I have a supposed ancestor named John Aldin or Alden.

Sam Sloan

May 27, 2002, 10:15:26 AM5/27/02
I have a supposed ancestor named John Aldin or Alden.

http://www.samsloan.com/pafg55.htm#1810

This is a famous name, but not necessarily the name of the same
person.

There are two historical persons named John Alden. One is famous for
the quote "Speak for yourself, John" which, according to Nathaniel
Hawthorne, was supposedly said to him by Priscilla Mullins, who came
over on the Mayflower. They then got married and had 11 children.
http://search.eb.com/women/articles/Alden_Priscilla_Mullins.html

It would be good if I came over on the Mayflower. Then, I could join
all kinds of Mayflower Groups.

The other John Alden was tried and found guilty of witchcraft in the
infamous Salem witch trials. He was sentenced to prison, but escaped
from jail using sorcery.
http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~bcr/relg415_01/project/examinations/dignan.html

This would be even better, as there are plenty of people who think
that I am a witch already. This would finally be the proof.

However, the John Aldin that I am supposedly descended from is or is
not either of these. This John Aldin was born in 1629 in England and
married Jane Willis.

Are all these John Aldins or Aldens three different people or two
different people or all the same person?

Does anybody know?

I do not know anything about this. (I did not need to tell you that.)

PS My Uncle Alden Jacobson dropped the A-BOMB on Nagasaki. I discussed
this with one of his sons at my mother's funeral last Tuesday. Alden
Jacobson who dropped the bomb may have been named after his presumed
ancestor, John Alden.

Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

May 27, 2002, 5:44:55 PM5/27/02
My mother, who died last week, was Helen Marjorie Jacobson Sloan. Her
parents were Wesley Jacobson (1877-1963) and Mary Elizabeth Graham
(1879-1956). My grandmother, Mary Elizabeth Graham, was the daughter
of Samuel Allison Graham (1848-1931) and Elizabeth Grace Thomson
(1851-1932). Samuel Allison Graham was the son of William M. Graham
(1801-1882) and Jane Popham (1809-1893). Jane Popham was the daughter
of Humphrey Popham (born 1763) and Elizabeth Hawkins (born 1762).
Humphrey Popham was the son of Job Popham (1709-1781) and Ann Nall
(1738-1825). Ann Nalle was the daughter of Martin Nalle Jr.
(1707-1788) and Isabelle (1710-1788). Martin Nalle Jr. was the son of
Martin Nalle Sr. (1670-1728) and Mary Aldin (1681-1734). Mary Aldin
was the daughter of Robert Aldin (born 1649) and Eleanor Willis
(1655-1734). Robert Aldin was the son of John Aldin (born 1629) and
Jane Willis (born 1633).

This is one of the results of the family history research I have been
doing.

Sam Sloan

On Mon, 27 May 2002 14:15:26 GMT, sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan)

SnowDog

May 28, 2002, 11:10:29 AM5/28/02
"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

> It would be good if I came over on the Mayflower. Then, I could join
> all kinds of Mayflower Groups.

Then you'd have been dead for over 300 years, and none of us would be privy
to all of your tales of chess rulebook espionage and orgies with skanks.

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support
of Paul."

Frank Rizzo

May 28, 2002, 12:04:42 PM5/28/02
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) wrote in message news:<3cf23e4c...@ca.news.verio.net>...

> I have a supposed ancestor named John Aldin or Alden.

snip...

> Are all these John Aldins or Aldens three different people or two
> different people or all the same person?
>
> Does anybody know?

a better question might be:

DOES ANYBODY CARE??

fr