SDTIC meeting on 10/28: Democracy, human rights, civic attitudes and politics

Tal Waltzer

Oct 13, 2022, 12:15:53 PM10/13/22
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com, Zina Besirevic PhD., Franklin Moreno

Hello everyone,

Hope your week is going well. We have a more detailed summary of our upcoming Fall 2022 SDTIC meeting, which I will share below.

Meeting time: Friday, October 28, 12pm - 2pm Pacific / 3pm - 5pm Eastern / 8pm - 10pm GMT+1

Meeting location: Zoom, https://ucsd.zoom.us/j/99022110079

Organizers: Zina Besirevic (zina.be...@gmail.com) and Franklin Moreno (frankli...@psychology.rutgers.edu)

The Fall SDTIC meeting (10/27/22 @12-2 PST), Democracy, Human Rights, Civic Attitudes and Politics, will explore the fun times of conducting Human Rights centered research in challenging global contexts. We hope to inspire a broad discussion through sharing experiences of work in such contexts (including the U.S., Central America, the Balkans, Eurasia, Central Asia, South Africa and beyond). It is important, for those of us who have gathered interesting global perspectives through our work, to share those insights and raise awareness around the challenges. It is equally important for those who have questions, doubts, ideas, curiosities… to share too, as questions after all, are the substance of our work as researchers. Moreover, spaces in which we all work are often wedged in between government(s), academia and the nonprofit world, whether we intended that or not, and a broad discussion about the pitfalls of translating research into practice, especially in the context of Human Rights work, would serve us all, very well.

The fluid and highly flexible plan for the symposium then, is a moderated panel with Zina, Franklin, and a few colleagues whose work fits with the theme. Being as our lenses here are global, we would like to spark up a larger conversation about regionally-impacted challenges, differences, issues and tensions when it comes to working in different Democracy and Human Rights spaces. All that while working within the “SDT as a global force for good” framework!

Outline for the meeting:

  • Part I: An overview of the key discussion points for the symposium (Zina and Franklin)

  • Part II: Regional and global and deeper dive (Panel - discussants TBD)

  • Part III: Developmental research and global challenges (Panel discussion and presentations)

  • Part IV: Open forum discussion for all participants (Break out Rooms)

Hope to see many of you there!

Tal, on behalf of the communications committee

--
Dr. Talia Waltzer
Postdoctoral Scholar

Tal Waltzer

Oct 27, 2022, 2:53:27 PM10/27/22
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com, Zina Besirevic PhD., Franklin Moreno

Hello everyone,

This is a friendly reminder for tomorrow's SDTIC meeting on democracy, human rights, civic attitudes, and politics.

Meeting time: Friday, October 28, 12pm - 2pm Pacific / 3pm - 5pm Eastern / 8pm - 10pm GMT+1

Meeting location: Zoom, https://ucsd.zoom.us/j/99022110079

Organizers: Zina Besirevic (zina.be...@gmail.com) and Franklin Moreno (frankli...@psychology.rutgers.edu)

Information is also on the website: https://www.socialdomaintheory.com/meetings

We hope to see many of you there! Looking forward to it,

Tal

Dr. Talia Waltzer
Postdoctoral Scholar
Department of Psychology
University of California, San Diego
https://www.twaltzer.com/

Tal Waltzer

Oct 28, 2022, 2:59:49 PM10/28/22
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com, Zina Besirevic PhD., Franklin Moreno

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder that today's SDTIC meeting is happening NOW!

Zoom link: https://ucsd.zoom.us/j/99022110079

Summary of the event below, and also on the website (https://www.socialdomaintheory.com/meetings):

The Fall SDTIC meeting (10/28/22 @12-2 PST), Democracy, Human Rights, Civic Attitudes and Politics, will explore the fun times of conducting Human Rights centered research in challenging global contexts. We hope to inspire a broad discussion through sharing experiences of work in such contexts (including the U.S., Central America, the Balkans, Eurasia, Central Asia, South Africa and beyond). It is important, for those of us who have gathered interesting global perspectives through our work, to share those insights and raise awareness around the challenges. It is equally important for those who have questions, doubts, ideas, curiosities… to share too, as questions after all, are the substance of our work as researchers. Moreover, spaces in which we all work are often wedged in between government(s), academia and the nonprofit world, whether we intended that or not, and a broad discussion about the pitfalls of translating research into practice, especially in the context of Human Rights work, would serve us all, very well.

The fluid and highly flexible plan for the symposium then, is a moderated panel with Zina, Franklin, and a few colleagues whose work fits with the theme. Being as our lenses here are global, we would like to spark up a larger conversation about regionally-impacted challenges, differences, issues and tensions when it comes to working in different Democracy and Human Rights spaces. All that while working within the “SDT as a global force for good” framework!

Outline for the meeting:

  • Part I: An overview of the key discussion points for the symposium (Zina and Franklin)

  • Part II: Regional and global and deeper dive (Panel - discussants TBD)

  • Part III: Developmental research and global challenges (Panel discussion and presentations)

  • Part IV: Open forum discussion for all participants (Break out Rooms)

Looking forward to seeing you,

Tal

Dr. Talia Waltzer
Postdoctoral Scholar
Department of Psychology
University of California, San Diego
https://www.twaltzer.com/

Clare Conry-Murray

Oct 28, 2022, 2:59:55 PM10/28/22
to Tal Waltzer, social-dom...@googlegroups.com, Zina Besirevic PhD., Franklin Moreno
Link for meeting again on Zoom: https://ucsd.zoom.us/j/99022110079

--
To learn more about the Social Domain Theory listserv and group, visit https://www.socialdomaintheory.com/
To post an announcement to the listserv, send an email to: social-dom...@googlegroups.com

Clare Conry-Murray, Ph.D.
she/her/hers
Associate Professor of Psychology
Saint Joseph's University
226 Post Hall
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131-1395
Phone: 610-660-1803
Fax: 610-660-1819
ccon...@sju.edu

Justin Martin

Oct 28, 2022, 3:17:21 PM10/28/22
to Clare Conry-Murray, Tal Waltzer, social-dom...@googlegroups.com, Zina Besirevic PhD., Franklin Moreno
Thank you, and I would love to attend! But unfortunately I have grading and a meeting. Will any of the sessions be recorded?