Fwd: Amazon Web Services Newsletter - May 2012

Austin Gibbons

May 17, 2012, 6:16:48 AM5/17/12
to social...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amazon Web Services <no-rep...@amazon.com>
Date: Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Subject: Amazon Web Services Newsletter - May 2012
To: "austinb...@gmail.com" <austinb...@gmail.com>

Having trouble viewing this message? Read the newsletter on our website
AWS Newsletter - May 2012

Dear AWS Community,

Get ready! We just announced our first AWS user conference, AWS re: Invent, to be held at the Venetian in Las Vegas, Nevada from November 27-29. This will be an opportunity for new and experienced users to find tools, content and connections that will help you better leverage the AWS Cloud. This last month we also announced a new online store, AWS Marketplace where you can find, buy and deploy software that runs on AWS. On top of that, Elastic Beanstalk and Amazon DynamoDB both expanded to new regions, and to help you better monitor your AWS bill, we launched Billing Alerts for Amazon CloudWatch. For all of those Windows developers out there, we've released a couple of new managed services, Amazon RDS for SQL Server and .NET support for Elastic Beanstalk.

Read this newsletter on our website

  • Special Event
    • AWS re: Invent
  • News & Announcements
    • Announcing AWS Marketplace
    • Amazon RDS for SQL Server
    • Amazon RDS for Oracle
    • AWS Elastic Beanstalk now available in EU (Ireland) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo)
    • .NET Support for AWS Elastic Beanstalk
    • Monitor your AWS charges using billing alerts
    • Dynamic content now supported by Amazon CloudFront
    • Amazon DynamoDB releases a batch write feature and expands to three additional regions
    • Announcing support for cc2.8xlarge instances in Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
    • AWS launches in Korean
    • New and Updated Microsoft SQL Server Offerings on Amazon EC2
    • Announcing API and AWS Identity & Access Management support for AWS Storage Gateway
    • Now send from your entire domain with Amazon SES
    • Amazon Route 53 annual survey - your feedback helps make our product better
    • A new blog from Amazon SES
    • Featured customer story: Sogeti
  • Developer Resources
  • AWS Partner Network News
  • Events
  • Online Events

Special Event

AWS re: Invent

We are excited to announce our first global customer and partner conference, AWS re: Invent. This three-day conference is the largest gathering of the AWS community and will be held on November 27-29 in Las Vegas, Nevada. This is an ideal opportunity for you and your team to learn how to get the most out of the AWS Cloud. The event will include keynote announcements, 100+ sessions and technical workshops, a developer hackathon, block party, and more. Sign up to be notified when registration opens and join us on Facebook.

News & Announcements

Check out the latest news items and announcements from AWS.

Announcing AWS Marketplace
AWS Marketplace is an online store where you can find, buy, and quickly deploy software that runs on the AWS Cloud. You can find software from well-known vendors including CA, Canonical, IBM, Microsoft, SUSE, Red Hat, and SAP, as well as many widely used open source offerings, including Wordpress, MongoDB, and MediaWiki. It includes pay-as-you-go products, free software (AWS infrastructure fees still apply), and hosted software. You can use AWS Marketplace's 1-Click deployment to quickly launch pre-configured server images or deploy with familiar tools such as the AWS Console. Visit the AWS Marketplace to start shopping or learn more about how to sell your software on AWS Marketplace. Follow @awsmarketplace on Twitter.

Amazon RDS for SQL Server
We announced the availability of Amazon RDS for SQL Server earlier this month. Amazon RDS removes the complexity of deploying and managing databases, making it easy to set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. With this launch, Amazon RDS brings these benefits to all SQL Server customers. Amazon RDS currently supports Express, Web, Standard and Enterprise Editions of SQL Server 2008 R2. If you are new to Amazon RDS, you can get started with Amazon RDS for SQL Server with the Free Usage Tier.

Amazon RDS for Oracle
Amazon RDS for Oracle announced the availability of Multi-AZ deployments. Multi-AZ is a high availability deployment that synchronously replicates updates made to a primary DB instance to a standby instance located in a separate Availability Zone (AZ). Many Amazon RDS MySQL customers already use the Multi-AZ option for their production deployments and we are excited to make this feature available to Amazon RDS for Oracle customers.

AWS Elastic Beanstalk now available in EU (Ireland) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo)
We are excited to announce that AWS Elastic Beanstalk is now available in the EU (Ireland) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo) regions. Developers can now leverage the service in the US East (North Virginia) region, the Asia Pacific (Tokyo) region, and the EU (Ireland) region.

Elastic Beanstalk currently supports Java applications running on the familiar Apache Tomcat stack, .NET applications running on IIS 7.5, and PHP applications running on the Apache HTTP Server stack. Elastic Beanstalk allows you to deploy and manage your applications using a set of tools, including the AWS Management Console, Git deployment and the command line interface, the AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio, and the AWS Toolkit for Eclipse. With Elastic Beanstalk, you retain full control over the AWS resources powering your application, such as Amazon EC2 instances, Elastic Load Balancing, and Auto Scaling.

There is no additional charge for Elastic Beanstalk - you pay only for the AWS resources needed to store and run your applications. To get started, visit the AWS Elastic Beanstalk Developer Guide.

.NET Support for AWS Elastic Beanstalk
AWS Elastic Beanstalk now supports .NET applications running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and IIS 7.5. Elastic Beanstalk makes it easy to deploy and manage your Java, PHP and as of now, .NET applications in the AWS cloud.

You can easily launch a .NET application using the AWS Management Console or the AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio. The AWS Toolkit for Visual Studio allows you to easily deploy your web projects to AWS Elastic Beanstalk. Using incremental deployments, you can deploy changes to your application in seconds, making developing, debugging, and testing faster. Because Elastic Beanstalk leverages the familiar IIS 7.5 software stack, existing applications can be deployed with minimal changes to the underlying code. To get started using Elastic Beanstalk, visit the AWS Elastic Beanstalk Developer Guide.

Monitor your AWS charges using billing alerts
You can now receive billing alerts that help you monitor the charges on your AWS bill. Billing alerts notify you automatically via e-mail when estimated charges reach a threshold that you choose. To get started, visit your Account Activity page to enable monitoring for your AWS charges and set your first alert.

Dynamic content now supported by Amazon CloudFront
Amazon CloudFront now supports delivery of dynamic content, giving you a simple, cost-effective way to improve the performance, reliability and global reach of your dynamic websites. Amazon CloudFront works seamlessly with dynamic applications running in Amazon EC2 or outside of AWS without any custom coding or proprietary configurations, making the service simple to deploy and manage.

There are no additional costs beyond Amazon CloudFront's existing low prices for data transfer and requests, and no long-term commitments. You can get started with just a few clicks in the AWS Management Console. Learn more about Amazon CloudFront's support for dynamic content on the AWS blog or by visiting the Amazon CloudFront page.

Amazon DynamoDB releases a batch write feature and expands to three additional regions
Amazon DynamoDB now offers a batch write feature called BatchWriteItem. This feature, built in response to frequent customer requests, lets you quickly load or delete large amounts of data into DynamoDB, with fewer round-trips between the client and the service.

Amazon DynamoDB also launched in three additional regions: US West (Oregon), US West (Northern California), and Asia Pacific (Singapore). The service was already available in the US East (Northern Virginia), EU (Ireland), and Asia Pacific (Tokyo) regions. To learn more about Amazon DynamoDB, please visit the Amazon DynamoDB page.

Announcing support for cc2.8xlarge instances in Amazon Virtual Private Cloud
Cluster Compute Eight Extra Large (cc2.8xlarge) instances provide customers with on-demand supercomputing class performance by providing them access to the latest Intel Xeon processors and high bandwidth, low latency networking. Customers can now run cc2.8xlarge instances within a VPC, providing even more options for customers using Amazon EC2 for high performance computing and other network intensive workloads. At this time cc2.8xlarge instances can only be launched into a VPC in a single Availability Zone in the US-East (N. Virginia) region. We will add support for additional Availability Zones and regions in the coming months. We also anticipate adding VPC support for Cluster GPU instances within the next quarter. For more information please visit the Amazon EC2 instance types page.

AWS launches in Korean
We recently launched Korean language support for the AWS marketing website. The top marketing content, navigation and other key components are now available to Korean users in their own language; other components will be rolled out in Korean in the coming weeks. This brings AWS to six languages: Korean, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish. Check the Korean site out by going to AWS and selecting "한국어" from the language list, it looks pretty cool even if you don't speak Korean.

New and Updated Microsoft SQL Server Offerings on Amazon EC2
Amazon EC2 now supports several new instance sizes and Microsoft SQL Server versions that will expand your options and lower the cost of running many of your SQL server database workloads. We now offer the ability to run SQL Server on our Standard Small and Medium instance types, lowering the minimum size of a SQL Server database instance on EC2. We also added support for SQL Server Web edition, which provides customers with internet-facing workloads similar functionality to SQL Standard at a significantly lower cost. Finally, we are excited to announce support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 on Amazon EC2 at no additional cost over existing Microsoft SQL Server offerings. Customers now have immediate access to Amazon published AMIs for Express, Web, and Standard editions of SQL Server 2012. For more details, please visit the Windows on EC2 page.

Announcing API and AWS Identity & Access Management support for AWS Storage Gateway
We are delighted to announce two new features for AWS Storage Gateway. First, you can now configure your AWS Storage Gateway resources programmatically through an API. You can use this API to automate your backup and disaster recovery workflows. You can develop scripts ahead of time so that, when necessary, you can quickly and seamlessly shift your operations to Amazon EC2. This API can be used directly or by using the AWS SDKs for .NET, PHP, and Java. Learn more by visiting the AWS SDK page, or referring to the AWS Storage Gateway User Guide.

Second, we're announcing AWS Storage Gateway support for AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM). With IAM, you can easily control which users in your organization have access to your AWS Storage Gateway resources. You can create multiple users within your AWS account and specify which AWS Storage Gateway actions a user or a group of users can perform on specific gateways. Learn more by visiting the IAM page, or referring to the AWS Storage Gateway User Guide. Please also be sure to sign up for our Cloud Storage for the Enterprise event, where we'll be giving away credits for a free 120 day AWS Storage Gateway trial.

Now send from your entire domain with Amazon SES
Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) now supports domain verification. Instead of needing to verify each email address you want to send from, now you can simply verify your entire domain and send from any email address on it. This feature is also integrated with Amazon Route 53 so that you can verify any domain you manage with Amazon Route 53 with a few clicks of your mouse. To make Amazon SES even easier to use, we have also expanded the number of verified email addresses and domains that you can have in your account from 100 to 1,000. For more information, please refer to the Amazon SES Developer Guide.

Amazon Route 53 annual survey - your feedback helps make our product better
Please take a moment to help us improve our product by taking the 2012 Amazon Route 53 Survey. We welcome your input on how we're doing and what we could be doing better. This survey is open to all AWS customers and we'd really appreciate your feedback. Please take our survey here.

A new blog from Amazon SES
The Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) official blog is now live. You'll hear from many of our team members, including developers, product managers, marketers, and the like. We're all looking forward to interacting with you via the blog comments, our Twitter account, or our customer forums. If you'd like to see a certain type of post, please let us know.

Featured customer story: Sogeti
Sogeti utilizes Amazon Web Services (AWS) to provide cloud-based infrastructure for its DR plan, in conjunction with the Oracle Data Guard data replication mechanism. After clients choose one of the DR plan options, Sogeti establishes an Amazon EC2 instance within the AWS US East (Northern Virginia) region. Amazon EBS volumes are mounted to the Amazon EC2 instances for extra storage as needed. The company establishes safe and reliable communication between the DR infrastructure and the primary database by leveraging AWS security capabilities. Read the full case study here.

Developer Resources

Check out these developer resources to help you build and grow on AWS.

AWS Toolkit for Microsoft Visual Studio
The AWS Toolkit for Microsoft Visual Studio now includes support for Amazon RDS and AWS Elastic Beanstalk. You can easily deploy your existing ASP.NET application to AWS Elastic Beanstalk all from the comfort of Visual Studio.

The AWS SDKs now support Amazon Cloud Search and AWS Storage Gateway
We have added support for both Amazon Cloud Search and AWS Storage Gateway to the Java, .NET and PHP SDKs.

AWS Partner Network News

Check out the latest announcements from the AWS Partner Network.

Symantec™ NetBackup and Symantec™ Enterprise Vault now support Amazon S3
As many businesses increasingly leverage the cloud for applications and services, they want to protect and manage those environments with security, backup and storage management solutions that they trust. By taking the same proven solutions that organizations have come to rely on and extending them to Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3, Symantec is delivering on its commitment to provide value in the cloud. To learn more about NetBackup and Enterprise Vault S3 connectors, and other Symantec solutions for Amazon S3, contact your Symantec representative or visit the Symantec site.

aiCache dynamic web acceleration testing is now available for free on Amazon EC2
You may test aiCache dynamic caching and traffic management on Amazon EC2, without interrupting ongoing operations, simply by entering the address of your site at aiCache Test.

We provide integrated third party tools allowing you to test your site with and without aiCache from four global locations.

Use our online configurator to create a configuration, optimized specifically to your site. Easily push the configuration directly to aiCache servers running under Devpay or the new AWS Marketplace. We provide 2 free hours of support should you need it.

Optimize your AWS costs with CloudVertical, a cloud analytics and reporting tool
CloudVertical, a new AWS solution provider, has launched their application that helps you monitor and analyze your AWS costs. As soon as you sign up you'll see cost for the month-to-date with percentage changes on the previous month, your resource usage summary, and a graph that maps usage and cost together to highlight opportunities to optimize your resources. Set alerts on unusual activity so you don't run up unexpected costs, get a daily digest of activity, a weekly summary, and a detailed monthly breakdown of your costs and usage. You can also tag resources and monitor per customer, department, and application. Take control of your AWS costs. Sign up for a free trial today.

Slalom joins AWS APN to help customers realize full potential
Founded in 2001 and based in Seattle, Washington, Slalom Consulting has rapidly grown to more than 1,500 consultants across 11 markets. The company has earned recognition as "One of the Top 10 Consulting Firms" by Consulting Magazine. They help organizations plan and implement cloud-based solutions that leverage infrastructure, platform, and software as a service offerings. Their clients leverage AWS to reduce management costs, increase productivity, and take advantage of new economics. Slalom's award winning practices, including Mobility and BI, offer solutions from strategy and assessment, through initial engagements and full implementations. Contact us by email to learn how we can help you realize opportunities on AWS.

Online Events

Learn more about AWS by attending an upcoming webinar or online event.

The AWS Report
The second episode of The AWS Report is now available. In this episode, AWS Evangelist Jeff Barr talks to Saad Ladki, Product Manager for AWS Elastic Beanstalk. Saad and Jeff discuss the product and the ways in which our customers have put it to use.

Digital Media in the AWS Cloud
May 22, 9am PDT
With the advent of digital media, 3D, HD, animated video, and an expanding array of internet devices, media and entertainment companies are finding it more difficult to maximize the monetization of both their new and back catalog content. Join us for a webinar, Digital Media in the AWS Cloud on May 22 at 9am PDT, to learn how AWS and partner solutions solve these problems. Specifically, how to transfer large media files quickly, scale your storage, speed up your processing and analytics jobs, and deliver your content at scale.

Head to the Cloud with Sage SalesLogix and Amazon Web Services
[US & Canada] May 22, 10am PDT
Attend this live web event to learn from AWS and SalesLogix solution experts about the benefits of moving your IT and CRM strategy to the cloud. The presenters will discuss the benefits of cloud computing and how SalesLogix cloud solutions can hep you extend your CRM capabilities to the cloud.

Consolidating Web Apps on the AWS Cloud
May 31, 9am PDT / 12pm EDT
AWS and CSS Corp would like to invite you to attend this live webinar where you will learn more about a turnkey solution that can help you quickly migrate and consolidate up to thousands of web properties on the AWS Cloud. You will also learn how a global enterprise from the retail & consumer products industries leveraged CSS' solution to consolidate thousands of web, mobile, social, e-commerce, and content management applications on the AWS cloud lowering costs, improving uptime, and enabling rapid scalability.

Using Domain Verification with Amazon Simple Email Service
June 12, 10am PDT / 5pm GMT
Join us to learn about the new Amazon Simple Email Service (Amazon SES) feature - domain verification. You'll learn how to verify your domains, use the simple Amazon Route 53 integration, and remove verified domains. The Amazon SES team will also be taking audience questions.

Events

Americas

AWS Cloud Storage for the Enterprise - NYC
June 6, New York, NY

Migrating Applications & Infrastructure to the AWS Cloud
June 6, Santa Clara, CA

AWS User Group - Seattle
June 14, Seattle, WA

Build Big Data Apps with Amazon Elastic MapReduce & Amazon DynamoDB
June 4-6, Herdon, VA
June 25-27, Seattle, WA

Asia Pacific

AWS Summit
May 17, Sydney, Australia

Red Dot Ruby Conference
May 18-19, Singapore, Singapore

New Zealand Game Developers Association Conference
May 19, Auckland, New Zealand

Casual Connect 2012
May 22-24, Singapore, Singapore

9th Annual Seoul Developer Forum
May 22-24, Seoul, Korea

3rd Cloud Computing Executive Round Table
May 24, Singapore, Singapore

1st Regional Cloud Computing Conference
May 28-29, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Agile Australia
May 30-31, Sydney, Australia

Europe

Introduction to AWS | Cambridge
May 30, Cambridge, United Kingdom

AWS Summit - Berlin
June 20, Berlin, Germany

We hope you enjoyed receiving this message. If you don't want to receive future editions of this newsletter or product announcements, please update your communication preferences.

Amazon Web Services LLC is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc. This message produced and distributed by Amazon Web Services, LLC, 410 Terry Ave. North, Seattle, WA 98109-5210.