Freezing API versions?

1 view

Zach Berke @ Exygy

Jan 15, 2010, 3:58:52 PM1/15/10
to Social Actions Developers
Peter and Jason,

Thanks again for about getting some of the changes we've asked for
over the last couple of months into the API so fast!

One thing that recently started worrying me is the possibility of the
API changing and those changes breaking apps that depend on it. Some
of the changes Jason has made lately to the live API have resulted in
slightly modified data structures in the api responses. I'm concerned
that if in the future data structures change on the API then our
widgets (and other folks' SocEntAPI powered apps) could break. We're
about to launch a few apps out "into the wild" and I wanted to see if
we could brainstorm a way to address this concern before that.

My suggestion (totally open to feedback / being shot down!) would be
to "freeze" versions of the API.

Currently, we access the API at:
http://search.socialentrepreneurapi.org/entrepreneurs.json

I'm suggesting that we could freeze the current code base (as-is now
or soon-ish) at
http://search.socialentrepreneurapi.org/v1/entrepreneurs.json

And in the future, release a newer version at
http://search.socialentrepreneurapi.org/v2/entrepreneurs.json

I may be overlooking something important with regards to API project
management -- if what I'm suggesting would be a maintenance nightmare
let me know so we can brainstorm alternatives!

Thanks,
-Zach

Peter Deitz

Jan 20, 2010, 12:13:02 PM1/20/10
to social-ac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zach,

Thanks for your suggestions on the code freeze systems, and requests for
additional sort possibilities.

For the time being, the SEAPI code is essentially 'frozen'. We currently
don't have funding to provide additional modifications. Once development
resumes, I'd suggest that we implement your code freeze suggestion and
then address the sort possibilities.

Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for the resumption of development. It
truly depends on funding for the Social Entrepreneur API.

All the best,
Peter

Social Actions
http://socialactions.com