audio books, online reading, etc.

songbird

Jul 4, 2015, 1:19:03 PM7/4/15
tried them a few times now and still don't really
like them.

today's attempts resulted in me not liking the
first book at all (voice too annoying) and the
second while the author's voice is fine it put
me to sleep.

in both cases i'll just get the books via the
library.

audio books are also way too slow. i tried
speeding up the voices but that doesn't work
well either.

the other "modern" reading experiences i've been
trying lately are the ebooks. it took me a while
to figure out that i could return some of them when
i was done with them (a 5 book limit is rediculous
for me) and some i cannot return early at all. makes
no sense to me...

songbird

Velochicdunord

Jul 4, 2015, 6:34:27 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 12:19:03 PM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
tried them a few times now and still don't really
like them.
=20
today's attempts resulted in me not liking the
first book at all (voice too annoying) and the
second while the author's voice is fine it put
me to sleep.

Given that I'm now making regular trips road trips back and forth to Toront=
o from Alabama, I've been working through my tech industry background readi=
ng via audiobooks. "The Innovators" was good for a little over a one-way tr=
ip, including the number of times I or Dr. Fly rewound something to hear it=
again.

As much as possible, we've used audio CDs and DVDs from the local library, =
but recently, have started purchasing audio books from Audible.com for titl=
es that weren't readily available. =20

in both cases i'll just get the books via the
library.
=20
audio books are also way too slow. i tried
speeding up the voices but that doesn't work
well either.

the other "modern" reading experiences i've been
trying lately are the ebooks. it took me a while
to figure out that i could return some of them when
i was done with them (a 5 book limit is rediculous
for me) and some i cannot return early at all. makes
no sense to me...

I haven't started using these - yet. I have enough tech reading (and study)=
in front of me that I don't think I'll be doing much recreational reading =
for a few more years yet.=20

For those who haven't been following - went back to school, did information=
systems degree, took some time to help launch a makerspace (which has stre=
tched out more than anticipated - space now moving under it's own steam) , =
currently polish code chops while doing a robotic camp and aiming to return=
to workforce ASAP after that. Eh - and applying little leverage locally wi=
th a long fulcrum on a small pivot point.

Velochic

songbird

Jul 4, 2015, 7:38:07 PM7/4/15
Velochicdunord wrote:
>songbird wrote:

> tried them a few times now and still don't really
> like them.
>=20
> today's attempts resulted in me not liking the
> first book at all (voice too annoying) and the
> second while the author's voice is fine it put
> me to sleep.
>
> Given that I'm now making regular trips road trips back and forth to Toront=
> o from Alabama, I've been working through my tech industry background readi=
> ng via audiobooks. "The Innovators" was good for a little over a one-way tr=
> ip, including the number of times I or Dr. Fly rewound something to hear it=
> again.
>
> As much as possible, we've used audio CDs and DVDs from the local library, =
> but recently, have started purchasing audio books from Audible.com for titl=
> es that weren't readily available. =20

*waves hello!*

heck, i thought you were firmly planted in the south
now, didn't know you were still going back and forth.

...ebooks...
> I haven't started using these - yet. I have enough tech reading (and study)=
> in front of me that I don't think I'll be doing much recreational reading =
> for a few more years yet.=20

i've gotten away from reading for some months
at times, but eventually i start picking up books
off the shelves here and rereading them and then
that makes me start looking for more recent authors
that have new works out.

summer isn't normally a big reading time for me
but this year seems to be different and i'm enjoying
it. i like having something to read in the middle
of the day when i'm siesta-ing.

> For those who haven't been following - went back to school, did information=
> systems degree, took some time to help launch a makerspace (which has stre=
> tched out more than anticipated - space now moving under it's own steam) , =
> currently polish code chops while doing a robotic camp and aiming to return=
> to workforce ASAP after that. Eh - and applying little leverage locally wi=
> th a long fulcrum on a small pivot point.

:)

songbird