[uua_l@uua.org: [UUA-L] UUA President Celebrates Iowa Marriage Ruling]

wolfe

Apr 4, 2009, 3:47:18 PM4/4/09
----- Forwarded message from Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org> -----

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:44:16 -0400
From: Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org>
To: uu...@lists.uua.org
Subject: [UUA-L] UUA President Celebrates Iowa Marriage Ruling
<mailto:uua-l-...@lists.uua.org?subject=subscribe>

The following statement was issued today (April 3 2009) by Unitarian
Universalist Association (UUA) President Rev. William Sinkford.

I rejoice at the Supreme Court's unanimous decision to affirm the rights
of same-sex couples to marry. This ruling, based on the equal protection
guarantee in the Iowa constitution, recognizes the necessity for equal
treatment under the law of all citizens. This decision will strengthen
committed same-sex couples and their families in Iowa, and bring us one
step closer to full legal equality for all Americans. A few days ago
Sweden became the fifth European country to recognize the rights of
same-sex couples to marry, and Americans can take pride that we continue
our climb toward the same goal.

I want to thank the courageous Iowa justices and to applaud the many
Unitarian Universalists who have worked tirelessly for marriage
equality. The plaintiffs Sean Fritz and Tim McQuillan were married in
the First Unitarian Church of Des Moines by Rev. Mark Stringer. I am
proud that a Unitarian Universalist congregation honored the commitment
of these two exceptional young men and supported them in their marriage
and in their struggle for legal recognition.

Today we celebrate, but we know that the struggle for marriage equality
is far from over. Until all of our nation's marriage statutes are free
of discrimination, the Unitarian Universalist Association will stand on
the side of love and advocate for full legal rights for committed
same-sex couples.

This statement is found on the UUA website at:
http://www.uua.org/news/newssubmissions/132001.shtml .

----- End forwarded message -----
--
soc.religion.unitarian-univ is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
u...@iecc.com, and see http://sruu.iecc.com for the FAQ and posting policy.