[uua_l@uua.org: [UUA-L] UUA President Celebrates Vermont Marriage Votes]

wolfe

Apr 8, 2009, 8:53:15 AM4/8/09
----- Forwarded message from Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org> -----

Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:25:24 -0400
From: Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org>
To: uu...@lists.uua.org
Subject: [UUA-L] UUA President Celebrates Vermont Marriage Votes
<mailto:uua-l-...@lists.uua.org?subject=subscribe>

The following statement was issued by Unitarian Universalist Association
(UUA) President Rev. William G. Sinkford.

(April 7, 2009) I rejoice in the Vermont legislature's votes to allow
same-sex couples to marry in their state. Today's actions guarantee
equal treatment under Vermont law for committed same-sex couples and
their families.

This clear call for justice by Vermont lawmakers brings us one step
closer to equality for all Americans. Along with last week's court
decision in Iowa, Vermont's action is yet another encouraging sign that
the United States eventually will extend full civil rights to all of "we
the people."

I applaud the courageous Vermont lawmakers for acting decisively and
with integrity to do the right thing. My heartfelt gratitude goes out to
the many Unitarian Universalists who have worked tirelessly for marriage
equality in Vermont.

We have had occasion to celebrate over the past week, but we know that
the struggle for marriage equality is far from over. Until all of our
nation's marriage statutes are free of discrimination, the Unitarian
Universalist Association will stand on the side of love and advocate for
full legal rights for committed same-sex couples.

The complete statement is on the web at:
http://www.uua.org/news/newssubmissions/132807.shtml . A press release
carrying Sinkford's statement is available at
http://www.uua.org/pressroom/pressreleases/132800.shtml .

----- End forwarded message -----
--
soc.religion.unitarian-univ is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
u...@iecc.com, and see http://sruu.iecc.com for the FAQ and posting policy.