advice on finding a portrait photographer

1 view

Ariel Leigh Melton

Mar 15, 2007, 10:03:49 AM3/15/07
I've been out of the Usenet loop for a long time. During that hiatus,
I've gotten a divorce, shed a lot of my inhibitions, found someone who
thinks like I do (frightening thought!) and have actually begun to
_enjoy_ having my picture taken, as it delights him so. For the first
time in years I can look at a simple snapshot and not cringe and close
my eyes.

So armed with my new-found courage, I'd like to have a professional
portrait made, and not one of those where you clasp your hands while
sitting on a flower cart sort. Maybe not a full-frontal nude, I'm not
sure if I'm ready for that yet, but along the lines of the luscious
photograph that Dawn French had made in her special a number of years
ago, lying on her stomach on a bed wearing only a smile.

Anyway, my dilemma is this: how do I find a photographer? I had a
TERRIBLE experience with a pro once, he actively humiliated me (he
began by showing me a picture of some very thin woman he had
photographed in the nude and said, "now THIS is a pretty woman"...
gee, thanks) and I NEVER want to go through that again, as back then I
was so meek I just went home and cried, but this time I might get
arrested for assault.

How does one find people who specialize in BBWs, or even *tolerate*
them? I'm afraid if I just call around and ask, they'll say "oh yeah
sure, I'll photograph anybody", just like that other awful guy did all
those years ago.

I've asked around and other than wedding photos or Olan Mills type
pictures, nobody I know has ever had a professional sitting.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? I'm going to be 45 next
month and this is going to be my present to myself and my sweetie to
celebrate. I really want it to go right this time but I just don't
know how to go about finding the right professional.

I'm in the Atlanta, GA USA area, if anybody has recommendations, but
I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance (say, surrounding states)
if need be.

Any help appreciated!

Leigh

--
Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich. - D. Duck

Mystic_rebel

Mar 19, 2007, 4:38:17 AM3/19/07
I think what you are looking for is a photographer specializing in
boudoir photography. I have never actually had one like that done but
I have seen photos like this and they were tastefully done. Women
photographers have especially gotten into this because their presence
tends to ease the women who are usually taking them for their lovers
or husbands. Some even advertise that they specialize in BBWs. Good
luck and let us know how the images come out!
- Mystic_rebel

On Mar 15, 7:03 am, Ariel Leigh Melton wrote:
<snipped>

Mary-Anne G. Wolf

Mar 19, 2007, 11:58:11 AM3/19/07
How to find a photographer who appreciates BBWs?
I would check trhe local NAAFA membership, if there is any.

Or, failing that, if you are considering a photographer, ask to see a
photo of a large woman they have taken, and judge if you like the
style. If the woman is unhappy, one would hope you can tell. If
their portfolio has no large women in it, you know not to go there.

Failing that, I wonder whether this
http://www.glamourmodels.com/photogs/Georgia.html
is actually reputable. I have no experience with them.

Mary-Anne