Loreena McKennitt Tour

Plague_Boy

Mar 25, 2007, 3:44:52 PM3/25/07
It seems to be my fate lately to be harassed by ads, but one caught my
eye as it blinked, flashed, and slithered into oblivion.

Loreena McKennitt.

A tour?

She hardly *ever* tours. In fact, not since 1998.

Well, it doesn't look as if I will make it, but there's lots of stops
through the US and Canada.

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/buzz.aspx?bid=742

Suitably Dented

Mar 25, 2007, 6:46:09 PM3/25/07
Plague_Boy <plagu...@earthlink.net>, in article <JiANh.16252$tD2....@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, dixit:

>It seems to be my fate lately to be harassed by ads, but one caught my
>eye as it blinked, flashed, and slithered into oblivion.
>Loreena McKennitt.
>A tour?
>She hardly *ever* tours. In fact, not since 1998.
>http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/buzz.aspx?bid=742

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Piglet, QQ510

Ocean Gypsy

Mar 30, 2007, 4:32:22 PM3/30/07

Bless you, Plague Boy. Thanks to you, we are going to see her in
Nashville, which seems a little odd (I saw her PBS special in
Alhambra, Spain which was a gorgeous setting).

Crys

Plague Boy

Jun 8, 2015, 8:50:52 PM6/8/15
On 3/25/07 3:44 PM, Plague_Boy wrote:
> It seems to be my fate lately to be harassed by ads, but one caught my
> eye as it blinked, flashed, and slithered into oblivion.
>
> Loreena McKennitt.
>
> A tour?
>
> She hardly *ever* tours. In fact, not since 1998.
>
> Well, it doesn't look as if I will make it, but there's lots of stops
> through the US and Canada.

Oddly enough, I checked her website about 1-2 months ago. No, not touring.

Today I was talking to a cow-orker. She got tickets to see "that
Celtic woman-well, kinda Celtic- she's real good", when she joined the
local public radio station. She brought up the email.
"Oh, Loreena McKennitt is her name."
You could have picked my jaw up off the floor.
"Loreena McKennitt is coming the THE EGG?"
"Yeah..."
So I went to buy a ticket....and didn't have my credit card. I had to
wait until I got home. The Great Seats were long gone, but there's
really not a bad seat in The Egg, so no complaints.

Ironically, I get emails from The Egg. I went back and checked, and
sure enough, there she was, buried in the sidebar with a lot of less
exciting acts.

If I'd listened to the fund drive, I might have picked up on it, but
I've gotten to the point where I turn it off whenever it's on. The guy
running the station has gotten so strident it's not bearable to listen to.

Anyhow, lots of other stops on her tour. Enjoy!

--
PB
February 13, 2008:

Plague Boy

Oct 17, 2015, 1:24:51 AM10/17/15
On 6/8/15 8:50 PM, Plague Boy wrote:
> On 3/25/07 3:44 PM, Plague_Boy wrote:
>> Loreena McKennitt.
>>
>> A tour?
>> She hardly *ever* tours. In fact, not since 1998.

> Oddly enough, I checked her website about 1-2 months ago. No, not touring.
>
> Today I was talking to a cow-orker. She got tickets to see "that
> Celtic woman-well, kinda Celtic- she's real good", when she joined the
> local public radio station. She brought up the email.
> "Oh, Loreena McKennitt is her name."
> You could have picked my jaw up off the floor.
> "Loreena McKennitt is coming the THE EGG?"
> "Yeah..."
> So I went to buy a ticket....and didn't have my credit card.

So....after many trials and tribulations, I made it to the show. It was
awesome.....stunning...exquisite. Nothing much in the way off staging,
or special effects. Some LED candlelabras, a cloud projection on the
back curtain, and a fog machine. Loreena played her student harp and the
piano....and sang. Oh, did she sing. She sounded just like the CDs...but
more alive. Maybe there were 30 people backstage with half a million
dollars worth of studio equipment making her sound good..but I don't
think so.

She was accompanied by the incomparable Caroline Lavelle, who
appears on "Nights from the Alhombra" DVD, on cello, pennywhistle?, and
tiny accordion(?). Caroline provided backing vocals on several songs,
and tossed her disheveled blonde tresses in a most distracting manner.

She was also accompanied by Brian Hughes, the guitarist on "Nights
from the Alhombra" and who was up for the task. Switching between
electric and acoustic guitar, bazouki, and maybe some other instruments,
he seemed to have a guitar synthesizer setup, as some of the sounds did
not seem to be actual guitar tones...but provided some needed background
tones and added atmosphere to some of Loreena's stories.

Loreena seemed most gracious and happy to be on stage. She went on
at some length about the research on some of the songs, told some
anecdotes about her travels to Ireland and elsewhere, and garnered a few
laughs along the way. The crowd was very respectful, awaiting her next
selection; no shouted suggestions or 'Freebird!" tonight.

Highlights of the show? For me, "The Bonny Swans" was the apex, as
it's one of my favorite McKennitt songs. "All Souls' Night" was
second....one of my favorite Halloween songs, which I listened to on the
drive home. "Bonny Portmore" "Stolen Child" "Down by the Sally Gardens",
"The wind that shakes the barley" and "Lady of Shallot" were some of the
other medleys. Missing, sadly, was "The Mummer's Dance", perhaps to
complex to perform as a trio. My other disappointment was that, after
steeling myself to pay way too much for a T-shirt, there were none to be
had.

So, a good time was had by all. Loreena promised to see us all again
soon...which I hope is a reality.

songbird

Oct 17, 2015, 11:19:53 AM10/17/15
Plague Boy wrote:
> On 6/8/15 8:50 PM, Plague Boy wrote:
>> On 3/25/07 3:44 PM, Plague_Boy wrote:
^^

wow that's a long wait!

>>> Loreena McKennitt.
>>>
>>> A tour?
>>> She hardly *ever* tours. In fact, not since 1998.

right at the end, you should have yelled "Freebird"...

:)

sounds like a wonderful concert.

funny that this still works, i thought the account was
gone and that posts would no longer show up. or are we
unmoderated now just like any other newsgroup?

anyways going back to the concert atmosphere that is
sometimes ruined by people yelling or whistling at moments
when there is some quiet space in a song -- it reminds me of
Willie Nelson singing _Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground_
at a live concert and it's a great rendition, but there's
just a little bit too much audience participation and it
could have been a step higher (see how i did that? :) )
had they kept their yappers shut.

songbird