Fall SDTIC meeting on SDT and Democracy, Human Rights, Civic Attitudes and Politics

Zina Besirevic PhD.

Sep 19, 2022, 11:51:48 AMSep 19
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com

Greetings SDT folks!

At Wendy Rote’s invitation to organize a Fall SDTIC meeting on SDT and Democracy, Human Rights, Civic Attitudes and Politics, Franklin and I are preparing a symposium that will explore the fun times of conducting Human Rights centered research in challenging global contexts. Given that both of us work in such contexts (Franklin across Central America, myself in the Balkans, Eurasia, Central Asia and South Africa) we have gathered interesting perspectives that we thought are important to share and raise awareness around. Moreover, as we both work with, and between government(s), academia and the nonprofit world, we thought that a discussion about the pitfalls of research-to-practice efforts in the context of Human Rights work would be a fascinating one. Our plan is to moderate a panel with a few other colleagues whose work we know, like, and believe fits with the theme. Being as our lenses are global, we would like to spark up a larger conversation about regionally-impacted challenges, differences, issues and tensions when it comes to working in different Democracy and Human Rights spaces. All that, while trying to work within the SDT framework. And juggling six spinning plates with one hand. Join us to share thoughts, experiences and ideas around SDT as a global force for good.

More details on what we plan to stir up, conversation-wise, will follow once we get your input on preferred dates/times. To that end, please fill out this doodle poll. It has 2h times slots starting on 10/27 until 11/12, from 7am to 6pm (PST).

Best,

Franklin and Zina

Zina Besirevic, MA, MPhil, Ph.D.

Director of Research
San Francisco Human Rights Commission
                 ~
Principal Investigator
Opportunities for All, San Francisco Mayor's Office
                ~
Affiliate Scholar
Leo T. McCarthy Center,
University of San Francisco