Happy Thanksgiving!

Plague Boy

Nov 27, 2014, 3:53:49 PM11/27/14
Well, being grateful isn't really a big part of my psyche. If I won the
lottery, I'd bitch about the taxes and paperwork.

One of the trade newsletters I get started a thread "what are you
thankful for?", which made me groan. Indeed, it has been a bunch of "I'm
thankful for all the wonderful people I work with, and that Jesus loves
me" posts.

Cynicism aside, however, I am trying to be thankful for what I
have. I have a four day weekend, I have dinner to cook, I found two
cases of Good Beer at the beverage center, bills are paid, heat is on
and I have a purring cat in my lap. So, I'm certainly better off than a
lot of Thanksgivings which I spent broke and unemployed, or broke and
working a job I hated.

Of course it doesn't take much thought to realize that there's an
awful lot of people in the world that are undoubtedly just grateful to
be alive. With all the wars, terrorism, plagues and unrest in so many
places, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to trade for even my
most miserable Thanksgiving.
"You had food? and water? and a warm room and a soft bed? and you didn't
have to worry about being shot or blown up? Ah, indeed a day to be
thankful!"

OK, time to go be thankful I have hot running water to wash some dishes.
Happy Thanksgiving, all!
--
PB
February 13, 2008:

Paul Wallich

Nov 27, 2014, 10:49:03 PM11/27/14
On 11/27/14 3:53 PM, Plague Boy wrote:
[...]
> OK, time to go be thankful I have hot running water to wash some dishes.
> Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Happy Thanksgiving. Also C's 10th birthday (as of about 25 minutes ago,
precisely speaking). So in addition to comfortable current situation
(albeit a 14-pund turkey is really *small*) I get to give thanks for not
being a childless widower.

thanks.

songbird

Nov 28, 2014, 9:29:58 PM11/28/14
Paul Wallich wrote:
> Happy Thanksgiving. Also C's 10th birthday (as of about 25 minutes ago,
> precisely speaking).

wow! time flies!

> So in addition to comfortable current situation
> (albeit a 14-pund turkey is really *small*) I get to give thanks for not
> being a childless widower.

:)

songbird

songbird

Nov 28, 2014, 9:29:59 PM11/28/14
Plague Boy wrote:
> Of course it doesn't take much thought to realize that there's an
> awful lot of people in the world that are undoubtedly just grateful to
> be alive. With all the wars, terrorism, plagues and unrest in so many
> places, I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to trade for even my
> most miserable Thanksgiving.
> "You had food? and water? and a warm room and a soft bed? and you didn't
> have to worry about being shot or blown up? Ah, indeed a day to be
> thankful!"

yep. as of yet the bombs are still not often
going off around here. i can't imagine what it
would be like to live in some of the countries
that have frequent attacks.

or like what is going on right now in parts
of Africa with the Ebola outbreak, or Ukraine
or ... some days i think the whole world has
gone basically nuts.

> OK, time to go be thankful I have hot running water to wash some dishes.

i think it is wise to focus on the small pleasures
in life, especially when a wider view leaves
you wondering.

> Happy Thanksgiving, all!

it was fun. :)

i'm glad to be alive. i'm glad i can sit here
and listen to Ma laughing while she's watching
_Hogan's Heroes_ and i can hack at a program some
more trying to fix one last bug before i write
up the docs, pack it up and ship it out.

tonight it snowed a little, more will show up
later on, then Saturday it gets warm and rainy
enough to melt it all again.

i wish it would just stick and we'd have enough
on the ground to insulate everything for the rest
of the winter.

songbird