How old is the data returned by the social graph API

Spraycode

Aug 27, 2008, 1:42:08 AM8/27/08
to Social Graph API
Hi, I am working on a project where we are hitting the social graph
api to pull back the relationships a user has through their twitter
account. One thing we have noticed is that the data that is returned
in the social graph seems to be quite old. For example, if you look
at a twitter account like http://twitter.com/ceonyc it says 244 people
followed and 1118 followers. The social graph api only returns 135
people followed and 759 followers though for that username though.

Any idea how often the social graph is indexed or how to get info that
is a little closer to current?

Thank you.

Jon Pierce

Sep 19, 2008, 6:31:15 PM9/19/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about this as well. My expectation was that the data
would be updated as part of the normal crawling and indexing process,
but this seems to not be the case. Where does the API stand at this
point?

Thanks,
Jon

--
Jon Pierce | j...@jonpierce.com | 617.501.2001
http://jonpierce.com | http://betahouse.org

Brad Fitzpatrick

Sep 23, 2008, 5:37:37 AM9/23/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sorry, this has been bugging me too.  The indexing was stopped for a bit while some things were changed around, but it's resumed now so data in the SGAPI should be fresher now (and continuing to get fresher).

- Brad

Brad Fitzpatrick

Sep 23, 2008, 5:39:15 AM9/23/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and to be clear:  I meant the SGAPI's indexing process, which is in addition to the normal search crawling/indexing process.  Uses the same corpus, but different data structures, etc.

Jon Pierce

Sep 29, 2008, 3:13:39 PM9/29/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com

Brett C.

Nov 15, 2008, 4:17:58 PM11/15/08
to Social Graph API

On Sep 23, 1:37 am, "Brad Fitzpatrick" <bradf...@google.com> wrote:
> Yeah, sorry, this has been bugging me too.  The indexing was stopped for a
> bit while some things were changed around, but it's resumed now so data in
> the SGAPI should be fresher now (and continuing to get fresher).

What is the refresh rate at this point? From my corner of the graph
it's looking like the data in the SGAPI is I believe a month or more
old (I can say with total confidence that it is at least 3 weeks old).

Most obvious example is that my home page (http://www.drbrett.ca/)
which I explicitly added ``rel="me"`` links to in order to get the
page to be my main node in the graph still does not list any outgoing
links (http://socialgraph-resources.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/
findyours.html?q=www.drbrett.ca). I also deleted my Ma.gnolia account
(and thus the link) from my FriendFeed account (http://friendfeed.com/
brettsky) but it is still showing up in the graph (http://socialgraph-
resources.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/samples/findyours.html?
q=friendfeed.com%2Fbrettsky).

Hopefully I am not reading the data wrong and causing more trouble
than I should be. =) I do love the SGAPI idea (to the extent that I
want to do a App Engine app to help people fix their connectivity in
the graph) so I hope the refresh rate is continuing to ramp up so that
it can be more along the lines of being a week old or fresher.

-Brett

Brad Fitzpatrick

Nov 15, 2008, 4:22:20 PM11/15/08
to social-g...@googlegroups.com
The main thing I'm working on right now is the smart crawl scheduler for it, so it's a lot more fresh.  But it had been updating regularly from the main search index until maybe a week ago when I paused it while I did some other changes.

I'll post a bigger update later this week.

What's your connectivity app, btw?

- Brad

Brett C.

Nov 15, 2008, 4:52:53 PM11/15/08
to Social Graph API
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 13:22, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad...@google.com>
wrote:
> The main thing I'm working on right now is the smart crawl scheduler for it,
> so it's a lot more fresh. But it had been updating regularly from the main
> search index until maybe a week ago when I paused it while I did some other
> changes.
>
> I'll post a bigger update later this week.

Great!

> What's your connectivity app, btw?

Well, it seems like there is no way for anyone, regardless of what
online services they use, to simply just list what pages represent
them and their contacts. So I want to provide a web app where
people just paste in the various pages that represent themselves and
their friends and just put in the proper 'rel' attributes. Basically
give people a way to create a heavily connected node in the SGAPI that
helps fill in connections.

-Brett