Miss Manners

Serene

Oct 22, 2007, 3:53:46 PM10/22/07
I've been a Miss Manners fan for years and have never actually read
her books, just her columns. I am having a blast reading her _Guide
to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_. In a few pages, she handily
dismisses anti-gay prejudice, the romanticization of "the good old
days" when women and queers were socially acceptable objects of
ridicule, and the notion that etiquette is irrelevant to modern
life. She's my hero, big time.

ObSwlab: I would so totally do her.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H. L.
Mencken

--
Soc.women.lesbian-and-bi is a moderated newsgroup. The moderation policy
and FAQ are available at <http://welcome.to/swlab/>. Questions and

Stephanie Moore-Fuller

Oct 23, 2007, 12:46:21 AM10/23/07
On 2007-10-22, Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:
> I've been a Miss Manners fan for years and have never actually read
> her books, just her columns. I am having a blast reading her _Guide
> to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_. In a few pages, she handily
> dismisses anti-gay prejudice, the romanticization of "the good old
> days" when women and queers were socially acceptable objects of
> ridicule, and the notion that etiquette is irrelevant to modern
> life. She's my hero, big time.
>
> ObSwlab: I would so totally do her.

I adore Miss Manners!

Two of my favorites among her most succinct answers:

Dear Miss Manners,

What am I supposed to say when introduced to a homosexual "couple"?

Gentle Reader,

"How do you do?" "How do you do?"

Dear Miss Manners,

What is the proper way to walk in high heeled shoes?

Gentle Reader,

Left, right, left, right.

She and one of the tutors at my alma mater, St. John's College, were the
only two women in a set of people who were awarded a National Humanities
Award a few years ago. (I can't remember the actual name of it, and
wasn't able to find the picture of them all posing in the White House,
all the men in very dark suits and only Judith Martin and Eva Braun
wearing any color.)

stephanie

--
Stephanie Moore-Fuller smoo...@blackrose.org Mountain View, CA, USA
"... one of the biggest aspects of it is accepting that if someone gives

Gwendolyn Alden Dean

Oct 25, 2007, 12:24:34 PM10/25/07
Serene wrote:
> I've been a Miss Manners fan for years and have never actually read
> her books, just her columns. I am having a blast reading her _Guide
> to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_. In a few pages, she handily
> dismisses anti-gay prejudice, the romanticization of "the good old
> days" when women and queers were socially acceptable objects of
> ridicule, and the notion that etiquette is irrelevant to modern
> life. She's my hero, big time.
>
> ObSwlab: I would so totally do her.

I <heart> Miss Manners. I am particularly fond of Miss Manners' Guide to
Rearing Perfect Children.

Gwendolyn

Ann Burlingham

Oct 31, 2007, 12:04:20 PM10/31/07
Gwendolyn Alden Dean <gd...@cornell.edu> writes:
> Serene wrote:
> > I've been a Miss Manners fan for years and have never actually read
> > her books, just her columns. I am having a blast reading her _Guide
> > to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_. In a few pages, she handily
> > dismisses anti-gay prejudice, the romanticization of "the good old
> > days" when women and queers were socially acceptable objects of
> > ridicule, and the notion that etiquette is irrelevant to modern
> > life. She's my hero, big time.
> >
> > ObSwlab: I would so totally do her.
>
> I <heart> Miss Manners. I am particularly fond of Miss Manners' Guide to
> Rearing Perfect Children.

I have multiple copies of _Common Courtesy: in which Miss Manners
solves the problem that baffled Mr. jefferson_.

Stephanie Moore-Fuller

Nov 1, 2007, 12:53:25 PM11/1/07
On 2007-10-31, Ann Burlingham <an...@panix.com> wrote:
> Gwendolyn Alden Dean <gd...@cornell.edu> writes:
>> Serene wrote:
>> > I've been a Miss Manners fan for years and have never actually read
>> > her books, just her columns. I am having a blast reading her _Guide
>> > to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior_. In a few pages, she handily
>> > dismisses anti-gay prejudice, the romanticization of "the good old
>> > days" when women and queers were socially acceptable objects of
>> > ridicule, and the notion that etiquette is irrelevant to modern
>> > life. She's my hero, big time.
>> >
>> > ObSwlab: I would so totally do her.
>>
>> I <heart> Miss Manners. I am particularly fond of Miss Manners' Guide to
>> Rearing Perfect Children.
>
> I have multiple copies of _Common Courtesy: in which Miss Manners
> solves the problem that baffled Mr. jefferson_.

So you can read multiple copies at once?!?!

Perhaps you could use bookmooch to spread the wealth (www.bookmooch.com --
check it out, it's super cool).

stephanie

--
Stephanie Moore-Fuller smoo...@blackrose.org Mountain View, CA, USA
"... one of the biggest aspects of it is accepting that if someone gives
you a compliment, then you must be worthy of that compliment ... Be ok with
*you* and you can accept it easier." -- Tobie

Serene

Nov 1, 2007, 1:31:36 PM11/1/07
Stephanie Moore-Fuller wrote:
> On 2007-10-31, Ann Burlingham <an...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Gwendolyn Alden Dean <gd...@cornell.edu> writes:

>>> I <heart> Miss Manners. I am particularly fond of Miss Manners' Guide to
>>> Rearing Perfect Children.
>> I have multiple copies of _Common Courtesy: in which Miss Manners
>> solves the problem that baffled Mr. jefferson_.
>
> So you can read multiple copies at once?!?!
>
> Perhaps you could use bookmooch to spread the wealth (www.bookmooch.com --
> check it out, it's super cool).

I like paperbackswap.com a lot more.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the
legislature is in session." -- Judge Gideon J. Tucker, 1866.