Woman Sues SF Police after 'Shocking' Use of Her Rape Kit DNA

已查看 16 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Leroy N. Soetoro

未读,
2022年9月16日 20:10:132022/9/16
收件人
https://sfstandard.com/criminal-justice/woman-sues-sf-police-after-
shocking-use-of-her-rape-kit-dna/

A woman whose rape kit was used by San Francisco police to build a
burglary case against her is suing the city for what her attorneys call an
egregious civil rights violation.

The suit filed in federal court Monday under the alias “Jane Doe” says
that SFPD, from at least 2015 until this year, ran DNA samples from sexual
assault victims through a database that checked for matches from genetic
material collected from a wide array of crime scenes.

Doe and her attorneys—Adante Pointer and colleagues from law firm Pointer
& Buelna LLP—are demanding a jury trial in the U.S. Northern District of
California for a practice they say violated her constitutional rights as
well as those of an untold number of other sexual assault victims.

Meanwhile, it remains unclear if the police department completed a
promised audit to review the scope of the practice.

“This case brings to light the San Francisco Police Department’s shocking
practice of placing crime victims’ DNA into a permanent database without
the victims’ knowledge or consent,” the lawsuit states. “There are
reportedly thousands of people who are being subjected to this arbitrary,
unlawful unconstitutional invasion of privacy.”

The lawsuit filed this week echoes many of the details Doe shared earlier
this year when announcing plans to mount a legal challenge. It describes
how she reported her rape to SFPD in November 2016 and submitted
biological evidence collected by nurses and doctors as part of her sexual
assault kit.

Nearly five years later, that DNA was used against her.

In December 2021, SFPD matched DNA collected in a burglary investigation
with the biological samples from her rape kit and obtained a warrant for
her arrest.

A month later, she said she called police to intervene in a domestic
dispute she was having with her boyfriend. When officers showed up, she
said they arrested her and let her boyfriend go.

“I was confused,” Doe, a mother in her 20s, told The Standard on condition
of anonymity.

The burglary charges were eventually dropped after former District
Attorney Chesa Boudin exposed what happened earlier this year. The woman
was about to be arraigned when her attorney, Deputy Public Defender Will
Helvestine, told her how police had used the rape kit to arrest her.

“I said, ‘Huh, can you tell me that again?’” she recounted. “I couldn’t
believe it. Did he say what he really told me?”

She said she had no idea SFPD would keep her DNA and use it for other
purposes—let alone to criminalize her.

“They might as well have put a leash around my neck and walked me like a
dog,” she said, “because I’m getting treated like one.”

Doe said being arrested after summoning police for help during a domestic
disturbance retraumatized her—not only by prompting flashbacks to her
sexual assualt but also to the death of her mother after suffering
domestic violence.

“It’s just reliving trauma,” Doe said. “I was hurt again there. I just
felt betrayed.”

Whatever the outcome of her federal case, Doe said she would like a
personal apology for what she went through.

“I feel like someone needs to have taken action,” she said. “We’re all
people, right?”

Ongoing Fallout
Since the public revelation that DNA was being used to prosecute victims,
SFPD vowed to end the practice. The department also began a review to
determine how long it should preserve genetic evidence.

The status of that proposed policy change and the inquiry into whether any
other DNA matches led to arrests have yet to be made public.

SFPD, which as a policy does not comment on ongoing lawsuits, did not
respond to questions about the audit or the new DNA retention timetable.

About a month after Doe went public with her story, however, the San
Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a measure to address the issue by
baring police from storing crime scene DNA, including rape kits, in city
databases for more than 60 days.

This is hardly the first time SPFD has found itself in hot water over the
way it handles rape cases.

For years, the department failed to test rape kit DNA in a timely manner,
which ostensibly meant potential perpetrators walked free. In 2017, SFPD
announced it had finally cleared its decades-old backlog, though it’s
unclear if that resulted in any prosecutions of rapists or exonerations of
falsely accused suspects.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.

Ed Debevic

未读,
2022年9月16日 23:28:262022/9/16
收件人
A priest, an imam and a rabbi make a wager on who can stay in a sty
with a 300lb. pig the longest

The clergyman is the first to go in. After no more than 15 minutes he
comes out spluttering and throwing up.

Next it's the turn of the imam. He overcomes his aversion to pigs and
goes into the sty. Minutes pass and it looks like he will do better
than the clergyman, but after no more than half an hour, he comes out
looking green and experiencing projectile diarrhoea.

Now it's the turn of the jew 'rabbi'. The other two sit down and
watch. Time passes slowly and after 30 minutes they acknowledge that
the rabbi has won the bet.

They wait and wait...after one hour, the pig comes out.

JD Young

未读,
2022年9月20日 11:53:412022/9/20
收件人
What do wine and altar boys have in common?
Catholic priests like them aged eight years!

J Young
jdyo...@ymail.com
Follow me on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/jon.young.10420