(no subject)

Enver Masud

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
PRESS RELEASE
The Wisdom Fund, P. O. Box 2723, Arlington, VA 22202
Website: http://www.twf.org -- Press Contact: Enver Masud

PROPAGANDA MERCHANTS POSING AS TERRORISM 'EXPERTS'

WASHINGTON, D.C., March 29, 1996 -- Merchants of anti-Islamic propaganda
posing as experts on terrorism were exposed yesterday by two simple
questions asked by Mr. Enver Masud, Executive Director, The Wisdom Fund.

At a seminar on terrorism, held yesterday at the prestigious Center for
Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) of George Washington
University, all it took was two simple questions to expose these
'experts' for what they are -- merchants of anti-Islamic propaganda. The
seminar panel included the head of the CSIS terrorism project, a Voice
of America spokesman, former officials of the US Department of State,
and others from various 'think tanks.'<P>

The 'experts' delivered the usual anti-Islamic propaganda: mosques
posing as fronts for terrorists groups; the threat of the 'rogue' states
of Iran, Libya, Sudan; proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
After listening to two hours of this there was a brief period for
questions and answers. Mr. Masud, when finally permitted to speak, said,
"I have only two questions: why and why? Why is there no one on the
panel with an opposing point of view, and why would these countries want
to terrorize the United States?"<P>

"In all my years managing research programs and projects for the US
government and around the world," said Masud, "I cannot recall a single
issue as broad as terrorism on which experts did not have opposing
views. Only by sifting through opposing views could one hope to arrive
at the truth. And what motive do Iran, Libya, and Sudan have to
terrorize the US? Given that the $262 billion US defense budget accounts
for about 37 percent of global military expenditures while the six
'rogue states' -- Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Syria, North Korea -- have a
combined annual military budget of $15 billion, what do these 'rogue'
states hope to gain?"<P>

The panel on terrorism had no answer. They did, however, ask who Mr.
Masud would recommend for future panel discussions. Masud, a Muslim,
named three: William Blum -- former employee of the US Department of
State; Noam Chomsky -- youngest tenured professor at MIT; Howard Zinn --
professor at Boston University. All are of Jewish origin.

END

Serigne F. Diop

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
Assalamu Aleikum,

Mr Masud,

Was a man named Richard HAASS on the panel? I have known that man to be a
virulent antimuslim bigot. He holds a forum on the New York Times web
site on International affairs. I have tried to confront him several
times.
He was one the first "experts" to say the Muslims were to blame for the
Oklahoma bombing. Also when confronted by a muslim woman at a debate on
American University Radio, the man did not even have the decency to
retract he hate-filled lies.
Could you please let me know if he was on that panel.
I am thinking setting up a web page to inform Muslims of people like that,
so-called experts, reporters who are violently antimuslim.
Could you please give me some advice.

Wassalam.

mohammed

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96

why are you as a female still considering yourself a muslim

do you know that islam treats you as an inferior to men ??

why are men allowed to marry four times and women are only allowed one
husband ??

i have read in islamic books that because there are more women than men
that men may marry more otherwise women will not get married and turn
to prostitution !!

this is how your religion thinks of unmarried women.

if a muslim woman is raped she has to provide three male eyewitnesses
otherwise she can be stoned for adultery !!

why is it that the koran says that muslim men in heaven can have as many
virgins and drink as much wine from riversfuls of wine in heaven !!

how can god expect us to live moral lives on earth and then promise
immoral lives in heaven !!

i hope that this answers your questions

mohammed

mohammed

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96

i would like to ask a question

why is it that when muslims always say that the body should not be abused
by taking harmful things and taking drugs than why are muslims allowed to
smoke ??

can anyone please post an article and explain.
surely as smoking is injurous to health than why are muslims allowed to
smoke ??

Dien Alfred Rice

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In article <4js8uo$s...@shellx.best.com>, mohammed <musal...@wlihe.ac.uk> writes:

> i would like to ask a question
>
> why is it that when muslims always say that the body should not be abused
> by taking harmful things and taking drugs than why are muslims allowed to
> smoke ??

Some scholars say smoking is haram (prohibited), for the reason you
state. Others classify it as makruh (not good to do, but not prohibited).

I think Iran has either banned smoking or is gradually banning smoking,
for this reason. (Can someone confirm this?)

> can anyone please post an article and explain.
> surely as smoking is injurous to health than why are muslims allowed to
> smoke ??

I hope I answered your query.

You have to realize that the knowledge that smoking is harmful to your
health has only become known relatively recently, so it takes time
for these things to become acknowledged.

Farid ud-Dien Rice

Dien Alfred Rice

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
I'm not female, but anyhow....

In article <4js4sm$f...@shellx.best.com>, mohammed <sull...@wlihe.ac.uk> writes:

> why are you as a female still considering yourself a muslim
>
> do you know that islam treats you as an inferior to men ??

For Muslim men and women -
for believing men and women,
for men and women who are patient and constant,
for men and women who humble themselves,
for men and women who give in charity,
for men and women who fast (and deny themselves)
for men and women who guard their chastity,
and for men and women who engage much in God's praise -
for them has God prepared forgiveness and great reward.

Qur'an 33:35

> why are men allowed to marry four times and women are only allowed one
> husband ??

This is the exception, not the rule.

> i have read in islamic books that because there are more women than men
> that men may marry more otherwise women will not get married and turn
> to prostitution !!

Some books, I admit, do use unsophisticated arguments....

I think this issue has to be looked at in conjunction with the Islamic
view of marriage. The Prophet (s) is reported to have said that marriage
is half of religion. Since marriage is a very important _religious_
practice, it is important for people to get married. In many societies,
women do outnumber men, especially regions where there has been
war, so for everyone to get married, it may be necessary for some
men to marry more than one woman. For example, I have read somewhere
that in Cambodia, women outnumber men 2 to 1, if I remember right
(as a result of the great atrocities that were committed there).

> this is how your religion thinks of unmarried women.

[i.e. as potential prostitutes, from what he said before]

That may be how some unsophisticated Muslims have argued, but it
says that nowhere in the Qur'an or hadiths that I have seen.

> if a muslim woman is raped she has to provide three male eyewitnesses
> otherwise she can be stoned for adultery !!

On the contrary....

I have read a hadith stating that a man was punished for rape
on the sole basis of the witness of his victim.

> why is it that the koran says that muslim men in heaven can have as many
> virgins and drink as much wine from riversfuls of wine in heaven !!

There will be male and female "companions" in the Garden....
Why do you only take one, and ignore the other?

Here is how the Qur'an describes those in the Garden:

Lo! We have created them a (new) creation
and made them virgins,
lovers, friends,
for those on the right hand;
a mulititude of those of old
and a multitude of those of later time.

Qur'an 56:35-40, Pickthall translation

The Qur'an speaks here of the people in the Garden being
made "virgins" - this is a way of saying they will be
pure, like children are.

The descriptions of heaven are allegorical, to my understanding,
since this is the only way to describe something which is beyond
what you have experienced.

> how can god expect us to live moral lives on earth and then promise
> immoral lives in heaven !!

Come again? I think you must read a different Qur'an to me.

> i hope that this answers your questions

Mohammed, you didn't back up a single one of your statements with any
evidence, but merely claimed this and that. If you wish to be taken
seriously, you should provide evidence for your claims.

Farid ud-Dien Rice

Hyder Ali Khan

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
In the name of Allah(SWT), the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Greetings,

On 2 Apr 1996, mohammed wrote:

> why are you as a female still considering yourself a muslim
> do you know that islam treats you as an inferior to men ??

Let us investigate the validity of this claim.

> why are men allowed to marry four times and women are only allowed one
> husband ??

> i have read in islamic books

You have??

> that because there are more women than men

There are.

> that men may marry more otherwise women will not get married and turn
> to prostitution !!

If this were the sole reason that men are permitted to marry more than
one wife, then why aren't the majority of Muslim men making use of this
right that they are given?

Why can't women marry more than one man?

> this is how your religion thinks of unmarried women.

How does Islam view unmarried women? Could you be more specific? This
would make a very interesting subject of debate.

> if a muslim woman is raped she has to provide three male eyewitnesses
> otherwise she can be stoned for adultery !!

This is false. If a Muslim woman is raped, then she will only be stoned
for adultery if there are four witnesses to prove that she DID. If a
husband falsely accuses his wife of adultery then he will be severely
punished under Islamic law. If you read the Holy Quran you will
see how much Islam makes an effort to GUARD the chastity and reputation
of women, both married and unmarried!

> why is it that the koran says that muslim men in heaven can have as many
> virgins and drink as much wine from riversfuls of wine in heaven !!

If a Muslim is fortunate enough to be among the handful of few people
in this world who will make it through the gates of Paradise, then he
will be justly rewarded in accordance to what he deserves.

> how can god expect us to live moral lives on earth and then promise
> immoral lives in heaven !!

How is it immoral? The Holy Quran teaches us that men will be WEDDED to
these virgin women! The Holy Quran teaches us that INTOXICATING DRINKS
are forbidden to us. Is it possible that the "wine" in Paradise may not
be intoxicating?

May Allah(SWT) guide us all,
Hyder Ali Khan

Patricia A.M. Hackenschmidt

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In <4juctp$r...@shellx.best.com> Hyder Ali Khan <hkh...@uic.edu> writes:

>In the name of Allah(SWT), the Beneficent, the Merciful.
>
>Greetings,
>
>On 2 Apr 1996, mohammed wrote:

[snip]

To the originator of the post:
Assalamu Alaikum

I won't address what I cut out. I believe, Mohammed, that you really
need to read carefully the Quran before making these statements. It
would clear up many of your misconceptions.

>> why is it that the koran says that muslim men in heaven can have as
many >> virgins and drink as much wine from riversfuls of wine in
heaven !!

Hyder answered:> If a Muslim is fortunate enough to be among the

handful of few people >in this world who will make it through the gates
of Paradise, then he >will be justly rewarded in accordance to what he
deserves.

>> how can god expect us to live moral lives on earth and then promise
>> immoral lives in heaven !!
>
> How is it immoral? The Holy Quran teaches us that men will be WEDDED
to >these virgin women! The Holy Quran teaches us that INTOXICATING
DRINKS >are forbidden to us. Is it possible that the "wine" in Paradise
may not >be intoxicating?

The references in the Quran to paradise was an attempt to describe how
wonderful it is to ignorant (no knowledge of paradise) men/women in
analogies that they would understand. As to the morality issue, Hyder
is correct that the Quran states that they would be wedded to the
virgins. The Quran also states that:

Surah 45:46-47
Crystal-white, of a taste delicious to those who drink (thereof). Free
from headiness; nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom.

Surah 56:18-19
With goblets, (shining) beakers, and cups (filled) out of clear-flowing
fountains. No after-ache will they receive therefrom, nor will they
suffer intoxication.

Otherwise, you'll drink a liquid of a flavor you'll enjoy, but it won't
be intoxicating. :-)

Peace,
Hawk
--
haw...@ix.netcom.com

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"Happiness is ..."
& Iowa Pioneer <http://www.digiserve.com/ladyhawk/toc.htm
Project
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Mansour Zuair

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <4js4sm$f...@shellx.best.com> mohammed <sull...@wlihe.ac.uk> writes:
> Stupid whys!!

Why are you sending your whys? is it for knowledge?

kamaal anas

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96

|| || o ||
_o_,_\ ,;: .'_o_\ ,;: (_|_;: _o_,_,_,_;
( .. / (_) / ( .

In the name of Allah, most Beneficent, most Merciful

/ | _ \ | | |
_o_\_,_;_(_ ,o _\;__,_,_,_; :
( .. (

Assalaamu Alaikum

In article s...@shellx.best.com, mohammed <musal...@wlihe.ac.uk> writes:

> i would like to ask a question
>
> why is it that when muslims always say that the body should not be abused
> by taking harmful things and taking drugs than why are muslims allowed to
> smoke ??
>

> can anyone please post an article and explain.
> surely as smoking is injurous to health than why are muslims allowed to
> smoke ??

There are fatwas against smoking. For a detailed article about the topic,
please see The Fountain; an Islamic magazine. I do not have their address
with me, but I am sure that someone out there must have it. If you do, post
it on SRI (please), so that this person, and other people, may see a view on
the topic.

It is a very informative article.

Kamaal

Dien Alfred Rice

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
Assalamu alaikum,

Regarding smoking, an Ismaili brother just emailed me and said
that the Aga Khan (the head of the Ismaili Muslims) banned
smoking for Ismaili Muslims back in the 1800s.

Wassalam,

Farid ud-Dien Rice

Zia Hassan

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Dien Alfred Rice <phs...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:

>Regarding smoking, an Ismaili brother just emailed me and said
>that the Aga Khan (the head of the Ismaili Muslims) banned
>smoking for Ismaili Muslims back in the 1800s.

Who are the "Ismaili Muslims"? Please, tell me about them.

--
Zia Hassan
zi...@iastate.edu

Giles Davidson

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
Asalamu-alaykum

> You have to realize that the knowledge that smoking is harmful to
your
> health has only become known relatively recently, so it takes time
> for these things to become acknowledged.
>

> Farid ud-Dien Rice

Not quite!

While it is true that it is only relatively recently that medical
science has acknowledged some of the more dramatic dangers of smoking,
i.e. cancer, other dangers such as bronchitis, emphysema etc have been
known for much longer.

Moreover the nomadic peoples of North Africa, simple country folk
though they may have been, regarded smoking as haram because of the
effects on health, after all in the desert this could be a matter of
survival. See the book Desert Encounter by Knud Holmboe (Quilliam
Press) about theauthor's travels in North Africa in the 1930s.

Also others condemned it on aesthetic grounds. Sheikh Abdullah
ad-Daghestani, the previous Naqshbandi Gradsheikh said that 'Smoking
is unlovely to Allah'. It makes the breath foul and leaves a bad taste
in the mouth later, it seems unlikely that one as fastidious about his
person as the Prophet (saws) would have approved (witness his comments
on garlic). These characteristics presumably also affects ones purity
for activities such as reading Quran, dhikr etc. Smoking is addictive,
not a suitable state for a muslim. -- Giles Davidson