Reminder: EDI meeting starts in 1 hour

1 view

Laura Pareja Conto

May 27, 2022, 10:10:32 AM5/27/22
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that the SDTIC meeting on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion will take place today in one hour from 11:00 - 13:30 EST (8:00-10:30 am PST). Please also note below the slight change in our schedule to provide some space to debrief after the SRCD town hall.

Zoom link to join:  https://concordia-ca.zoom.us/j/83562942098?pwd=Yzg1SFc5Wjc1L0VsUW92SE1XcDMyZz09

Meeting ID: 835 6294 2098

Passcode: 209519

11:00 - 12:00 (EST): panel discussion

Moderator: Franklin Moreno

Panelists: Allegra Midgette, Jean Klasovsky Sack, Emily Herry, and Adam Rutland.

12:00 - 12:10 (EST): zoom break

Have a snack, chat with a colleague, drink some water, & please add yourself to our community directory

12:10 - 13:00 (EST): breakout room sessions

Please join one of the following very interesting room discussions:

  1. Clare Conry-Murray and Robyn Ilten-Gee will facilitate a discussion to review the current Inclusive and Equity Guidelines for the SDTIC community.

  2. Allegra Midgette will facilitate a discussion on equity considerations for scholarship production (e.g., knowledge production, how to frame and present research findings).

  3. Jean Klasovsky Sack: “Disrupting inequitable treatment in the school context.” Many schools seeking to eliminate academic and discipline inequities adopt strategies intended to shift climate and culture, including restorative justice, trauma-informed practices, and transformative social emotional learning. In this breakout, we will discuss how social domain theory can 1) inform best practices for implementation of these and other EDI-related strategies, and 2) be used as a research framework to better understand how these strategies function in school contexts.

  4. Emily Herry: "Positionality, Empowerment, & Practice: How to be inclusive and supportive of diverse students and research participants." In this breakout group, we will discuss our position as researchers and how our own identities inform our research, as well as how we can be more inclusive to our diverse students and participants through research and academic practices.

  5. Adam Rutland will facilitate a discussion on the social exclusion of immigrants (in a European context) and how children respond as bystanders to such exclusion.

13:00 - 13:30 (EST): collective debrief after SRCD town hall

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Warm regards,

Laura Pareja Conto (on behalf of the organizers: Alicia Barreiro, Franklin Moreno, & Robyn Ilten-Gee)

Laura Pareja Conto
Pronouns: she/her/hers
M.A. Student in Child Studies
Concordia University
Relationships Across Development Laboratory
http://rad-lab.ca/