Florida and the Gender Affirmative Model

Larry Nucci

Apr 21, 2022, 4:44:45 PM4/21/22
to social-dom...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone -

As you know, the state of Florida has outlawed any classroom approaches in grades Kindergarten through third grade that employ what is referred to as the "gender affirmative" model for addressing issues of gender and sexual identity.

Some of you may be wondering what the "gender affirmative" model is, or how to address it in any of your courses.  In 2013 the journal Human Development published an op ed piece by scholars at leading pediatric centers in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Chicago and Boston introducing the "gender affirmative" model and their shared public position in support of this approach.  The citation is:

Hidalgo, M., Ehrensaft, D., Tishelman, A. , Clark, L., Garafalo, R., Rosenthal, S., Spack, N., & Olson, J. (2013). The gender affirmative model: What We know and what we aim to learn. Human Development, 56:285–290.

It is a short read that you may find useful in these bizarre times.

Best regards,

Larry

--
Larry Nucci, Ph.D.
Berkeley School of Education

Wendy Rote

Apr 21, 2022, 4:55:11 PM4/21/22
to Larry Nucci, social-dom...@googlegroups.com
I apologize on behalf of the state of Florida 🙁

Wendy Rote, Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Department of Psychology

University of South Florida