uua_l@uua.org: [UUA-L] New from Skinner House Book "Be the Change, " by Stephen Shick

wolfe

Mar 12, 2009, 1:33:29 PM3/12/09
----- Forwarded message from Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org> -----

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:48:10 -0400
From: Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org>
To: uu...@lists.uua.org
Subject: [UUA-L] New from Skinner House Book "Be the Change,
" by Stephen Shick
<mailto:uua-l-...@lists.uua.org?subject=subscribe>

Skinner House Books is proud to announce the publication of

"Be the Change: Poems, Prayers & Meditations for Peacemakers & Justice
Seekers"

by Stephen Shick

"In a radio series I produced long ago, Studs Terkel, the intrepid
Chicago radio personality and author, said something like this: 'I wake
up in the morning and read the papers and say the human species is not
going to make it. Then,' he continued, 'I run into people who are making
a difference....' I offer this book to those people, to you, who look
upon the carnage of war, the cruelty of poverty, and the destruction of
our environment with open eyes and simply say, 'We can and must do
better.' This book is for you, the ones who, despite fears and
limitations, give hope and courage to all of us by the way you live. It
is dedicated to you who have a pestering need to love more boldly and
live more courageously so that others might live better lives."

- From the Introduction

This collection is designed to inspire and sustain activists and others
who are working for a better world. Shick draws on his four decades of
activist experience to offer motivation and encouragement to those just
starting out as well as reflections and insights to veteran
justice-seekers. Brimming with poignant and inspirational quotations and
verse from Jesus to Shakespeare to Edna St. Vincent Millay, Rachel
Carson and Maya Angelou.

Buy it here:

http://www.uuabookstore.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=1006

Praise for Be the Change

"Steve has drawn from his own richly lived tapestry of spirituality and
activism to give us a gift that can soothe, inspire, gently provoke or
lead us to contemplation. Be the Change will be at my side for years to
come."

- Charlie Clements, president and CEO, Unitarian Universalist Service
Committee

"Stephen Shick has given activists, trouble-makers, and prophetic
freedom fighters a thoughtfully crafted gift. We know the best boat in a
storm is one with a good keel. That's why we who are committed to
creating a just and peaceful world must tend to our spiritual
wellsprings."

- Nick Carter, president, Andover Newton Theological School

"Steve Schick's Be the Change is a rich resource for social activists
who change the world because they change themselves in the process. In a
varied collection of short readings, meditations and personal vignettes,
Schick effectively links the spiritual and the social, love and justice.
He explores many of the dilemmas faced by those who would change the
world. Drawing on resources from a variety of cultures, Schick captures
the essence of the linkage of spiritual growth and social change. Be the
Change would be a valuable addition to any activists library"

- Richard S. Gilbert, social justice coordinator, St. Lawrence District

About the Author

Stephen Shick is the founding director of the Unitarian Universalist
Peace Network and former director of U.S. programs for the Unitarian
Universalist Service Committee. A lifelong peace activist, he is senior
minister at the Unitarian Church of Marlborough and Hudson in Hudson,
Massachusetts. Shick is the author of "Consider the Lilies," a
collection of meditations, and "Just Congregations" from the UUA
Department of Social Justice.

----- End forwarded message -----
--
soc.religion.unitarian-univ is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
u...@iecc.com, and see http://sruu.iecc.com for the FAQ and posting policy.