HUNDERTMARK in East Prussia (1 of 2)

Beatrice Beck

Feb 10, 1994, 2:00:51 AM2/10/94
On 6 Feb 1994, Fred Rump <f...@COMPU.COM> writes from home

> This may be a possible link in my maternal lines. Ostensibly these were
> rather patrician trading folk and are known way back to the early Middle
> Ages. They may have been involved in the Hanseatic League. Henrik
> Hundertmark was a wealthy trader in Cologne back in the 12th century.
>
> I have an Anna Loisa Hundertmark, born 1774 in Zinten, East Prussia,
> daughter of Peter Hundertmark & Maria, nee Bahr, of the same place.
>
> Any connections anywhere?

Josef Karlmann Brechenmacher, _Etymologisches W"orterbuch der Deutschen
Familiennamen_ (Limburg a. d. Lahn: C. A. Starke, 1957-63), p. 755, states
that HUNDERTMAR(C)K is `der verbreiteste aller mit <<Hundert>> anlautenden
"Ubernamen, wohl eine Verm"ogenssch"atzung aussprechend oder einen Menschen
bezeichnend, der so tut, als ob ein unersch"opfliches Verm"ogen hinter ihm
st"unde' (would that we were all so fortunate!). I know of no surname derived
from a nickname that is unique to a single family, and HUNDERTMARK, while
relatively uncommon, is, as Brechenmacher states, widespread. In addition to
the Henr. Hundirdmarc, 1196 citizen of K"oln to whom you refer, Brechenmaker
cites a Hynricus Hunnertmarch, 1309 in Greifswald; Marquardus Hundertmark,
1371 Pomeranian squire [<<Knappe>>]; and Otte Hundirt Marg, 1406 property
owner [<<Grundbesitzer>>] in Jena. The appearance of the surname in East
Prussia in the 14th century (see below) indicates a German family or families
brought in by the Teutonic Order to colonize the region, but where in Germany
this/these Hundertmark family/ies originated is impossible to determine, at
least from the surviving records of the Teutonic Order.

_Aus den Aufzeichungen von Walter Grunert_, von Paul Aberger, Verein f"ur
Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen, Quellen, Materialien und
Sammlungen zur altpreussischen Familienforschung (QMS), 4 (Hamburg: Verein
f"ur Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen, 1990), p. 124, gives the
earliest references I have yet seen to the surname HUNDERTMARK in East
Prussia:
1336 Gottfried H., Gr"under von Wehlau [no source given].
1376 1 H. in Wiepeningken (parish of Norkitten, Kreis Insterburg), and
1 in Gerdauen, stammen vermutlich aus Wehlau. Marckhausen
(Markhausen, parish of Molthainen, Kreis Gerdauen) is named after
the Hundertmarck family [K. Kasiske, _Die Siedlungst"atigkeit des
Deutschen Ordens im "ostlichen Preussen bis zum Jahre 1410_,
Einzelschriften der Historischen Kommission f"ur ost- und
westpreussische Landesforschung, 5 (K"onigsberg 1934)]. On
28.x.1722, Friedrich Hundertmark sold his k"ollmisch Gut
Wiepeningken to the Prince of Anhalt-Dessau, and on 28.iii.1724
purchased the 4 Schulzenhufen in Weissensee, Kreis Wehlau, from the
widow of pastor Steinfeldt [Hermann Polenz, _Chronik der in
Ostpreussen gelegenen, dem Herzoge von Anhalt geh"origen
Norkitten'schen G"uter_ (Abgeschlossen 1868; Insterburg 1885), p.
5ff.; Friedrich Moeller, "Zur Geschichte des Gutes Kl. Weissensee
im Kreise Wehlau," _Altpreussische Geschlechterkunde_, N.F., Bd. 1,
Jg. 4 (1956), 55].
1395 Hans (?) Hundertmark or Heinrich and Peter Hundertmark
("Uberschrift Petir Hundirtmarg) purchased the freies Dienstgut,
consisting of 12 Hufen in the field of Molthainen, which had been
granted in 1375 to the German Paul. They were granted this land,
together with an additional 6 Hufen forest in the same field, and
2 Hufen marsh lay in Mintwiese. In 1404, these 20 Hufen were held
by Heinrich Hundirtmarg, in 1437 by (no given name) Hundirtmarg.
The estate (in the "Amter of Gerdauen and Nordenburg) was still
called "Hundertmarck" in 1504; it was later known as Markhausen
[Martin Rousselle, "Das Siedlungswerk des Deutschen Ordens im Lande
Gerdauen," _Altpreussische Forschungen_, Jg. 6 (1929), 230].
1404 Hanns H. held 12 Hufen between Brolost and Gerdauen [Martin
Rousselle, "Das Siedlungswerk des Deutschen Ordens im Lande
Gerdauen," _Altpreussische Forschungen_, Jg. 6 (1929)].

There was at one time a "v. Hundertmarck" family in East Prussia, the subject
of the article by (no first name given) Hundertmarck, "Der Stammbaum des
ostpreussischen Landesritters `v. Hundertmarck'," _Der Deutsche Herold_, Jg.
41 (1910), 116-117, 138-139. I have not seen this article, but the Family
History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City has a microfilm copy of the periodical
volume (roll 0496979), and you can borrow a copy of this microfilm through any
LDS (Mormon) Family History Center. The same author also wrote "Die Wappen
der Familien `Hundertmark'," _Archiv f"ur Stamm- und Wappenkunde_, Jg. 9
(1908/09), 56-60. I have also not seen this article, which most probably
includes Hundertmark families outside of East Prussia. The FHL has a copy of
the periodical volume (call #: 943.D24ra), but apparently has *not*
microfilmed it; however, you can request a photocopy of the appropriate pages
from the FHL using a form available at any LDS Family History Center.

Turning specifically to your maternal Hundertmark line, I assume that the
Peter H. you name is identical to the Peter Hundertmarck, 1780 Instmann in
Kupgallen (a hamlet in the parish of Zinten, due south of Zinten itself), with
a wife and 2 children, 2 and 5 years old; the same record also lists a
Christoph Bahr, Instmann in Kupgallen, with a wife and children aged 1, 3, 4,
and 6 years--he is probably Maria's brother [2/186]. (An Instmann is defined
as a `l"andlicher Arbeiter bei einem Gut oder K"olmer. Urspr"unglich zahlen
die Instleute Miete f"ur Wohnung, Garten und einige Morgen im Felde, leisten
mehrere unentgeltliche Scharwerkstage und arbeiten im "ubrigen gegen
orts"ublichen Lohn, so oft sie der Gutsherr braucht, andernfalls auch
ausw"arts' [Otto Schemmerling, _Einwohnerlisten aus dem Kreise Heiligenbeil_,
Teil I, Erster Halbband: 1601-1690, Sonderschriften des Vereins f"ur
Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen, 37 (Hamburg: Verein f"ur
Familienforschung in Ost- und Westpreussen, 1987), 392-393].)

The following registers for the Protestant church in Zinten survive as
microfilms in the Deutsche Zentralstelle f"ur Genealogie in Leipzig:

Baptisms:
1646-1671 AS 3216 1646-1671 B 1524
1671-1713 AS 3217 1671-1747 B 1525
1689-1697 AS 3220
1713-1746 AS 3218
1747-1765 AS 3219

Stadtgemeinde Landgemeinde
1747-1768 B 1527 1747-1765 B 1527
1765-1780 B 1528 1765-1767 B 1528
1781-1797 B 1529 1768-1790 B 1531
1798-1815 B 1530 1790-1810 B 1532
1816-1826 B 1530a 1810-1815 B 1533
1827-1848 B 1530b 1816-1823 B 1533a
1851-1856 B 1673
1857-1874 B 1674

Marriages:
1691-1697 B 3221
1716-1765 B 1543
1770-1797 B 1544
1798-1815 B 1545
1816-1825 B 1545a
1835-1850 B 1545b
1851-1857 B 1526
1858-1874 B 1546

Burials
1689-1697 AS 3220

Stadtgemeinde Landgemeinde
1766-1768 B 1535 1716-1766 B 1534
1771-1781 B 1536 1767-1781 B 1535
1781-1810 B 1537 1782-1810 B 1539
1811-1815 B 1540 1811-1815 B 1538
1836-1859 B 1675 1860-1874 B 1677
1860-1874 B 1676

Communicants/Beichtkinderverzeichnis
1691-1697 AS 3221

The FHL has copies of these microfilms (rolls 1197992 through 1197999), and
you can borrow copies of them through any LDS Family History Center.

For the period prior to the beginning of the surviving church records, the
records of the former Prussian state archive in K"onigsberg--now part of the
Geheimes Staatesarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz in Berlin--provide
tantalizing clues, if no provable pedigrees. Zinten lay in Kreis
Heiligenbeil; prior to the Stein-Hardenberg reforms of the early 19th
century, it belonged to Amt Balga. The FHL has microfilm copies of the
following surviving records for Amt Balga:

Domainenamt, Pr"astationstabellen, Bde. 1-13 (1775-1819) (rolls 1188800
through 1188806).
Schulzenamt, Generalhufenschoss, 1718 (rolls 1187026 and 1187027).
Vogtei
Steuerliste, 1540 (roll 0071001).
Zinsliste, 1603-1674 (roll 0071010).
Zinsliste, 1684-1748/49 (roll 0071011).

These records are primarily tax and land records, and searching them can be
a lengthy and frustrating experience. Fortunately, however, the majority of
these records have been transcribed and published in Otto Schemmerling,
_Einwohnerlisten aus dem Kreise Heiligenbeil_ , Teil I, Erster Halbband: 1601-
1690; Teil I, Zweiter Halbband: 1691-1751; Teil II (1756-1800); Teil III
(1801-1876), Sonderschriften des Vereins f"ur Familienforschung in Ost- und
Westpreussen, 37 (Hamburg: Verein f"ur Familienforschung in Ost- und
Westpreussen, 1978-1989). From these volumes I have abstracted the following
HUNDERTMARK references in Amt Balga. When not otherwise indicated, references
in [] square brackets are to [volume/page(s)] of Schemmerling's work; Ksp.
= Kirchspiel (parish).

1. Parish of Zinten:
1) Albenlauk (north of Zinten, near the P"orschken parish boundary):
(1) Early 17th cent. in the possession of H. Hundertmark of
Pl"ossen; c. 1650 in the hands of M. Friese [_Altpreussische
Geschlechterkunde_, N.F., Bd. 23, Jg. 41 (1993), 446].
2) Pl"ossen (north of Zinten, immediately west of Albenlauk):
(1) Andrea[s] Hundert Margk of Pl"ossen, 1604/05 fined 4 marks,
"das er dem Scharfschwert zu Bladia ein dinat Magdt abspendig
gemacht und vorenthalten" [1.1/22].
(2) Gergen Hundert Margk of Pl"ossen, 1606/07 fined 3 marks, "das
er seinen Nachbahren seinen Knecht ausm Dinst entstehnet"
[1.1/34].
(3) Regina Hundertmarckin from Pl"ossen oo Klein-Dexen (Kreis
Preussisch-Eylau): Christian Kohn from Rositten (Ksp. Klein-
Dexen) (attestation of the minister, 10.vi.1719) [1.2/205].
3) Ku[y]schen (south of Zinten):
(1) Michael Hundertmarck, 1774 K"olmer in Kuschen: man, wife, 2
daughters over 1 years [2/12, 57]. In 1780 his land was held
by Albrecht Sawintzky [2/154].
4) Kupgallen (south of Zinten, estate bordering on Kuyschen):
(1) Peter Hundertmarck, 1780 Instmann in Kupgallen: man, wife, 1
child 2 years old, 1 child 5 years old [2/186].

2. Parish of Bladiau:
1) Bladiau (northeast of Heiligenbeil, midway on the road to
Ludwigsort):
(1) Andres Hundertmarg of Bladiau, x.1551 `soll 2 Mk. Zins auf
n"achsten Weihnachten geben. Sonst ist der 8 Mk. Busse
schuldig. dass er <<gepische>> [?], die ist ihm erlassen'
[Emil Johs. Guttzeit, `Schuldner und Gl"aubiger der Bischofs
Georg von Polenz im Amte Balga 1551,' _Ostdeutsche
Familienkunde_, Jg. 1, H. 1/2 (1953), 5].
(2) Tewes Hundertmarck, 1602/03 in Bladia[u] [1.1/21].
(3) Gregor Hundertmark, 1632/33 one of 6 heirs to 15 Hufen "wuest"
in Bladiau [1.1/147].
(4) Christoph Hundertmarck, 1674/75-1681 [1.1/284, 336; Otto
Schulz, "Die Bauern des ehemaligen Amtes Balga,"
_Altpreussische Geschlechterkunde_, N.F., Bd. 23, Jg. 41
(1993), 406]. Hopelessly in debt ("nichts zu hoffen") as
early as 1674/75 [1.1/302, 298, 359, 350]. Died 1685 `in
gr"osster Armuth', his lands given to Christoff Queiss
[1.1/337, 354].
2) Wolittnick (northwest of Bladiau, on the K"onigsberger Haff):
(1) Dignacius Hundertmarg of Wolittnick, x.1551 `ist wegen seines
Vorfahren Getreide schuldig. Er hat nichts zu bezahlen. Der
Hauptmann soll sehen, wann das Erbe gen"ugend besetzt wird, ob
was "ubrig ist, dass soll [+Bishof Georg v.] Polentz erhalten'
[Emil Johs. Guttzeit, "Schuldner und Gl"aubiger der Bischofs
Georg von Polenz im Amte Balga 1551," _Ostdeutsche
Familienkunde_, Jg. 1, H. 1/2 (1953), 8].
3) Potlitten (immediately northeast of Bladiau, on the road to
Ludwigsort):
(1) Salomon Hundertmarck, 1602/03 in Potlitten [1.1/34].

Michael
Beatrice M. Beck, 1028 Oxford Ave., Claremont, CA 91711
Michael P. Palmer, P.O. Box 765, Claremont, CA 91711 Tel: 909-626-1362

Internet: be...@cgsvax.claremont.edu

PieterAV.Donche

Feb 15, 1994, 2:35:03 AM2/15/94
Sorry to make use of the list for this mail, but I seem not to be able to
reach my correspondent otherwise.

Hi, Michael,
I'm inquiring about my mails to Mrs Judy Harvey Sahak about the Donche Book
of Hours in the Scripps College. I sent her a mail before New Year and one
after, but got no replies. However I did receive a first mail earlier in
December and the photocopies she sent me by air mail. I believe something
is going wrong with E-mail. I already sent you a personal mail about this
problem, and a mail to either postm...@rocky.claremont.edu and postmaster
@cgsvax.claremont.edu - no answer to none of these mails.
I hope you read this mail and communication can be restored in some way.

Pieter Donche E-mail: don...@uia.ac.be // /// \
Univ. Inst. Antwerpen /\ _/~
Rekencentrum A2.23 Voice: +32 (0)3.820.22.02 ~~/` EU
Universiteitsplein 1, Fax : +32 (0)3.820.22.44 __\_ _
B 2610 Wilrijk /_/ \\\_/
Belgium (`) EUROPE =~ =