[SMART] PRESS RELEASE: SMART Representative Speaks on Live Broadcast of Arab News Program

SMART Announcements

Aug 18, 2003, 3:10:08 PM8/18/03

Press Release

For Immediate Release - 8/13/2003

Contact: Preetmohan Singh

202-393-2700 ext 27

in...@sikhmediawatch.org

SMART Representative Speaks on Live Broadcast of Arab News Program

Washington, DC – A representative of the Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Task Force (SMART), a national Sikh civil rights organization, appeared on a live television and radio broadcast on Tuesday, August 12 to talk about hate crimes, racial profiling and discrimination in the post-9/11 environment in the United States.

Manjit Singh, Chairman of SMART’s Board of Directors, was featured on the news magazine, Washington Live, a program aired weekly by the Arab Radio and Television Network.  He was invited to appear on the program by the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

CAIR, the nation’s largest Islamic civil liberties group, based in Washington, DC has worked with SMART on a variety of issues.  SMART and CAIR have jointly condemned hate crimes and profiling incidents directed at those who are or appear to be Muslim or Arab.  These include the recent beating of a Sikh family in Queens, NY and a cross-burning at a mosque in College Park, MD.

In June, SMART’s Washington, DC Director, Preetmohan Singh, was a speaker at CAIR’s national conference and spoke about post-9/11 backlash and civil liberties issues.

Washington Live airs on Tuesday at 8 p.m. EST and is available in the United

States through the Dish Network and on cable, and via satellite in other parts of the world.

### END ###

About SMART:

SMART, founded in 1996, is the oldest national Sikh American advocacy group. Its mission is to protect the rights of Sikh Americans through legislative advocacy, public education, legal assistance and ensuring accurate portrayal of the Sikh religion.

Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Task Force (SMART)
1331 H Street, NW, 11th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
TEL: 202-393-2700
FAX: 202-318-4433
EMAIL: in...@sikhmediawatch.org
WEB: www.sikhmediawatch.org

Madhusudan Singh

Aug 21, 2003, 8:20:06 PM8/21/03
On Monday 18 August 2003 15:10, SMART Announcements
(anno...@sikhmediawatch.org) held forth in soc.religion.sikhism
(<00af01c3621a$0d382180$0300a8c0@gnosis>):

> Press Release
>

> For Immediate Release - 8/13/2003
>
> Contact: Preetmohan Singh
>
> 202-393-2700 ext 27
>
> in...@sikhmediawatch.org
>

> SMART Representative Speaks on Live Broadcast of Arab News Program
>

> SMART, founded in 1996, is the oldest national Sikh American advocacy
> group. Its mission is to protect the rights of Sikh Americans through
> legislative advocacy, public education, legal assistance and ensuring
> accurate portrayal of the Sikh religion.
>
> Sikh Mediawatch and Resource Task Force (SMART)
> 1331 H Street, NW, 11th Floor
> Washington, DC 20005
> TEL: 202-393-2700
> FAX: 202-318-4433
> EMAIL: in...@sikhmediawatch.org

> WEB: www.sikhmediawatch.org <http://www.sikhmediawatch.org/>

I think that things like this are some of the most stupid ideas I have seen
in action. As if there isn't enough confusion in American mind about
Sikhism.

Sikhs are confused for fundamentalistic Muslims / Arabs.
Sikhs have a horrible history with fundamentalistic Muslims. No other
people, and that includes the Jews, have suffered as much at the hands of
fundamentalist Muslims.
And you go ahead and appear on CAIR, an Islamic PR group.

Now, may I know who called that "brilliant" ?

soc.religion.sikhism is a moderated newsgroup. Post your articles
to this newsgroup, or email them to sikh...@acpub.duke.edu
Administrative contact address is sikh...@acpub.duke.edu