Time to turn out the lights?

Penelope Periwinkle

Jul 30, 2015, 8:36:09 AM7/30/15
From Piglet on Facebook in the SSM group < https://www.facebook.com/groups/nematode/?fref=nf> It's a secret group, so I think you have to be on Facebook and added by a member to see it.

Anyway, from Piglet:

"I just got the bill for another year for the ssm Panix account. Time to cancel it?"

" It is $100 per year. I have unsubscribed from all of Usenet. Anyone here still posting?"

Penelope

songbird

Jul 30, 2015, 10:59:40 AM7/30/15
looks like time to say goodbye. it was a great place to
make friends and hang out, but that was a long time ago.

so long! aidios amigos, etc. etc. this e-mail address
works for me if anyone wants to stay in touch. you
won't find me on facebook or livejournal.

mostly, these days for usenet, i'm in the gardening
groups, be good, have fun...

songbird ( *peep*

paul wallich

Jul 30, 2015, 11:06:38 AM7/30/15
I'm in a few computer-related groups. Not so much on any of the big
sites. Which is kinda sad I guess, but life changes.

It would be nice to have some sort of email archive somewhere, just in
case someone needs to get in touch.

paul

songbird

Jul 30, 2015, 9:07:26 PM7/30/15
paul wallich wrote:
> songbbird wrote:
>> mostly, these days for usenet, i'm in the gardening
>> groups, be good, have fun...
>
> I'm in a few computer-related groups. Not so much on any of the big
> sites. Which is kinda sad I guess, but life changes.

yeah, i've tried to recruit more posters from other
newsgroups to read and write here but they don't seem
to ever get past the "singles" part of the name.

i'm around in some tech groups too, but nothing
major at present, i mostly am reading Debian related
stuff.

> It would be nice to have some sort of email archive somewhere, just in
> case someone needs to get in touch.

an archive of ?

songbird

Plague Boy

Aug 4, 2015, 11:33:16 AM8/4/15
On 7/30/15 8:36 AM, Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
> Anyway, from Piglet:
>
> "I just got the bill for another year for the ssm Panix account. Time to cancel it?"
>
> " It is $100 per year. I have unsubscribed from all of Usenet. Anyone here still posting?"
Well....so sad. ssm got me through some rough times. But there's only
about 4 people posting anymore, and that's very irregular. I guess it's
a little like the passenger pigeons, once the flock drops below a
certain population, extinction follows.

Anyhow, I guess we still have email, and most folks are on FB, so
it's not as if we'll never be in contact ever again. Thanks to the
people who paid for the account and made the 'bot function for all these
years, and a moment of silence for those who are no longer with us in a
more mortal sense.
--
PB
"...it is a stunningly bad idea to be in a singles group with

paul wallich

Aug 9, 2015, 7:30:25 PM8/9/15
The wording made sense to me at the time. Basically a tiny little
directory list that says "If you're looking for this
person/handle/obsolete address who used to post to SSM, this other
address/method/whatever will probably get a message to them."

I don't have much to say to anybody on a regular basis these days, but
the idea of not being able to get word out about something if I did bugs me.

paul

songbird

Aug 10, 2015, 11:27:05 AM8/10/15
paul wallich wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>> an archive of ?
>
> The wording made sense to me at the time. Basically a tiny little
> directory list that says "If you're looking for this
> person/handle/obsolete address who used to post to SSM, this other
> address/method/whatever will probably get a message to them."
>
> I don't have much to say to anybody on a regular basis these days, but
> the idea of not being able to get word out about something if I did bugs me.

i suspect just passing a note to someone on facebook
or twitter would accomplish that.

i could set up an e-mail list service, but i dunno if
we have enough people left that would actually care to
use it.

songbird

cbianco

Aug 24, 2015, 12:58:59 AM8/24/15
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 11:27:05 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:

that, and a nematode and a dime will get me a cup of coffee

cbianco
where is carlotta when you need her