Fun thing for me this week

Serene

Jan 24, 2008, 12:52:33 PM1/24/08
[I'm copying this out of my livejournal.]

Over on OKCupid there was a thread on, of all topics, whether or not
to lie to one's children and tell them there's a Santa Claus. I
chimed in, and the userpic OKC chose to represent me was this photo:
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejournal/pic/00068d6r/g3

One of the posters decided that I was a hypocrite, because I clearly
was espousing honesty while lying -- that is to say, I clearly DO
hate my body, because I'm fat. I engaged her for a while until it
became clear she was trolling, or just someone unacceptably bigoted
to warrant my attention. Some of my friends there engaged her and
came to my defense.

And then the coolest thing happened. The bigot wrote a post titled
"Obese people shouldn't accept their bodies". Well, that's not the
cool thing. The cool thing has been the reactions.

One person posted a macro of some celebrities who've gotten fat,
captioned 'FAT PEOPLES IN UR INTARNETZ KILLIN UR BONERZ N TAKIN UP
UR SPACE and explaining why the bigot's position was not okay to her.

Then it got better. Hot fat women [edit: and men!] started posting
cheesecake photos of themselves.

One woman said it was "in the spirit of serenejournal", aww. One
made a macro of herself that said "KISS MY BIG FAT JIGGLY ASS". One
was dressed as a sexy Christmas present.

This charmed me no end.

Anyway, I subsequently wrote a post about healthism* (thanks, Stef,
for giving me language around that whole thing) that I hope becomes
part of the dialogue, but mostly, I'm just feeling really happy and
validated at the response my love of my body has engendered in these
folks.

Serene

*http://www.okcupid.com/journal?pid=13152261796908124126&tuid=11760369506485066469