Was "Re: Not For Theologians Only"

James

Dec 11, 2009, 8:56:43 AM12/11/09

>"family" <brit...@bresnan.net>
>Re: Not For Theologians Only

>At our local Church we have a BIBLE study group that goes by either name;
>the coffee house theologians or the tea room theologians.
>What it tries to do, is get Church members to discuss, religious, spiritual
>or other inspiring books, that are either a comfort to them or offer a
>challenge to them; but in the best possible way.
>Because it offers the chance to think outside the box, so to speak, we have
>had some very interesting book debates
>As not everyone is reading the very same book because some book choices are
>secular in nature, but to a common theme, how good can anyone become without
>a faith in GOD.
>Some Church members have a problem asking questions about faith, while
>others have a problem answering questions about faith.
>While other Church members are just shy, but can really open up to either a
>thought provoking question or thought provoking answer.
>As we are not all reading the same book at the same time, unlike a school or
>college book study class, it makes for a very probing class study group,
>that can if need be held at any time anywhere, it does not need the Pastor
>or any Church official to lead it.
>Hence either name the tea room theologians or the coffee house theologians.
>We do however try to match whatever book is being discussed with any and all
>relevant BIBLE passages.
>This BIBLE study group is open to all ages and either gender, you do not
>even have to a member of our Church to take part, all are welcome.
>

>*GODS power is released to the degree that obedience is exercised and no
>more*

Hello,

It is good that you use the BIBLE as your touchstone. Yet,
understanding the Bible can be difficult at times. (for example see 2
Pe 3:15,16) What the Bible REALLY teaches, and what many profess that
it teaches, can be quite a chasm.

For example, the very popular literal 'hellfire' teaching. If you just
reason on it, would you burn one your children if they were bad? You
would be locked up, right? Yet humans accuse God of much greater
atrocities; burning alive countless humans FOREVER! The Bible has no
such literal teaching. Briefly, here is some proof:

Re 20:14,15 reads,

"14. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake
of fire is the second death. 15. If anyone's name was not found
written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of
fire." (NIV)

Does this not speak of a literal "hellfire"place?

No. Notice that two items are thrown into this "lake of fire", death
and Hades. Can "death be burned" in a literal fire? Death is an
abstract concept, not a literal thing that can be picked up and set on
fire. THUS THE "LAKE OF FIRE" IS A SYMBOLIC PLACE, NOT A LITERAL
PLACE.

More on this Bible subject if you have any questions or are
interested. I will use just as you do in your study groups, the BIBLE,
to support any statements I make.

Sincerely, James

***********************************
Have Jehovah's Witnesses' questions?
http://www.watchtower.org
***********************************

**please note I cannot follow all ng threads

>((( s.r.c.b-s is a moderated group. All posts are approved by a moderator. )))
>((( Read http://srcbs.org for details about this group BEFORE you post. )))

((( s.r.c.b-s is a moderated group. All posts are approved by a moderator. )))
((( Read http://srcbs.org for details about this group BEFORE you post. )))

Dave

Dec 15, 2009, 3:45:51 PM12/15/09

;
> [...]

> such literal teaching. Briefly, here is some proof:
>
> Re 20:14,15 reads,
>
> "14. =A0Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake
> of fire is the second death. 15. =A0If anyone's name was not found

> written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of
> fire." (NIV)
>
> Does this not speak of a literal "hellfire"place?
>
> No. Notice that two items are thrown into this "lake of fire", death
> and Hades. Can "death be burned" in a literal fire? Death is an
> abstract concept, not a literal thing that can be picked up and set on
> fire. THUS THE "LAKE OF FIRE" IS A SYMBOLIC PLACE, NOT A LITERAL
> PLACE.
>
> More on this Bible subject if you have any questions or are
> interested. I will use just as you do in your study groups, the BIBLE,

James, you have been rather selective in your proof-texts. What about:
Matthew 13:40-42, 49-50
Matthew 18:8-9
Matthew 25:31-46, especially vv. 41 and 46
and the parallel passages in Mark and Luke
Luke 16:20-31, especially vv. 22b-24.
John 15:6
Hebrews 10:26-27
Revelation 14:9-11

What say ye to these?

Dave

G. M. Patton

Jan 26, 2010, 9:36:03 PM1/26/10

On Dec 15 2009, 2:45=A0pm, Dave <dave_and_da...@Juno.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 7:56=3DA0am, James <bir...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
>

> > >"family" <briti...@bresnan.net>
> > >Re: Not For Theologians Only
> > >At our local Church we have a BIBLE study group that goes by either na=
me=3D

> ;
> > >the coffee house theologians or the tea room theologians.
> > >What it tries to do, is get Church members to discuss, religious, spir=
it=3D

> ual
> > >or other inspiring books, that are either a comfort to them or offer a
> > >challenge to them; but in the best possible way.
> > >Because it offers the chance to think outside the box, so to speak, we=
h=3D

> ave
> > >had some very interesting book debates
> > >As not everyone is reading the very same book because some book choice=
s =3D
> are
> > >secular in nature, but to a common theme, how good can anyone become w=
it=3D

> hout
> > >a faith in GOD.
> > >Some Church members have a problem asking questions about faith, while
> > >others have a problem answering questions about faith.
> > >While other Church members are just shy, but can really open up to eit=
he=3D

> r a
> > >thought provoking question or thought provoking answer.
> > >As we are not all reading the same book at the same time, unlike a sch=
oo=3D
> l or
> > >college book study class, it makes for a very probing class study grou=
p,
> > >that can if need be held at any time anywhere, it does not need the Pa=
st=3D

> or
> > >or any Church official to lead it.
> > >Hence either name the tea room theologians or the coffee house theolog=
ia=3D
> ns.
> > >We do however try to match whatever book is being discussed with any a=
nd=3D
> =A0all
> > >relevant BIBLE passages.
> > >This BIBLE study group is open to all ages and either gender, you do n=

ot
> > >even have to a member of our Church to take part, all are welcome.
>
> > >*GODS power is released to the degree that obedience is exercised and =

no
> > >more*
>
> > Hello,
>
> > It is good that you use the BIBLE as your touchstone. Yet,
> > understanding the Bible can be difficult at times. (for example see 2
> > Pe 3:15,16) What the Bible REALLY teaches, and what many profess that
> > it teaches, can be quite a chasm.
>
> > For example, the very popular literal 'hellfire' teaching. If you just
> > reason on it, would you burn one your children if they were bad? You
> > would be locked up, right? Yet humans accuse God of much greater
> > atrocities; burning alive countless humans FOREVER! The Bible has no
> > such literal teaching. Briefly, here is some proof:
>
> > Re 20:14,15 reads,
>
> > "14. =3DA0Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The l=
ake
> > of fire is the second death. 15. =3DA0If anyone's name was not found

> > written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of
> > fire." (NIV)
>
> > Does this not speak of a literal "hellfire"place?
>
> > No. Notice that two items are thrown into this "lake of fire", death
> > and Hades. Can "death be burned" in a literal fire? Death is an
> > abstract concept, not a literal thing that can be picked up and set on
> > fire. THUS THE "LAKE OF FIRE" IS A SYMBOLIC PLACE, NOT A LITERAL
> > PLACE.
>
> > More on this Bible subject if you have any questions or are
> > interested. I will use just as you do in your study groups, the BIBLE,
> > to support any statements I make.
>
> > Sincerely, James
>
> James, you have been rather selective in your proof-texts. What about:
> Matthew 13:40-42, 49-50
> Matthew 18:8-9
> Matthew 25:31-46, especially vv. 41 and 46
> and the parallel passages in Mark and Luke
> Luke 16:20-31, especially vv. 22b-24.
> John 15:6
> Hebrews 10:26-27
> Revelation 14:9-11
>
> What say ye to these?

They are very interesting, at least some are parables. So I think we
need to try to find the meaning of the parables. Jesus taught the
public using parables. (See Mark 4:33-34)