Churchill Park & Folk festivals trump George Streer w.r.t. female artists

David Dalton

Jun 7, 2023, 12:28:29 AM6/7/23
George Street Festival has taken a lot of flak over the years,
and this year is no exception, for not having female headliners.
That festival runs July 27 to August 2.
https://georgestreetlive.ca/george-street-festival-2023/

But Churchill Park Music Festival, on Friday August 18,
is presenting Alanis Morisette, Metric, and Meg Myers,
and it is sold out already, though there is a wait list.
(I know Emily Haines of Metric from my time running the
music at the UBC grad centre, so maybe she could get me
in, but otherwise I am out of luck.)
https://churchillparkmusicfestival.com/

Also The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival is
presenting headliners Amelia Curran, Kellie Loder,
and Iris Dement. (That festival is now the second
Fri+weekend in July instead of the Fri+weekend after the
first Wednesday in August as I still say on my home page,
which is in need of edits.)
https://nlfolk.com/festival/info/

Those two are also doing better w.r.t. female headliners
than the iceberg Alley concert series, from June 14--23.
https://icebergalleyconcerts.com/

Maybe Sarah McLachlan can come to one of the
four festivals next year, I guess stripped down
if it is the folk festival.

"Sunrise in the morning/Birds singing on every tree/A greeting and a warning
The song that they're singing is `Be free!' " (Rawlins Cross -- Wild Rose)

David Dalton

Jun 7, 2023, 8:56:33 PM6/7/23
On Jun 7, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2A303EE900...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> George Street Festival has taken a lot of flak over the years,
> and this year is no exception, for not having female headliners.
> That festival runs July 27 to August 2.
> https://georgestreetlive.ca/george-street-festival-2023/
>
> But Churchill Park Music Festival, on Friday August 18,
> is presenting Alanis Morisette, Metric, and Meg Myers,
> and it is sold out already, though there is a wait list.
> (I know Emily Haines of Metric from my time running the
> music at the UBC grad centre, so maybe she could get me
> in, but otherwise I am out of luck.)
> https://churchillparkmusicfestival.com/
>
> Also The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival is
> presenting headliners Amelia Curran, Kellie Loder,
> and Iris Dement. (That festival is now the second
> Fri+weekend in July instead of the Fri+weekend after the
> first Wednesday in August as I still say on my home page,
> which is in need of edits.)
> https://nlfolk.com/festival/info/
>
> Those two are also doing better w.r.t. female headliners
> than the iceberg Alley concert series, from June 14--23.
> https://icebergalleyconcerts.com/
>
> Maybe Sarah McLachlan can come to one of the
> four festivals next year, I guess stripped down
> if it is the folk festival.

Then of course there is the Lawnya Vawnya festival, on
right now:

https://lawnyavawnya.com/

and the Sound Symposium, in even-numbered years:

https://soundsymposium.com/ .

David Dalton

Aug 16, 2023, 10:23:12 PM8/16/23
On Jun 7, 2023, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.2A303EE900...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> But Churchill Park Music Festival, on Friday August 18,
> is presenting Alanis Morisette, Metric, and Meg Myers,
> and it is sold out already, though there is a wait list.
> (I know Emily Haines of Metric from my time running the
> music at the UBC grad centre, so maybe she could get me
> in, but otherwise I am out of luck.)
> https://churchillparkmusicfestival.com/

A second show was added for August 19 with Alanis Morisette,
Feist, Meg Myers, and Kellie Loder. If that also sells out it
means that Alanis Morisette will have pulled in 30,000 fans
from an area with a population of about 200,000.

"This could be the final breath; This is life and death;
This is hard rock and water; Out here between wind and flame;
Between tears and elation; Lies a secret nation" (Ron Hynes)