Book Announcement

Corinne

Jul 29, 2022, 4:09:17 PM7/29/22
to Social Media Research

Hello Social Media Research Group!

I am writing to announce my new book, “Interactive Media and Society.” My hope in writing this book was that it would be useful for any faculty teaching classes about topics and issues related to online communication, the internet, social media, and the current state of the media ecosystem, as well as for scholars and practitioners looking for an accessible overview of the scholarship on these topics to date. A hard copy and eBook version are currently available, and a paperback version will be released in 2023.

For information about the book, please visit:
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781793633002/Interactive-Media-and-Society

Overview:

In this book, Corinne M. Dalelio analyzes how the rise of interactive media over the last few decades has had enormous impacts on every aspect of American society—the ways in which we organize, produce, consume, engage, entertain, and inform. Yet the vestiges of the one-way, broadcast model of the media industries continue to be primary, prominent, and persuasive in our culture, Dalelio argues. This book offers clarity and insight into the current media landscape by first outlining what it is that makes interactive media distinct from that which came before, and then identifying the harmonies and tensions between media systems—new and old—as they operate in various communicative contexts still in flux. These contexts include art, journalism, activism, marketing, and even the public sphere. Dalelio encourages readers to hone their critical digital literacy skills by supplying them with analytical concepts and theoretical principles that can be applied, regardless of how these tools change or evolve, ultimately enabling more thoughtful and meaningful interactive media usage and consumption. Elucidated throughout with interesting and relevant narrative examples, this book offers an engaging and straightforward presentation of the current scholarly understanding of these tools, along with practical tips for navigating the challenges of our complex media ecosystem.

“Dalelio reminds us of the key importance of interactivity as a defining characteristic of media that span generations and span the globe. She convincingly suggests that the human-computer relationship is a co-authored one, with the latter increasingly responsive to the input of the former. Interactive media can be found in familiar and unfamiliar places, from mobile phones and videogame consoles to eyeglasses and kitchen countertops. This volume introduces us to a shared understanding of interactivity. Through a combination of narrative and social sciences, readers are invited to both celebrate and question how our technologies impact the form and function of our interactions with each other.” — Nick Bowman, Texas Tech University

Please contact me if you are interested in adopting this text or have any other questions about the book: cdal...@coastal.edu. Thank you.