marriage or vulgar display of wealth...............

khalsaiskingraajkaregakhalsa

Jul 23, 2003, 3:20:39 AM7/23/03
wahe guru ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki fateh
i wanted to share my ideas on the marriage system prevalent in
sikhs.well all i can say is that it is nothing more than a vulgar
display of wealth by the rich .The example set by a few who can afford
to spend is then followed obediently by the common.where is the need
for spending so much when there are a lot of people in our society who
can't get even two square meals a day.agreed that marriage is a
important event in the life of a individual .but why do we have to
create a show and have a gathering of about 200-300 people when most
of the people come just to eat the food(including me when the relation
is very distant) without having to do anything with your getting
married or not.what we can have in place for this is that only near
family members who can understand the importance of the event in our
life should come to marriage ceremony .marriageceremony can be
accompanied by a party for the family members.If the bride or groom's
family are rich enough so that they
want to spend some money ,it can be denoted to charitable causes such
as pingalwara or orphanage and let the less fortunate
also enjoy their life.Or they can spend the money in any creative way
without looking vulgar.well one thing which we should appreciate in
namdharis is their institution of marriage and learn from them a
lesson or two
in this respect .they do a very simple marriage which is neither a
burden on girl's family nor on boy's family.
what are your views on it.do post them.
ramneek singh.

soc.religion.sikhism is a moderated newsgroup. Post your articles
to this newsgroup, or email them to sikh...@acpub.duke.edu
Administrative contact address is sikh...@acpub.duke.edu

Amardeep S Chana

Aug 5, 2003, 12:09:34 PM8/5/03

"khalsaiskingraajkaregakhalsa" <ramneek...@sikhpoint.com> wrote in
message news:a89963d.03072...@posting.google.com...

While I agree with much of what you said I fail to find what is unique to
Sikhs. These silly behaviors are typical of most cultures.

Amardeep

J Singh

Aug 11, 2003, 12:10:01 PM8/11/03
Ditto Amardeep

I imagine that most ppl on this board are not in India.
It's interesting how even after being Sikhs we explore the "phenomenon" of
the Sikh culture
as if it were something from a museum.

I don't see Christianity discussed in the same way.
Maybe for some reason, we see it as more "natural"?

"Amardeep S Chana" <asc...@despammed.com> wrote in message