitas into their lives. Is it the only way? Of course not. But it is a way that has been not fully realized in many years. The significant resources behind this project also provide much hope for a positive and lasting community. I hope with time you may warm to this notion, or at least see the good intentions and smile at that.

Cura, ut valeas

Brutus

Brutus

L. Livia Plauta

Mar 10, 2016, 2:08:37 PM3/10/16
to societas-...@googlegroups.com
Salve Brute,
Triarius' actions were no mistake. The material published on the Nova Roma website was public domain, and the people who published there unfortunately agreed that their work would be the property of Nova Roma. So from one point of view it was legal for him to publish all that in an ebook, but from a moral point of view it was very wrong for Nova Roma to retain and for Triarius to appropriate material which was mostly written by Piscinus, who was expelled and condemned to damnatio memoriae.
But because the material also continued to be public domain, that, is available for free on the NR website, Triarius infringed Amazon's terms of service, which state that you can't sell for money material that's available for free. This was reported to Amazon, which pulled the ebook from their site. Then Triarius published it again on Amazon, and at this point nobody can say it wasn't intentional or that he wasn't aware of the infringement. I had lost interest at this point, and I'm not going to pay to download it, so I don't know if and to what extent Triarius changed the contents of his ebook, but I have strong suspicions that it's still a work of plagiarism, so usually I try to warn people not to buy it.
I have nothing personally against you, but nowadays I do have a strong bias against any organization that wants to deal with "romanitas" as something separate from Roman religion, and which is open to monotheists, because I see no need for such an organization. I'm also vaccinated forever against any organization that wants to mimic the structure of the Roman state, but that luckily seems not to be your case. Then I'm against the proliferation of competing organizations in the same field, because they just divide human resources which are scarce enough to start with. I understand that it's impossible now to cooperate with Nova Roma, but what in the world was preventing you from joining RPR, instead of creating a new organization? What sense does it make to have yet a new "Roman" organization incorporated in Canada? Well, except that there are one or two sane people in Canada, apparently, but so there are in Europe.
Optime vale,
Livia

raze...@comcast.net

Mar 10, 2016, 5:02:54 PM3/10/16
to SVR
Salvete.

I am assuming this is a subject which we are allowed to continue discussing.
I have the misfortune of having bought Triarius' ripoff calendar in book form.  There was nothing on the Amazon site at that time saying it was connected with NR, though I raised an eyebrow on seeing a Roman name for the author.  When I saw NR on the book I was upset that I'd given that lot any money.  There were differences in the book from the Piscinian calendar.  Ones that seemed unfounded or leaps of assumption.  I do not use it, I don't know where it is.  Wretched thing.
I was added to the RR FB list without asking.  I kept with it for a few days and then unsubbed.  There were probably some posts that were about Rome and Roman culture, et al. but what I recall was a string of organizational posts about the structure and government and such of the new group.  To me that is a waste of electrons and my time.  I do not understand why a small group of people feel compelled to indulge in grandiose bureaucracy building.  If a small group of people can not work together in a common avocation, why do they think having a constitution and the whole blasted govermentish edifice will help them?  The wording of the announcements could have been made by the NR founders in 1998.  Feeling that way, I unsubbed.
RPR seems to have a fairly modest structure.  Modest enough that I only am aware of it working with groups of people meeting in person.  But RPR has never interested me.  It just hasn't.
I think it is a good thing for there to be many groups interested in Rome and Romanitas.  It is erroneous to think that one group could be a reasonable option for all who might be interested in Romanitas.  It is certainly wrong to think that one organization can be comfortable for everybody.

Valete bene.
C. Aelius Ericius.

Mar 13, 2016, 5:14:51 PM3/13/16
to SVR