Request for interview training materials

Marc Jambon

May 8, 2023, 2:11:52 PM5/8/23
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com

Hi all—I have a request for the SDT hive mind: does anyone have (and would be willing to share) any materials you may use in your lab to train research assistants to conduct interviews with children roughly ~3-10 years of age?  Bonus points if you have actual video/audio recordings and/or transcripts of interviews done with kids of different ages to assess moral judgments and reasoning that could be used for training purposes. I’ve found over the years that having RAs practice on each other just doesn’t work; there’s no way to mimic the rich (and often completely unexpected) responses get from preschoolers and school-aged samples. And unfortunately I don’t have a school house full of children for them to practice on. In the past I’ve created some protocols for training students to assess emotion attributions and reasoning, but those are quite a bit different from evaluations of actions. I’m going to be training a new group of RAs for an upcoming interview study and it would be great to not have to start over from scratch.

I’d greatly appreciate any materials people might be able to provide, including training manuals, probing exercises, detailed coding schemes with extensive lists of examples, or transcripts of interviews about hypothetical transgressions (moral, conventional, or otherwise). I’m also happy to share what I’ve put together in the past with anyone who is interested.

If anyone has anything that might be relevant and you are willing and able to share, shoot me a message (mja...@wlu.ca) and I’ll forever sing your praises to anyone who will listen.

Thanks all!
Marc

Marc Jambon, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor (Developmental Psychology)

Department of Psychology

Wilfrid Laurier University

Office: N2026, Science Building (2nd floor)