Jatt Sikh surnames....

Baljinder Cheema

Jan 1, 2003, 9:59:56 PM1/1/03
This is the first time i have ever posted on usenet, i do not want to
upset anybody by posting this article to this newsgroup as i was going
to post this in soc.culture.punjab, but it looks dead and overrun by
crosspostings.

I know it is against sikhism to have caste, and forgive me if i have
offended anyone.

I just got bored one day and wrote a list of all the Jatt(punjabi)
surnames that i know of, some of them i am not too sure about???,
please add to this list as i am sure there are others

aujla, atwal, ark

bajwa, benning, bassi, bains, bhullar, bindra???, basra, biriah,
bhungal

cheema, chahal, chadha,

deol, dhaliwal, dhesi, dhanoa, dhillon, dosanjh, dhami

grewal, ghosal, gill, garcha, ghag, ghuman, gakhal??

hayer,

johal

kooner, kunkune, kang, khera, khella, kahlon

lidder, lehil, lally???

mann, mahal, mangat, malhi

nijjar, nahal, nagra

purewal, pooni, phagura

rehal, randhawa, rana

sandhu, sekhon, sidhu, shergill, sahota, sohal, somal, sanghera,
sanghe??? ,
sarai, samra

thiara, tarthaar, toor, thakar

uppall

virk

waraich

soc.religion.sikhism is a moderated newsgroup. Post your articles
to this newsgroup, or email them to sikh...@acpub.duke.edu
Administrative contact address is sikh...@acpub.duke.edu

Parry

Jan 2, 2003, 12:58:45 PM1/2/03
trying to contribute a lil to this list

> I know it is against sikhism to have caste, and forgive me if i have
> offended anyone.
>
> I just got bored one day and wrote a list of all the Jatt(punjabi)
> surnames that i know of, some of them i am not too sure about???,
> please add to this list as i am sure there are others
>
> aujla, atwal, ark
>

> bajwa, benning, bassi imo non-jatts so XXX, bains, bhullar, bindra??? XXX khatri, basra, biriah, u missed Brar!!!!
> bhungal
>
> cheema, chahal, chadha XXX khatri,
>
> deol, dhaliwal, dhesi, dhanoa, dhillon, dosanjh, dhami imo XXX
>
> grewal, ghosal, gill, garcha, ghag, ghuman, gakhal?? u mean Ghakhar? they r XXX, another jatt family name: Guron

> hayer,
>
> johal
>
> kooner, kunkune, kang, khera, khella, kahlon
>

> lidder, lehil, lally??? Langah

> mann, mahal, mangat, malhi
>
> nijjar, nahal, nagra
>

> purewal, pooni, phagura Pannu
>
> rehal, randhawa, rana usually Rajputs use this surname
>
> sandhu, sekhon, sidhu, shergill, sahota, sohal i think XXX, somal, sanghera,
> sanghe??? Sangha? Rajputs I think

> sarai, samra
>
> thiara, tarthaar, toor, thakar as in Thakur?
>
> uppall XXX khatri

Sunny Bains

Jan 3, 2003, 1:06:06 PM1/3/03
Bassi's are Jatts (From around Nakodar/Nurmahal)
Uppal is an interesting one, I know Uppals that are Jatts too, atleast
they claim to be. Dhami also Jatt, Thakar (pronounced Tak-khar(d))
Jatts. Sangha also Jatt - Most of them from villages around
Jandusingha Jal. Distt. Ghosal (I think should really be Gossal) atleast
thats how it is pronounced

Some names missing are:
Hundal, Dharni, Rangi, Bhatti, Benipal (around Sahnewal Ludh. Distt),
Sohi, Kler, Mundi, Powar/Puar, Mandher, Bhangoo (I think), Jhaj,
Baidwan, Bala, Khara, Sahi, Salh, Chohan.

I have relatives that are Chohan and they INSIST that they are Jatts
and not Rajputs, so I've included them in the list above.

cheers,
-sunny