"Rate of flow".

John G Rawson

May 15, 2013, 6:50:04 PM5/15/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
John Parr, I have waited so long to see if you got a reply to your question that I have lost the original message, so this will have to be a bit general.

I believe it was a serious and genuine one which merited a response, so I will attempt to  do so.

As an Engineer, Douglas used calculus, which he brought into his Social Credit writings at times.  For example, he used differential calculus to show that banks create money.

His A+B analysis indicates that, over any fixed period, the amount of money purchasing power available to consumers always tends to be less than the total prices of the goods and services produced. With his training, it was perfectly natural for him to integrate such static information into flows.  It is, of course, obvious that, if the amount of one is less at any stage, its total flow will be less.  It is also obvious that production and consumption are continuing flows, not one-off events. So he was perfectly correct in doing so.

The term used is often "rate of flow", which can be confusing if it is unrerpreted as as velocity (or speed) of flow. Obviously this is not implied by the A+B statement and equally obviously the two flows are tightly associated at the same speed by the purchasing actions that link them.  So "rate" in this case must be taken as the quantity of the flow, not its velocity.

I hope this helps rather than further confusing you!

John R.

Wallace Klinck

May 17, 2013, 12:50:11 AM5/17/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
I believe that a short time ago John (Parr) asked for an example of business accountancy demonstrating Douglas's findings regarding the manner in which income and cost flows are generated in a typical industry.  Sorry for having been remiss in answering your enquiry but I am now providing here an example of an analysis of industrial accountancy, in this case from Gorham Munson's book "Aladdin's Lamp:  The Wealth of the American People".  The A + B Theorem refers to relative volumes of income and cost flows within a given period of time--the first typically being increasingly less, relatively speaking, than the latter.

The following account (see attached PDF file) is from an article titled "A + B As She Works", written by Arthur Brenton, Editor of he "New Age"  (January 21, 1935, pp. 354-5)  Munson suggests that the statistics presented in this article, shared with Mr. Brenton by an accountant acquaintance, should induce the reflective reader to make a long pause tho consider the trends of industrial costing.  The data cover a list of representative enterprises:

Munson Aladdin's Lamp Ch7 Workshop.pdf

Wallace Klinck

May 21, 2013, 2:41:19 AM5/21/13
to social...@googlegroups.com
Hello John (Parr),

AbeBooks as of this moment has one copy of Gorham Munson's book "Aladdin's Lamp:  The Wealth of the American People" advertised as being in five-star condition for $22.00 plus shipping costs--which I would consider a tremendous bargain.  I have seen it advertised for much more.  Amazon apparently has a couple as well.  I am sure there are other sources as well and it should be relatively easy to obtain on library loan.  I will forward separately some excerpts for study purposes on a "Fair Use" basis.  Douglas and Munson had some differences, primarily regarding causative factors in history and politics and in strategy, but their agreement in basic philosophy regarding the individual and in technical matters was generally in close accord.

Sincerely
Wally Klinck

On 2013-05-19, at 7:08 PM, johnw...@gmail.com wrote:

That indeed gave me pause.

The other material in the sample of the book provided was fascinating to read as well.  Do you possess a complete digitzed copy of Aladdin's Lamp?  I would be interested in reading it if you do.

--

---