What should I do about going to church?

4 views
Skip to first unread message

moazza...@hotmail.com

unread,
Apr 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/26/99
to

Salaam all,

As some of you know, Im married to a christian. She has a lot of family here
and I end up going to a lot of their weddings etc. The first half of a
wedding is at a church. I was wondering what I should do in this regrad. Is
it ok for me to go? It has no effect on me. I usually just get bored and
USUALLY come outside after half of the ceremony and then sit outside. She
comes with me to all Eids to the mosque and even other occasions. So Ive gone
with her so she would not hesitate in coming with me. Does anyone know if my
going to a church on these occasions is forbidden in Islam? Again, I dont
take PART in any of it. Just a silent spectator.

Thanks in advance,

Ma'salama!

Moazzam

-----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own


moazza...@hotmail.com

unread,
Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
to

K.-Benoit Evans

unread,
Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
to
moazza...@hotmail.com a =E9crit:
>=20
> Salaam all,
>=20
> As some of you know, Im married to a christian. She has a lot of family=

here
> and I end up going to a lot of their weddings etc. The first half of a
> wedding is at a church. I was wondering what I should do in this regrad=
. Is
> it ok for me to go? It has no effect on me. I usually just get bored an=
d
> USUALLY come outside after half of the ceremony and then sit outside. =
She
> comes with me to all Eids to the mosque and even other occasions. So Iv=
e gone
> with her so she would not hesitate in coming with me. Does anyone know =
if my
> going to a church on these occasions is forbidden in Islam? Again, I do=

nt
> take PART in any of it. Just a silent spectator.
>=20
> Thanks in advance,
>=20
> Ma'salama!
>=20
> Moazzam

assalaamu 3laykum wa raHmatu -llaah wa barakaatahu

The Prophet Muhammad (God's grace and peace be upon him) taught that fami=
ly
ties are extremely important and that the joining of a man and a woman is=
also
the joining of the two families.

It is quite alright for you to go with your wife to family weddings in
Christian churches. I find it rude and improper, however, for you to leav=
e
before the service is over. If you become bored, do some dhikr or du'a in=
your heart.

Some early Muslims even performed salat in churches. As-Sayyid Sabiq says=
this
in _Fiqh su-Sunnah_:

"Abu Musa al-Ash'ari and 'Umar ibn 'Abduaziz prayed in a church. Ash-Sh'a=
biy,
'Ata and Ibn Sireen did not see anything wrong with praying in a church..=
..
Al-Bukhari says, "Ibn 'Abbas would pray in churches...except for those wi=
th
statues or sculptures." The Muslims of Narjan wrote to 'Umar saying that =
they
found no place cleaner or better to pray in than a church. ...According t=
o the
Hanafi Shaf'i schools, it is disliked [but not forbidden] to pray in such
places in general."

In many families, the wedding reception that follows the marriage cermony=
is
an occasion for drinking alcohol, dancing with other men's wives and so f=
orth.
If your wife's family is like that, attending the church service is certa=
inly
less reprehensible than participating in the reception.

wassalaam,

Abdelkarim Benoit Evans

Alburhaan2

unread,
Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to
Subject: What should I do about going to church?
From: moazza...@hotmail.com

Brother, there is nothing wrong with asking, but you ask a lot of questions
that reveal utter confusion. I recommend that you strengthen your faith by
reading the Qur'an in sequence. There is nothing in Allah's religion against
attending Ahl aljitaab wedding ceremonies. Why should you have such a dilemma
about this?

Do they say that Jesus is God or the son of God during these wedding
ceremonies. No. Marriage is indeed a holy matrimony. so there is nothing wrong
with attending one.


jnawaz

unread,
Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to
As-salaam alaikum,

This newsgroup is not a good place to ask questions and get reliable
answers. You'll get answers from a variety of people: some will be
total kuffar with no affinity to Islam other than the name (phoney
most likely), others won't have the required knowledge but still like
to play scholar, and then once in a while you would get some sincere,
humble person who would provide the correct answer with supporting
evidence. But in general, the responses only contribute to confusion
and so this exercise of getting answers/fatawa on this forum is of no
use.

However, there are places (although few) on the internet where you
could direct your questions and get satisfying answers. Here are a
few:
http://www.islam-qa.com/ (by far the best)
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA (click on "Email MSA-USC" at
bottom of page, then email the
Religious Scholar)
http://www.qss.org/
http://www.java-man.com/Islam.html (click "E-Mail Salim
Morgan")

Let's treat our Deen seriously and not become an easy prey to the
Shaitan by acting (without discrimination) on whatever is dished out
here.

Abu Mujahid

In article <7g22ck$ngp$1...@waltz.rahul.net>, <moazza...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>Salaam all,
>
>As some of you know, Im married to a christian. She has a lot of family here


>and I end up going to a lot of their weddings etc. The first half of a

>wedding is at a church. I was wondering what I should do in this regrad. Is
>it ok for me to go? It has no effect on me. I usually just get bored and
>USUALLY come outside after half of the ceremony and then sit outside. She
>comes with me to all Eids to the mosque and even other occasions. So Ive gone
>with her so she would not hesitate in coming with me. Does anyone know if my
>going to a church on these occasions is forbidden in Islam? Again, I dont


>take PART in any of it. Just a silent spectator.
>

GF Haddad

unread,
May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
to
salam alaykum:

moazza...@hotmail.com wrote in message <7g22ck$ngp$1...@waltz.rahul.net>...

>As some of you know, Im married to a christian. She has a lot of family
here
>and I end up going to a lot of their weddings etc. The first half of a
>wedding is at a church. I was wondering what I should do in this regrad.

Church weddings on the whole are part of a larger social event despite their
religious appearance. Insha Allah there is no harm to one's faith in
attending them relying on Allah, provided one does so out of family
obligation together
with the intention of inviting to Islam, avoiding drinking and offensive
talk and mixing. The Prophet -- Allah bless and greet him! -- is our
example, and he entered non-Muslim places of worship for the purpose of
inviting others to
truth.

Perhaps the real issue is the broader outlook of the couple, since we
Muslims view Religion as life: how shall we raise our children, how should
we live and die?

It seems to me that the husband must resolve to be the worthier examplar of
the couple so as to lead and have a positive effect through his manners and
discourse. That is one of the meanings of the man's responsibility of his
family. "O ye who believe, ward off from yourselves and your families a
Fire..." (66:6). Going or not going here and there is not nearly as
important. Allah
knows best.


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages