R. L. Northridge on "The Convention of Cost" published in the Douglas Quarterly, "The Fig Tree", No. 9, June, 1938

Wallace Klinck

May 30, 2013, 4:32:46 AM5/30/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
I believe that this file is small enough to be transmitted via this list.
Wally Klinck

The Fig Tree No 9 June 1938.pdf

Jim Schroeder

May 30, 2013, 2:03:22 PM5/30/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
Wally,

I think that Douglas's insights into real costs is as least a significant discovery in the realm of economics as his A+B theorem.

Unfortunately, it's often overlooked or misunderstood by some of his followers, and that is why the price rebate mechanism is often ignored.

--

---

Jim Schroeder

Wallace Klinck

Jun 1, 2013, 5:55:23 AM6/1/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
Precisely, Jim--and I think that Douglas makes this clear beyond peradventure in his essay "The New and the Old Economics" where he replies to criticisms by Professors Copland (Melbourne) and Robbins (London), saying that neither gave any consideration whatsoever to his observations about the actual nature of real cost--which observation underlies the structure of his entire economic analysis.  That is indeed why so many people overlook his concept of a "Just Price" as this relates to the "Compensated Price"--which they often prefer not to discuss in any case because they tend to regard it as an unnecessary distraction, if not on outright nuisance.  For these reasons they would prefer to restrict their criticisms to the "A + B Theorem" which they think is more susceptible to criticism because of its more abstract appearance.  From Douglas's analysis of real, as opposed to financial cost, emerges the truly revolutionary concept that society should only pay for its consumption and not for it production.  A failure to understand this truism, I think, accounts for the belief of many critics and even some professed Social Credit advocates that Douglas over-estimated the actual inherent deficiency of effective consumer buying power.  He refers to this matter in one of his major works and emphasizes, as I recall, the very considerable magnitude of this deficiency.

New and Old Economics C.H. Douglas.pdf

Steve Hummel BenFranklinWasRight

Jun 1, 2013, 2:42:43 PM6/1/13
to socialcredit
The ability to perceive legitimate differences is the hallmark of
rationality.