Re: Del Martin (May 5, 1921 - August 27, 2008)

Message has been deleted

K. E. Dennis

Aug 29, 2008, 8:46:38 PM8/29/08
On 8/28/2008 12:58 PM, Michelle Steiner wrote:

[snips]

> COMMUNITY MOURNS THE LOSS OF BELOVED CIVIL RIGHTS LEADER DEL MARTIN, 87
>
> (San Francisco, California, August 27, 2008) - Today, the lesbian, gay,
> bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community lost an iconic leader and a
> beloved friend. Del Martin, 87, passed away in San Francisco with
> Phyllis Lyon, her lifelong partner and spouse, by her side. Martin was
> one of the nation's first and most visible lesbian rights activists who
> dedicated her life to combating homophobia, sexism, violence, and
> racism. Martin's many contributions to the LGBT movement will resonate
> for decades to come.

[extensive snips]

> Gifts in lieu of flowers can be made to honor Del's life and commitment
> and to defeat the California marriage ban through NCLR's No On 8 PAC at
> www.nclrights.org/NoOn8.
>
> A public memorial and tribute celebrating the life of Del Martin will be
> planned in the next several weeks.
>
> Molly Tafoya | Communications and Media Assistant
> National Center for Lesbian Rights | www.nclrights.org
> 870 Market Street, Suite 370, San Francisco, CA 94102
> 415.392.6257 x305 (w) | 415.828.9640 (m)

I'm truly saddened to learn of the death of the magnificent Del Martin.

I'll never forget the impact she and her beloved Phyllis had on my life,
as they did on those of countless women, Queer and straight.

From the day I first picked up and began to read Lesbian/Woman - just
shy of 18, standing in the aisle of a NY bookstore, fearful & exultant
at the same time, as I realized why this all suddenly made so much sense
- Del Martin has been an exemplar for me of moral courage & political
activism.

I've always been astounded to think that she & Phyllis were out & proud
literally my entire life - I was born the year they helped found the
Daughters of Bilitis (if you don't know the history of this group, I can
recommend Marcia Gallo's account, below)- & that they continued to be
pioneers & leaders into a well-deserved old age.

I can't look at the pictures from Del and Phyllis's wedding
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/16/MNDB118S9N.DTL)
without tears of joy, a personal sense of loss, & a deep sympathy not
only for Phyllis & their daughter & grandchildren - but also for all the
young women today & in time to come who may never really know how much
they owe her.

Marcia M. Gallo
Different Daughters: A history of the Daughters of Bilitis and the Birth
of the Lesbian Rights Movement
Carroll & Graf, 2006

respectfully submitted,

--

--
Soc.women.lesbian-and-bi is a moderated newsgroup. The moderation policy
and FAQ are available at <http://welcome.to/swlab/>. Questions and