Need help - big computer chair

Lisa

Nov 21, 2006, 12:34:16 PM11/21/06
I need help finding a big computer chair Preferably under $500.00. I
currently have one but even in it's lowest position (the seat is about 18
1/2 - 19" off the floor), it's too tall for me (it's perfect for my husband
though). I do use it anyway with a foot rest.

The problem is now that I've purchased a wood floor mat (got tired of
buying the plastic ones), the chair really slides and when getting in & out
of chair I have to be real careful. Yesterday the chair slid out from
under me as I was going to sit and I ended up on the floor.

I'm about 5' 4" and I need something that's a little shorter. Looking
around the web it seems that most of them are around 19/20" at the
shortest.

I do have a 2nd computer chair in my office (it wasn't rated to handle
large people but I have had it for over 10 years now). The problem with
this one is that it no longer goes up and in it's lowest position it's
about 15" off the floor. Now I can deal with that, although I would like
it a little higher. The problem with that chair is that the arms are
permanently attached and don't move and they cut into my legs making it
uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

Anyone know of any web sites where I might be able to find something?
Lisa

AMB

Nov 22, 2006, 11:29:47 AM11/22/06
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:34:16 GMT, Lisa <nhl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I need help finding a big computer chair Preferably under $500.00. I
>currently have one but even in it's lowest position (the seat is about 18
>1/2 - 19" off the floor), it's too tall for me (it's perfect for my husband
>though). I do use it anyway with a foot rest.

I can't help with finding a new chair**, but I wondered if you could
replace the castors on the existing chair? I've never done this, but
I have heard that if you have plastic castors, you could replace them
with rubber castors, which have better traction.

** my husband has a couple of chairs that he likes (identical -- one
for his office, one for home). We bought them from Office Max several
years ago and I believe the brand was Hahn (Hohn?)

I can sit in them (at 5'4"), but I've never used them enough to say
whether they are really comfortable for me.

Happy hunting,

Anne

Mary-Anne G. Wolf

Nov 26, 2006, 11:18:40 AM11/26/06
So your requirements are:
Price under $500.
Height of the top of the seat lower than 18.5" from floor.
Possibly locking wheels or casters so it does not slide out
from under you.
Possibly ability to hold some number of pounds/kilos of weight.
Possibly seat width of some number of inches
or adjustable arms (better if you think you might gain or lose weight
or if water or clothing makes you vary in volume).

If I were looking for this, I would look for relatively local used
high quality office furniture warehouses using yellow pages sites like
superpages.com to find them, and not use up my money on shipping.

Choose a day that is not raining, go there, and try the fit, and bring
rope or bunjee cords to tie your vehicle closed if the chair does not
quite fit, and a yard or meter stick for quick measurements, and very
comfy shoes. The good places are BIG and not in great neighborhoods.
Possibly offer to cook/buy dinner for a friend with strong back if you
need one, or two, to load and unload, and bring them too. I find
males can do this more often.

Some warehouses will help you load, and you just need help unloading.
Phone the warehouse first and ask.

You could even look in craigslist.org or freecycle.org and concentrate
on expensive towns where people have more expensive chairs, which tend
to be stronger. If your weight breaks them eventually it does not
matter if the price is right, unless you are very fragile.

This is one market where the price difference between used and new is
big in my experience, and for $500 you won't get strong enough new.
You want the stuff sold to businesses where people are not spending
their own money. These things can cost thousands new, but companies
fold all the time.

Exactly where is best to look depends on where you are located.
These things are regional.

That's how I got what I'm sitting in, which is better than what I got
from office max before, which broke.

Mary-Anne
P.S. If you choose not to take this advice,
you might consider as sources

sit4less.com
overstock.com
ebay.com
froogle.com

I have not bought chairs from these.

In ebay, try using an advanced search
and look for sellers near you,
do NOT pay shipping from other countries,
even Canada to US can be expensive,
or at least check what it costs before you buy,
and when getting anything new, ask about warrentees.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

@--------------------

Lisa

Nov 27, 2006, 4:38:18 PM11/27/06

AMB wrote:
> I can't help with finding a new chair**, but I wondered if you could
> replace the castors on the existing chair? I've never done this, but
> I have heard that if you have plastic castors, you could replace them
> with rubber castors, which have better traction.
>
> ** my husband has a couple of chairs that he likes (identical -- one
> for his office, one for home). We bought them from Office Max several
> years ago and I believe the brand was Hahn (Hohn?)
>
> I can sit in them (at 5'4"), but I've never used them enough to say
> whether they are really comfortable for me.
>
> Happy hunting,
>
> Anne

I didn't know they made rubber castors. I wouldn't even know where to
look or what size to buy.

I'm sure I'll be "hunting" for a while.
Lisa

Mary-Anne G. Wolf

Nov 29, 2006, 8:39:28 PM11/29/06
Or maybe one of
http://www.dcgraves.com/series_12_esd.htm
http://www.bizchair.com/gg2701jhd-apx.html

By the way, doesn't this hanging chair look fun?
http://www.hanging-chair.com/aboutus.html

Mary-Anne
@--------------------

Sagittaria

Nov 30, 2006, 5:13:15 PM11/30/06
m...@TheWorld.com (Mary-Anne G. Wolf) wrote in news:eklcog$5cp$1
@pcls6.std.com:

> By the way, doesn't this hanging chair look fun?
> http://www.hanging-chair.com/aboutus.html

OMG. What would you hang it from? Looks fun, but looks like it would be
difficult to get in and out of.

--
---->Sagittaria<----
http://sagittaria.livejournal.com

Miss Manners cannot think of a more succinct definition of a lady than
'someone who wants to punch another person in the nose, but doesn't.'
- Judith Martin