Slight problem with a bdsm game ---- Cellmate: Male chastity gadget

a425couple

Oct 11, 2020, 9:44:23 AM10/11/20
Slight problem with a bdsm game ----

read the BBC story here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54436575

Cellmate: Male chastity gadget hack could lock users in

By Leo Kelion Technology desk editor
Published2 days ago

Cellmate
The Cellmate has been sold via several big-name online retailers as well
as niche stores
A security flaw in a hi-tech chastity belt for men made it possible for
hackers to remotely lock all the devices in use simultaneously.

The internet-linked sheath has no manual override, so owners might have
been faced with the prospect of having to use a grinder or bolt cutter
to free themselves from its metal clamp.

The sex toy's app has been fixed by its Chinese developer after a team
of UK security professionals flagged the bug.

They have also published a workaround.

This could be useful to anyone still using the old version of the app
who finds themselves locked in as a result of an attacker making use of
the revelation.

Any other attempt to cut through the device's plastic body poses a risk
of harm.

Cellmate circuit board
IMAGE COPYRIGHTPEN TEST PARTNERS
image captionThe workaround involves prising open the circuit board and
pressing batteries against two of the wires to trigger a motor
Pen Test Partners (PTP) - the Buckingham-based cyber-security firm
involved - has a reputation for bringing quirky discoveries to light,
including problems with other sex toys in the past.

It says the latest discovery indicates that the makers of "smart"
adult-themed products still have lessons to learn.

"The problem is that manufacturers of these other toys sometimes rush
their products to market," commented Alex Lomas, a researcher at the firm.

"Most times the problem is a disclosure of sensitive personal data, but
in this case, you can get physically locked in."

Lock and clamp
Qiui's Cellmate Chastity Cage is sold online for about $190 (£145) and
is marketed as a way for owners to give a partner control over access to
their body.

Pen Test Partners believe about 40,000 devices have been sold based on
the number of IDs that have been granted by its Guangdong-based creator.

The cage wirelessly connects to a smartphone via a Bluetooth signal,
which is used to trigger the device's lock-and-clamp mechanism.

But to achieve this, the software relies on sending commands to a
computer server used by the manufacturer.

The security researchers said they discovered a way to fool the server
into disclosing the registered name of each device owner, among other
personal details, as well as the co-ordinates of every location from
where the app had been used.

In addition, they said, they could reveal a unique code that had been
assigned to each device.

Cellmate user map
IMAGE COPYRIGHTPEN TEST PARTNERS
image captionA sample of the co-ordinates revealed by Cellmate's servers
showed the device has been used worldwide
These could be used to make the server ignore app requests to unlock any
of the identified chastity toys, they added, leaving wearers locked in.

Mr Lomas' team flagged the issue to Qiui in May, after which it updated
its app as well as the server-based application programming interface
(API) involved.

But it still left an earlier version of the API online, meaning those
who had not downloaded the latest version of the app theoretically
remained at risk.

Pen Test Partners sent follow-up emails urging this to be addressed and
involved the news site Techcrunch to help press for action.

Techcrunch said Qiui's chief executive subsequently told it he had tried
to tackle the issue but added: "When we fix it, it creates more problems."

Five months on from first getting in touch, the UK security team decided
to go public.

"Given the trivial nature of finding some of these issues and that Qiui
is working on another internal device, we felt compelled to publish," Mr
Lomas said.

Pen Test Partners acknowledged that in doing so, however, it made a
real-world attack more likely.

The BBC has asked Qiui to comment.

Techcrunch reported there was no evidence that the hack had been
exploited by anyone to cause harm.

But it noted that one online reviewer who appeared to have got locked in
due to an unrelated bug posted that he had been left with "a bad scar
that took nearly a month of recovery".

Related Topics
Cyber-security

Brian G

Oct 17, 2020, 6:30:21 AM10/17/20
Yes read this, though do not really understand how the device is supposed to
work while giving access to normal bodily functions. It is interesting also
to note that some years a ago an episode of CSI Cyber did highlight the use
of Sex toys not only to get info about people for blackmail purposes, but
as a vector to do other things. Of course it was stretched out so it had a
murder and a demented person who saw all the hacked into people as his
family and started trying to avenge the murder himself.

Brian

--

-----
Mildew...@blueyonder.co.uk is the alter ego of
"a425couple" <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Y Lee Coyote

Oct 17, 2020, 9:24:22 AM10/17/20
On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 06:43:37 -0700, a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com>
wrote in <rlv26...@news2.newsguy.com>:
The mind boggles at the thoughts of this being used as ransomwear.

"Leave $10000 in small bills under the third bench or you never have sex
again ..........

LOL

Y.

Valid return address is <YLeeCoyote (at) juno.com>
(Posting address is for the spammers)

See my stories at http://www.asstr.org/~YLeeCoyote/

Tim Merrigan

Oct 17, 2020, 1:45:58 PM10/17/20
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 09:24:13 -0400, Y Lee Coyote
<See.signa...@mail.com> wrote:

>The mind boggles at the thoughts of this being used as ransomwear.
>
>"Leave $10000 in small bills under the third bench or you never have sex
>again ..........
>
>LOL

(from assd)

More likely it would be "Transfer 100 bitcoin to this account
number...."

and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan

https://www.avg.com

Brian G.

Oct 18, 2020, 10:16:25 AM10/18/20
I think my main worry about the story was the injury and the scar. As far as
I know that is not the idea at all, so if the design has other bugs that
make it an issue, the company may be leaving itself open to being taken to
court under safety rules.
After all a few years ago self bondage timer locks were all the rage until
you found that if the battery died the device was impossible to unlock or
open.
Brian

--
Brian G's email account - mildew...@blueyonder.co.uk