[uua_l@uua.org: [UUA-L] UUA President Responds to Shooting at Holocaust Memorial Museum]

1 view

wolfe

Jun 11, 2009, 12:33:19 PM6/11/09
----- Forwarded message from Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org> -----

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:06:36 -0400
From: Unitarian Universalist Association <uu...@uua.org>
To: uu...@lists.uua.org
Subject: [UUA-L] UUA President Responds to Shooting at Holocaust Memorial
Museum

The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) was touched by tragedy last
year after a shooting at a Unitarian Universalist church in Knoxville,
TN. The UUA is committed to speaking out against instances of violence,
oppression, and exclusion based on identity. Rev. William G. Sinkford,
President of the Unitarian Universalist Association, issued the
following statement in response to the shooting at the United States
Holocaust Memorial Museum.

"My prayers go out to all those who were harmed physically and
emotionally by this senseless act of violence. Hate crimes strike
against our nation's highest values-equality, justice, and diversity.
People of conscience must answer ignorance and anger by standing with
the victims on the side of love and tolerance. As a nation we have to
get beyond violence as our first response to difference. We need to find
a way to move toward the beloved community, not in spite our differences
but in celebration of them."

The complete statement can be found at
http://www.uua.org/news/newssubmissions/143102.shtml

----- End forwarded message -----
--
soc.religion.unitarian-univ is a moderated newsgroup. Please mail messages to
u...@iecc.com, and see http://sruu.iecc.com for the FAQ and posting policy.